green cheerio bands

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
just curious what you all think about them, they say thell do 250lb and less which i don't think I'd go more than 200 but is there anything wrong with putting 2 bands on? can't think of a reason it would hurt anything. just seems like it'd be better on the bigger ones. and those of you that use them on day old calves are the sacks ever too small to band? I have seen a few that I just didn't feel confident it would work so I let them go

I've always put two bands on. I don't know if it is necessary, but that was how I was taught. The second one only takes a few seconds once you have the first one in place and for about a penny, you have insurance should one get nicked and break.

At one time I did each calf within a few days of birth, but now I wait about 6 weeks from when the first calf is born. By then we are usually about done calving and I can get them all at the same time. It seems a little easier to me to get hold of both and the calves are all still pretty small. The bulls are in for 8 weeks. Once the last calf is born I get the rest.

I've not had any issues so far. I band em mostly while they are still wet.

Tho that wasn't possible with my fall calvers. Some I had to wait a week or so. I'll admit they were easier to "count to two"!

We had a thread on here that discussed cheerios vs tribander. If I remember correctly multiple people had better experience with the tribander including myself.

I tried the green cheerios first. The calves were slow to drop the sacks. They were also harder to get on because of the tool. The calves also showed discomfort.

When I started using the tribander per recommendations on here it was much easier. I noticed the calves dropped everything noticeably faster and there was less discomfort until they dropped.

I carry both the tribander and xl bander now. Letting them get to #300+ has actually worked better for us. We run then down the chute and a hold them in the squeeze just like the cattle. Some one here also recommended that. No special calf equipment or having to man handle them or any thing like that.

The green cheerios work fine on a calf under 200 pounds and it was only 99 cents per 100 bands at our local farm store last time I bought some. I have never had an issue getting them on most calves, although there is some wiggling required to pull the more well endowed ones through the ring. It can usually be accomplished in under 10 seconds, except for those few individuals that seem to hide a testicle way up high in their abdomen. I have done enough over the years, that I can usually fish even those out in less than a minute. I have observed very little discomfort when calves are banded at an early age using the cheerios.
I think the Tribander would be a good choice if you are not banding them until they are already 300 pounds, but if you are doing it in the first month or two, it probably is unnecessary. Those bands and the tool are both considerably more expensive. They wanted over $38 for 100 bands when I did a search online.

I used green cheerios on some bull calves I bought last fall that were pushing 350 lbs. Sack first and then one nut at a time through the band. They never looked back compared to knife cutting them.

We band all our own within 25 hours of birth.

Buy new bands every year, throw the old ones away!

The green Cheerios are great if you're banding right away. I was taught to band within the first day of calving. They show zero discomfort and no, the sack is never too small even on a day old calf, just make sure you have both nuts. Banding at day one is also less risk for tetanus. Much easier to hold them down when they are only a day old too!

Two bands won't hurt anything.

The calves are never to little to band as long as both testicles have dropped.

The green bands get tight enough to work on the neighborhood tom cats.:D

I totally agree with using the cheerios under 250#. We generally band within 24 hours. I also like to let mom clean them up & they get dry and nursed before we tag, weigh, SE & ADE shots, iodine naval and castrate. If a bull that we leave a bull does not meet our expectations - temperament, growth, looks - and we make that decision after they are 250#, we cut.
Banding is soooo easy. Calf never looks back. Who cares if it may take a week longer?? As long as the calf isn't uncomfortable.
The only thing I might worry about putting 2 cheerios (or any bands) is moisture between the two bands. In my mind, that might make tetanus more of a potential problem?? I'm asking more than stating a fact.

We had a thread on here that discussed cheerios vs tribander. If I remember correctly multiple people had better experience with the tribander including myself.

I tried the green cheerios first. The calves were slow to drop the sacks. They were also harder to get on because of the tool. The calves also showed discomfort.

When I started using the tribander per recommendations on here it was much easier. I noticed the calves dropped everything noticeably faster and there was less discomfort until they dropped.

I carry both the tribander and xl bander now. Letting them get to #300+ has actually worked better for us. We run then down the chute and a hold them in the squeeze just like the cattle. Some one here also recommended that. No special calf equipment or having to man handle them or any thing like that.
I was told it's better to get the steer a little older "3 months?" So the growth hormones can get established.
If's there's anything to this I'm not sure?

Found the (long!) thread @Brute 23 was talking about. Lots of good information. And based on my experiment last year, I'm reserving the cheerios for only the smallest of calves.

Still can't get my head wrapped around the potential for flies from rotting testicles. Took two to have the vet cut at 6 weeks-they never even flinched. No flies, no stink. Guaranteed they're gone too😉

Mine get the cheerio when I tag, which is within 24 hours. I like them to be dry enough to get a grip on things and for the dehorning paste to work.
Can you tell when they are that young that they will be getting horns, or are you using it to make sure they don't ?

I was told it's better to get the steer a little older "3 months?" So the growth hormones can get established.
If's there's anything to this I'm not sure?
Out of all the articles I read there was no indication that one time was better than another. I strictly do it at that size for the ease and efficiency. Taking on the added costs of special calf equipment, man power, or being there daily all through calving season defeats the purpose of the added value of selling steers for us. We are already going to be working cattle and matching up calves at around that time so it was easier to do it then.

In my experience, when those calves get larger testes that have dropped from their body it is way easier to band. They are not sucking them up and all that stuff. You can slide that xl tribander right up and you have plenty of room between the testes and the body. I can see how testicles get missed when its done at birth. Not much to work with. The bigger the better up until weaning, IMO.

Still can't get my head wrapped around the potential for flies from rotting testicles. Took two to have the vet cut at 6 weeks-they never even flinched. No flies, no stink. Guaranteed they're gone too😉
I have never been a huge fan of banding. (I've done a lot of is at the sale barn) My calves usually get a Newberry knife and a two count. Last year extenuating circumstances caused me to not get my calves castrated until after they were weaned. I broke down and bought a Callicrate banded. It did what it was supposed to do, but my calves will get cut before the pairs go to pasture this year.

Just FYI; flies can be a problem when cutting too. A little Catron II or pine tar is pretty cheap short term fly repellent.

Latest posts