guess my age please

Help Support CattleToday:

Is it a game, where you know the age, or trying to figure it out? The body looks to me like a 3-4 month old calf, but the head makes it look like it's older. Could just be the pic and my bad judgement.

M.Magis":33v1vkrl said:
Is it a game, where you know the age, or trying to figure it out? The body looks to me like a 3-4 month old calf, but the head makes it look like it's older. Could just be the pic and my bad judgement.

No sir, no game. I bought em as a pair, calfs been sold. Cow came up missing in head count yesterday. Usually means they 've had the their calf. I wasn't expecting her to calf till spring. Looked for her most of the day today. Did find a lone set of tracks made since the rain , up on a rocky hill were the cows don't go much. I'm thinking she might have been bred when I bought her and has had her calf.
It is what it is... just running things through my mind. If I had expected her to calf she would have been at home.

Photo was taken June 3

I'd bet that calf is at least 6 months old In the pic.. Maybe older because his head is getting long ..I'd bet she had the new calf.

I was thinking 6 to 7 months.

If she's off to herself, I too would be thinking that she's calved. Either that or she was sick and went to lay down in the brush.

Did you find her yet? Hopefully she went off to give you a bonus calf and is back with the herd by now.

The calf looks about 5 months to me... but even it was a bit younger she still could easily have been bred before you brought her home. She could've had this tan calf in the beginning of March and re-bred late March and had another calf again now.

creekdrive":258mkgxu said:
Did you find her yet? Hopefully she went off to give you a bonus calf and is back with the herd by now.

The calf looks about 5 months to me... but even it was a bit younger she still could easily have been bred before you brought her home. She could've had this tan calf in the beginning of March and re-bred late March and had another calf again now.

She's showed back up with the herd. Yesterday. Looks a little off and is drawn. Does not appear to have had a calf. Idk. Glad she's back. She's kinda timid at the bottom of the pecking order. We just started feeding hay , maybe she got ran off. Maybe sick. Maybe has a calf but I don't think so. I didn't get a real good look, but she sure looks dry to me. If the calf was is old as lots of you think, she was probably sold to me for coming up open.
I checked my records. I've got her number ,"with bull" on July 12.
Just means I saw the bull courting her. Not definite, but it is pretty accurate. Something happened?idk
Thanks everyone

Latest posts