Greenhouse grown fodder for dairy cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Von Helman

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am a long time lurker and now a new member here and I'd like to open a discussion on greenhouse fodder for cattle.
We have had a greenhouse here where we produced fodder (Barley) for sheep and it worked out really well. Now I am building a new greenhouse and larger project and would like to ask a few questions and see if anyone else is feeding dairy cattle with greenhouse fodder such as miniature lettuce or other types of greenhouse grown fodder.

Here is an example

http://www.verticrop.com/about.html

Also anyone with feed lot experience I'd like to know how many dairy cattle can be housed in a 25,000 sq ft corral when they are being fed daily like a feed lot. I already have an idea but I want others to chime in and give me their opinions.

thank you

A good dairy cow will starve to death with a belly full of lettuce. Without checking I'd guess that it's probably 90% water.

ok let me say I am also plan to feed it barley but the entire post is about what types of greenhouse items should be fed to dairy cows..

I agree on lettuce alone not being enough .. sorry for not being more clear..

Sounds to me like you're going to have some mighty hungry cows after a week or two.

What would be the point of an operation like this? Tax write-off?

Von Helman":l0awqu6x said:
ok let me say I am also plan to feed it barley but the entire post is about what types of greenhouse items should be fed to dairy cows..

I agree on lettuce alone not being enough .. sorry for not being more clear..
Can you just grow some good grass in the greenhouse??

I would think that most of crops you could grow to produce feed in this sort of system has a too high seed cost to be viable. If barley works keep to it. I know this is what they use in containerized systems.

I'm sorry V H but I don't understand unless you don't have the land at your disposal why you would try to grow enough forage for cows in a green house.I must be missing something. :???:

TexasBred":18pve5xi said:

Well I plan to grow a lot of Barley for the sheep but I was just wondering if anyone else was doing such a system and if they had any type of "roughage" suggestions. Like I said we have done this barley fodder for sheep and it works great.

gonzo":2qt5g5qq said:
I'm sorry V H but I don't understand unless you don't have the land at your disposal why you would try to grow enough forage for cows in a green house.I must be missing something. :???:

That's basically it,

What I am trying to do is create a system for dairy cows where they can be kept in a small lot of land and have their feed produced on site in a greenhouse. This project is to help better make use of land and limited resources and to be a working model, thats all. you know try something new and improve on whats already out there.

Guess I have too much time on my hands huh? :D

personally I can not imagine the green house capacity needed to produce feed for a single cow on a daily basis year round. Especially a dairy cow.

can some one quantify this for me. I know how much a cow eats.....what I don't know is how much greenhouse space it would take to raise feed for one cow to feed her completly.

According to the site above you can produce 500 lbs per day in the smallest greenhouse. They show the variable cost as $76 per ton. The capital cost would probably be equivalent to purchasing hay making equipments. I don't buy all of it, but i do think hydroponics (sp?) will become more more important in food production in the futures.

Von Helman":184znz6h said:
TexasBred":184znz6h said:

Well I plan to grow a lot of Barley for the sheep but I was just wondering if anyone else was doing such a system and if they had any type of "roughage" suggestions. Like I said we have done this barley fodder for sheep and it works great.
The probelm with trying this method on cattle is simply the huge amount of dry matter intake necessary for milk production. Everything you grow in that greenhouse is going to be extremely high moisture requiring a tremendous amount of intake to amount to the needed dry matter.

The labor is also a lot more extensive then one would think. We at one time had a neighbor that had a hydroponic greenhouse and it wasn;t nearly as simple as people would have you believe.

Howdyjabo":1ssp76it said:
I'd be more curious about the algae that is being experimented with.
Call the Whitehouse...that might qualify for a green energy credit as well as an automatic grant for expansion. (no repayment necessary). ;-)

Do you return those flats of grass back to the greenhouse to grow some more after they have been grazed, or do you reseed them. I kinda like the concept for a horse or two that you are stalling. I can't see me doing it, i just like the concept. When I was still raising tobacco the gas to heat a greenhouse on a cold night was outrageous. You didn't seed a tobacco greenhouse till almost spring. That thing would eat you alive growing something in January and december.

Douglas":3icy7awt said:
According to the site above you can produce 500 lbs per day in the smallest greenhouse. They show the variable cost as $76 per ton. The capital cost would probably be equivalent to purchasing hay making equipments. I don't buy all of it, but i do think hydroponics (sp?) will become more more important in food production in the futures.

by my country boy calculations this would feed one dairy cow one day.

so you would need 7 of this size units to feed the cow for a week and uisng the seven day regeneration claims you could feed one cow.

Land would have to be awfully expensive to justify greenhouse expenses like this for feed.

Here are some still images I screen saved from a video that might help some of you visualize what I am referring to. These trays are stacked 7 high and two deep on each side of the rack. The fodder itself is completely removed and along with the roots and the grass it is fed to the animal. Then the trays are re-seeded and a cycle of growth is 7 days from the time its seeded to ready for feed.

Again I am just asking because some people I talk with say these animals cannot live on green fodder alone and need dry food to supplement their diet while others say that the fodder is fine by itself and there is nothing else needed.

greenhouse1.jpg

greenhouse3.jpg

greenhouses7.jpg

greenhouses6.jpg

Latest posts