growth on cervix... any hope any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

Paradiso

Reaction score
Hi there,

My beautiful, faithful and usually plentiful Jersey housecow has a (roughly) 'grapefruit sized growth on her cervix'
according to the person who came to artificially inseminate her about a month ago.
Jetty (the cow) is 6 y.o. has had 3 fine pregnancies (the last birth a year ago had to be helped because the calf was huge) and has been in great health except for coming down with milk fever (rectified quickly by calcium intraveneously given by vet) about 6 months ago when we thought she was pregnant.
It turned out she wasn't pregnant, so after 2 heats (about a month ago) the artificial insemination person came to inseminate her and found this rock hard growth. She said it was not a mummified calf and she could not do anything with my cow (in terms of getting her pregnant). She knows the vet and seems to think he will say send her to the meat works as she herself said.. said it would cost a fortune to treat and she would not breed/milk again.
I would dearly love to help my cow and get milk again. One idea is to get the vet's opinion/a test done (if it is not too outrageously priced) to determine if it is malign or not. If it is, when she shows signs of illness, kill the cow at home (I don't want her to be transported, resold, bought, transported again then more stressed then killed).
If she looks ok to survive but definitely not produce calves (and milk) again... find her a good home where she can mow someone's lawn for a long time. I have not the space to keep her if she is to live long without milk, because I need a cow with milk... In the meantime Jetty looks so healthy and happy... as gentle and playful (running, jumping and asking for back rubs) as she usually is.
Wishful thinking perhaps, but wonder if anyone out there has had any good results with treating these sorts of growths or any experience at all? I'd be so thankful for any helpful responses.

I guess I just don't get it. On the one hand you obviously have a lot of affection for this animal. On the other hand you don't seem to want to pay for ONE vet call on her behalf to get a professional opinion.

Sorry, we've never had anything like this with our cattle so I have no experience to share. It sounds pretty grim. Get a vet. If there is a veterinary college in your area and you could haul her there, you would likely get the most treatment for the lowest price.

Have her examined by your veterinarian.
Could be nothing more than a benign tumor of smooth muscle & connective tissue(leiomyoma/fibroleiomyoma). I've seen some of these, and often they are pedunculated - on a thin 'stalk', and easy to remove.

But, unknown persons on an internet chat site can only guess. You need 'boots on the ground' - your veterinarian - to tell you whether it's good or bad - or, at least to collect samples so that you can find out what the prognosis is.

Lucky_P":28q7sp94 said:
Have her examined by your veterinarian.
Could be nothing more than a benign tumor of smooth muscle & connective tissue(leiomyoma/fibroleiomyoma). I've seen some of these, and often they are pedunculated - on a thin 'stalk', and easy to remove.

But, unknown persons on an internet chat site can only guess. You need 'boots on the ground' - your veterinarian - to tell you whether it's good or bad - or, at least to collect samples so that you can find out what the prognosis is.
We had a cow that had benign calcification tumors in her repro tract, (and it turns out elsewhere too). Felt one about the size of half a loaf of bred when I AIed her. She settled and calved with no problems. 6 weeks later something happened with them (don;t recall exactly what the vet said) and she started loosing weight. The vet palpated her and felt something that he just couldn;t figure out so he opened her up. Turned out that the ones inside, like on her liver, kidneys, intestines, etc. had grown so big she couldn;t eat anything.