Guess how old...

Help Support CattleToday:

Tx-beefmaster-showman

Reaction score
HOW OLD AM I?

Her name is Red
RED_1.jpg

Just thought this could be interesting...

Well, i got this old cow from my granddad when he retired, and it has been there for a loooong time. I am assuming that it is not harmful... I dont really know what it is called though, maybe belly-button :lol: :lol:
But i really dont know, im sure someone who posts here will know though.

Do you breed any cattle in particular, or just a variety?

I had a vet tell me once it's flies that do that (take hair off) it's right along the milk vein?

I am not sure I buy that but it shut me up for a while.

It's hard to guess these days. I am seeing a lot of senior cows still spitting babies out and holding their condition well.
If she is an older cow and still producing, I would retain some heifers from her since she is a really nice cow.
If I had walked out in the pasture and looked at her, I would have guessed around 8 to 10. She might be closer to 20 if she has been there forever. We have some between 15 and 20 still having babies and holding their condition.
Chuckie

Agree with Chuckie, my guess would be about 8 yrs old (her muzzle does not seem very wide nor does her feet what you can see, her udder kinda shows a little age but, certainly not bad) If she is much older than 8 she needs to share her secret.

blk mule

I don't think that cow is all that old, at least if she is she has aged very well. 8-10 guessing. I think its fatty tissue on her belly.

Don't know what that tag means but even though an "I" isn't supposed to be used in the alpha designation for year born, some do. I know I did before I knew better. I would say she is an 8 year old. The hanging under her belly is where the cord was attached. Just like some of us have "innies" or "outies", so do cattle. May be caused by how easy the cord breaks at birth but I don't know. I have some cows like that and others that are fairly smooth tummies.

i bet that cow has done lost her top front teeth. she looks about 10ish give or take a few years. i call that spot on her an underline callous. dont know what you technically call it.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":1gqeink7 said:
Well, i got this old cow from my granddad when he retired, and it has been there for a loooong time. I am assuming that it is not harmful... I dont really know what it is called though, maybe belly-button :lol: :lol:
But i really dont know, im sure someone who posts here will know though.

Do you breed any cattle in particular, or just a variety?

I run mostly commercial brangus type cows.

I will guess 12, but doesn't matter as she looks likes she is fixing to calve, and good for several more. Longevity is a beefmaster asset.

maybe belly-button
What's funny about that. That's what I call it. Tried to convince my grandaughter it was a built in fly catcher. She wouldn' buy it. :lol: :lol:

I'm going with 12 years 3 months and I challenge anybody to prove me wrong. I'll also say she is 5/64ths brahman, what say you Alacowman?

Several of our cattle have those growths, sometimes multiple growths, on their underline flap. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the navel. I thought maybe they were caused by abrasion with grass stems and brush but if your pastures are short and clean I guess you could dispel that theory. At any rate they don't seem to cause any harm.

Latest posts