Green Tifton 85 stem end of January?

Help Support CattleToday:

CJohnson

Reaction score
I was out checking cows / pastures this morning and drove through the field that I sprigged last spring in Tifton 85, noticed there were stems that were green! I could not believe it, stopped the 4 wheeler and got down on my hands and knees to be sure it was bermuda and not winter weed or something else. I found several green stems. I am in E Texas 90 miles SE of Dallas. Burmuda should be dormant in January here. I don't have much experience with Tifton yet, mostly coastal, and it will stay dormant usually until March. I have read that Tifton is more cold tolerant and will grow later in the fall and come out earlier in the spring than coastal. Anybody else with this experience?

I saw some coastal in with rye and clover yeasterday. Freaked me out. If I get time I'll go out and check the Tifton 85 today.

Yep....weeks of 70 to 80 degree days and a little moisture has that effect....The grass doesn't know it's January.

My common Bermuda is greened up nice even with no rain.
Once we get into a decent rain pattern I'm going to seed the new field in the t9.

CJohnson":1nvtn6iu said:
I was out checking cows / pastures this morning and drove through the field that I sprigged last spring in Tifton 85, noticed there were stems that were green! I could not believe it, stopped the 4 wheeler and got down on my hands and knees to be sure it was bermuda and not winter weed or something else. I found several green stems. I am in E Texas 90 miles SE of Dallas. Burmuda should be dormant in January here. I don't have much experience with Tifton yet, mostly coastal, and it will stay dormant usually until March. I have read that Tifton is more cold tolerant and will grow later in the fall and come out earlier in the spring than coastal. Anybody else with this experience?

It may come out earlier and grow later but most of what Ive read a few days of sustained 20 degree temps can kill it back some. Im not sure it is more cold tolerant at colder temps.

Jed have you ever planted clipping in the spring and if you did did you sprig or spread and disc in, planing on planting 60@ this spring with clipping off my hybrid.

mikegahr":dj82is8s said:
Jed have you ever planted clipping in the spring and if you did did you sprig or spread and disc in, planing on planting 60@ this spring with clipping off my hybrid.
Never have, all we've done is seed for common. Now that we are getting all the way into the hay business were think of springing some 44 or 85, haven't done enough research yet though.

I sprigged my 85 with a disc . The first pasture was with roots and the second was with tops . The tops didn't take as well but it still works .

I believe it. It was 72 here today and there's mosquitos quarter size swarmin. What you don't want is a hard freeze after that coastal wakes up.

We planted more jiggs than I can remember by shaking it out and disking it in. They would sickle cut a field and either pitch fork it or square bale it. Some got sold and some went to other pastures. It worked well.... but as far as work goes it was torture.

jedstivers":2qj9cjiv said:
mikegahr":2qj9cjiv said:
Never have, all we've done is seed for common. Now that we are getting all the way into the hay business were think of springing some 44 or 85, haven't done enough research yet though.
Have you looked into Vaughn's. I think the patent on it expires this so i may be a little cheaper then when i planted it. When we planted it, it was 800.00 for 5@ then it went down to 130.00@.

Latest posts