guessing the age

Help Support CattleToday:

tazzer

Reaction score
First off, iv been checking the post out and finding a great deal of info, Im just getting started into cows so bare with me.

I bought three brangus heifers off a friend and not sure of the ages.
he got a herd from a widow who knew nothing about them.
I got them in dec. and the youngest one I had to pen for two weeks so she would calm down and not run to the other side of the county.

also got my daughter into FFA and showing a heifer as well, shes loving it as am I

Heres the heifer Im wondering about, when I took them to the vet in dec. they said the older two where around 10-11 months and the younger was 6-7 but she looks younger to me but I have no clue.

thanks

heres here heifer

There is no real way to know without herd records. I would agree with the vet clinic guys on the approximate ages. BTW, that is a nice Brahman heifer you got for your daughter. Hope you have fun.

Thanks BC, the guy I got them from is going to look and see when he bought them as all three where already born and im going fig from that point on the little one and make sure I give her enough time to mature before having her breed.

we are having a blast with the Brahman heifer, she is spoiled as all get out and has bonded to the point she will lay her head in Chelsys lap to sleep lol.

Among breeds of cattle, it seems like Brahmans are the closest you can get to a good dog.

IMO, if you go 1 yr from the date of those pics you will be ok. If they are 2 mo old in the pic you will be breeding them at 14 mo if they are 4 mo old in pic you will be breeding at 16 mo. Both and every thing in between are acceptable. When in doubt, it never hurts to give them an extra month or two.

Again, that's just my opinion.

Don't get dead set on breeding those two heifers. Judging animals that young, especially with no history, is always a crap shoot. One may turn out real nice, the other may be junk. You may not know until they mature what you really have.

quick question, if these two's mamma have had calfs, which they have then that would put them at at least in the 10 month range right ?

Im new to all this and just want to learn as much as I can, and I dont have to be set on breeding them :cboy:

Not sure I understand the quesiton. Most cows calve for the first time at 18-24 months. Usually bred the first time at 11-12 months. Gestation is around 9 months
There is a book "A guide to raising beef cattle" by Heather Smith Thomas that would be a good starter.

tazzer":1p2hk27w said:
quick question, if these two's mamma have had calfs, which they have then that would put them at at least in the 10 month range right ?

Im new to all this and just want to learn as much as I can, and I dont have to be set on breeding them :cboy:

Yes. If the moms of your two heifers have had calves, after the two you bought, then yes the two you bought would be at least 10 months old.

I agree with Dun, great looking Brahman heifer she should do well for ya in the show ring. That age is hard to tell on Brangus but as mention wait at least a year for breeding them.

a little update, found out yesterday that my friend got the heard in aug. of 2015 and three calfs where on the ground with the two older heifers I have being 4-5 months old in aug. and the little one 2-3 months.

The little Brahman was born june 5-2015 and we have done taken her to Ft.worth and Houston. She got 9 out 26 and 8 out of 18. Not bad for being both of them's first shows

Latest posts