Guess I'm back in the Horse business.. (Now with pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
A good friend of mine has a Spotted Saddle Mare and filly at side that he wants to give to me.

He has far too many on his place and looking to unload a couple. The mare is 12 yr. old and the filly coming 1 yr. Palomino and red respectively.

While I aint a big fan of Saddle horses for workin cattle, (I much prefer a Quarterhorse), I don't guess I ought to look a gifthorse in the mouth! :shock:

wow, I sure would! LOL
Pretty bad time to be getting back into the horse business. The slaughter plants closing and the economy have been killers.

You may get all spoiled..They'll be real good to check fence or trail ride on....Shoot,wish I was fixed up (and 30-40 years younger) I'd try to talk you out of 'em :)

WarPaint, welcome back to the dark side. :D Don't let that saddle horse bother you. You can still work cattle on her. She might not be a world class penner, cutter, or cutting horse but you can still work pasture cows on her if she ain't scared of them. I have seen QH's that wouldn't get near a cow so it is possible.

Years back I thought I had got rid of that horse blood running through my veins but I guess you if you have it, you can't get away from it. I am so happy to be messing with horses again after a hiatus.

Well, the pair has been brought to the house. Thinkin real strong about givin the filly to my granddaughter, and keepin the mare. Time will tell, as the mare aint been rode in 3 years, and this weekend, me and her are gonna have us a time. :cboy:

warpaint":2y4x9ddt said:
Well, the pair has been brought to the house. Thinkin real strong about givin the filly to my granddaughter, and keepin the mare. Time will tell, as the mare aint been rode in 3 years, and this weekend, me and her are gonna have us a time. :cboy:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :D Just go slow with her. You know females they don't like to be rushed. :lol2: Do you know if she had any bad habits before when she was being rode? If not, saddle her up, put her on a lounge line, spin her around a bit to see if reacts to the saddle. If not climb aboard. :cowboy:

flaboy":398yw29l said:
warpaint":398yw29l said:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :D Just go slow with her. You know females they don't like to be rushed. :lol2: Do you know if she had any bad habits before when she was being rode? If not, saddle her up, put her on a lounge line, spin her around a bit to see if reacts to the saddle. If not climb aboard. :cowboy:

She don't have any bad habits to my knowledge. Everybody that rode her then, swears she's dead broke. I sure hope so, cause my bones is alot more brittle than they used to be. :cowboy:

warpaint":1fmo476c said:
aw, she'll be fine. I got back on a mare who hadnt been ridden in 9 years. Lunged her abit, then I climbed on and had hubs lunge me and then he snapped off the lead and we were off. Comes down to how well she was broke and what her mind is like. The good ones may get rusty, but they remember it and dont act a fool.

spinandslide":2kzwr2vd said:
warpaint":2kzwr2vd said:
aw, she'll be fine. I got back on a mare who hadnt been ridden in 9 years. Lunged her abit, then I climbed on and had hubs lunge me and then he snapped off the lead and we were off. Comes down to how well she was broke and what her mind is like. The good ones may get rusty, but they remember it and dont act a fool.

You are right. Someone just gave a friend of mine a nice 8YO QH gelding that hadn't been rode in several years. Apparently he had been trained well as he is no problem. The first time at a canter he wanted to show his butt a little but he hasn't forgotten.

My dad used to have a stud that he only rode during hunting season. He was good to go every year with no problems.

flaboy":kolc8692 said:
spinandslide":kolc8692 said:
warpaint":kolc8692 said:

You are right. Someone just gave a friend of mine a nice 8YO QH gelding that hadn't been rode in several years. Apparently he had been trained well as he is no problem. The first time at a canter he wanted to show his butt a little but he hasn't forgotten.

My dad used to have a stud that he only rode during hunting season. He was good to go every year with no problems.
Yep, the mare I mentioned above was one of the best horses Ive ever owned, hate that I sold her, I wish I knew where she was.

I have a mare that sat for 8 months and then I pulled her up and rode her at a show..not a whole bunch of people, but we won our class..good girl! :D

It turns out the mare will only stand about 14.5hh instead of the 15.5 that I was told.

100_0230.jpg

100_0229.jpg

100_0231.jpg

Latest posts