Blue-green algae

Help Support CattleToday:

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
How do the cattle drink from the lake? If you can run a pump, put the intake at 5' + deep to avoid the thermocline that the algae is in.
And yes, I get what you're saying. But with the watershed 60 acres, we had to fence off all access. Running a pump to a stock tank would be a minimum half mile. As of now, they can drink from the creek, fountain at the barn and south pond in that pasture. That said, I talked to my vet yesterday and, assuming the forecast is correct, we should get rain & lower temps probably tomorrow evening and should be able to confidently open access by the weekend.

Travlr

Reaction score
And yes, I get what you're saying. But with the watershed 60 acres, we had to fence off all access. Running a pump to a stock tank would be a minimum half mile. As of now, they can drink from the creek, fountain at the barn and south pond in that pasture. That said, I talked to my vet yesterday and, assuming the forecast is correct, we should get rain & lower temps probably tomorrow evening and should be able to confidently open access by the weekend.
That quickly? Really? That's amazing.

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
I certainly hope your right!
I'm gonna wash all the cars and leave the square baler outside in hopes it pours for several days!

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
That quickly? Really? That's amazing.
It usually goes away within 2-4 weeks, closer to 2 if weather conditions change, i.e. rain, lower temps, higher wind. Weather sources are already posting alerts for potential flooding, starting tomorrow, and a 20 degree drop in temp. Yes, please!!

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
It usually goes away within 2-4 weeks, closer to 2 if weather conditions change, i.e. rain, lower temps, higher wind. Weather sources are already posting alerts for potential flooding, starting tomorrow, and a 20 degree drop in temp. Yes, please!!
I'll dance around in it stark ar$e naked!
Like a raving friggin lunatic!

Sorry.
No pics of that....

Can't remember being so excited about rain

OP
TCRanch

TCRanch

Reaction score
Wrong!!!!! I haven't seen a trace in over a week and was going to open the gates and allow access today. Glad I checked first. Not only is it back in the southwest corner, there's a little on the east bank. We did get rain - a whopping .5". And cooler temps - until Wed when it's back to 100. I have some unhappy cows, but it's better than dead ones.IMG 20220730 154618596IMG 20220730 154639663

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Wrong!!!!! I haven't seen a trace in over a week and was going to open the gates and allow access today. Glad I checked first. Not only is it back in the southwest corner, there's a little on the east bank. We did get rain - a whopping .5". And cooler temps - until Wed when it's back to 100. I have some unhappy cows, but it's better than dead ones.View attachment 19641View attachment 19642
Well that stinks!
We got rain 2 early mornings til 10 or noon.
Not as much as I would've liked. But more than half inch. So much for flooding rains. Drama weather forecasters strike again!

Am I seeing things?? Are those friggin oysters?

Lucky_P

Reaction score
That's probably one of the 'heelsplitter' mussel species. There's a bunch of them.
They're all over the pond here at the house, and at our lake place, 20 miles away, but I also find quite a few 'pistol-grip' mussels in the swimming area around the boat dock there.

Latest posts