Growing Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus, Watusi are considered exotic cattle around where I am, not to mention probably expensive and not something you would find at our sale. She is also very smooth polled, I would expect watusi crosses to have horns. I could be wrong on the guess, it was just what I figured given her characteristics, and she was brought with other shorthorns because her tag was numbered close to the ones she was penned with. Thank you for mentioning that breed though, they are really pretty to look at.

Thank you cowgirl, and Thank you williams! I haven't seen any other difference in his weight gain other than his muscles are a bit sinewy. :)

Here is a better picture of her, she's a really calm heifer. I watched a black pair, young cow, today sell for $3575, but she seemed pretty average.
tumblr_n9ufex2r0j1rdftrko1_1280.png

I agree. Everything looks good. That is a pretty heifer. Prices are up here again this week. I wonder how much higher they can go?
We are very dry here in Middle GA. Your grass is so pretty. Ours was like that all last summer, but high temperatures and little rainfall have really taken a toll on our pastures this summer.
Always enjoy your pictures. Maybe one day I can send some pictures of mine.

Thanks chippie, we were actually able to get hay off of that field, which is our cow pasture, because we don't have as many cows as we used to, about 70 acres give or take with less than 30 head. We also get hay off of two other pastures, so we are set for winter and then some.

Thanks williams, someone brought I think 38 young pairs, cows were only 2-5 year old so prices were really high today. Most pairs were bringing very close to 3k. I hope they stay up, I still have a couple calves to sell and might sell a first calver pair if I want to. We're thinking about buying some skinny cows this winter to fatten them up if they go down, since we have extra hay. We have been fortunate this year, plenty of rain and a very cool summer, it's been less than 100 all summer until the past few days. The past few years we were in a pretty bad drought, but we've come out of it pretty well. Thanks! I would definitely enjoy looking at them, I've only been to Georgia once and it was when I was pretty young.

Checked on cows a little bit ago. Everyone is looking great, calves are growing off very good. I will have 2 heifers to pen up to wean in a couple weeks.
Here is a heifer that will be 2 this November. She is the daughter of my oldest cow who also raises my heaviest calves.
tumblr_na7x0pnALa1rdftrko1_1280.jpg

Heifer I will wean in a couple weeks. Around 6 months. Angus x f1, afraid she will have some nub horns. Mom has horns and full sister has around 5 inch ones. Sorry for the bad pose.
tumblr_na7ygh14ju1rdftrko2_1280.jpg

Some calves- my longhorn cross and rattail.
tumblr_na7ygh14ju1rdftrko1_1280.jpg

Sorry I haven't posted many pictures, school has started crazy this year. I will try to get my rattail calf up next week if I can. Including him, I have 3 bull calves that need to be sold soon and one younger one who was born late. We start calving in November, but I might possible have a couple earlier ones. I have 4 first calvers this season, so we will have to watch close. I figure they will calve early next year or spring, but I can't be sure.
My longhorn x heifer. She is turning out better than I expected, but she's still growing, so we will see.
Yoga :lol:
tumblr_nbcgwlPdt41rdftrko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbch7tw34j1rdftrko1_1280.jpg

British White x heifer, sorry for bad pose.
tumblr_nbchhyezzE1rdftrko1_500.jpg

One of the heifers who will calve this season. Her mom is one of my biggest cows and raised one of my favorite calves.
tumblr_nbchkuHzik1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Looking good. Please post a picture of rattail before you sell. Thanks for sharing.

Rosielou said:
Checked on cows a little bit ago. Everyone is looking great, calves are growing off very good. I will have 2 heifers to pen up to wean in a couple weeks.
Here is a heifer that will be 2 this November. She is the daughter of my oldest cow who also raises my heaviest calves.
tumblr_na7x0pnALa1rdftrko1_1280.jpg

quote]

That is a beautiful heifer. I really like her depth.

Thank you! I wish I had a few more like her, she is the only heifer I have out of that cow, and I love that cow to death, so if she is anything like her Momma she will be my next favorite.

I have been so busy lately I haven't had time for pictures or posting. These are probably the last pictures I will make on this thread since all the calves on this are weaned(except a late calf). When they start calving this season I'll make a new thread.
Calf is out of my f1 tiger momma and angus bull. She originally was born a red/orange/brown but has faded to a dark mahogany. I like how thick she is but hate how it's almost impossible to take a picture of her at a good angle!
Around 8-9 months but closer to 9.
tumblr_ne8gp2AeES1rdftrko3_1280.jpg

This is Gabriell and is a sister to the heifer above and just weaned her first calf at 545 lbs.
tumblr_ne8gp2AeES1rdftrko1_500.jpg

I bought this heifer August 2013 at cheap feeder price because I had some money from selling a bull calf. She was sort of an experiment, I guess. I wasn't expecting her to be much but she has a good personality and isn't anything special, but I was surprised at how she has turned out. I hope she will make a good momma. I usually like cows with a brahman influence but I like how straight she looks.
She progressed from this
tumblr_mqzvvaag2L1rdftrko2_500.jpg

To this.
tumblr_ne8f9o11tu1rdftrko1_500.jpg

Looking good! Thanks for sharing. The little heifer is making a pretty cow. I like her.

Latest posts