Blue-green algae

Help Support CattleToday:

How do the cattle drink from the lake? If you can run a pump, put the intake at 5' + deep to avoid the thermocline that the algae is in.
And yes, I get what you're saying. But with the watershed 60 acres, we had to fence off all access. Running a pump to a stock tank would be a minimum half mile. As of now, they can drink from the creek, fountain at the barn and south pond in that pasture. That said, I talked to my vet yesterday and, assuming the forecast is correct, we should get rain & lower temps probably tomorrow evening and should be able to confidently open access by the weekend.

And yes, I get what you're saying. But with the watershed 60 acres, we had to fence off all access. Running a pump to a stock tank would be a minimum half mile. As of now, they can drink from the creek, fountain at the barn and south pond in that pasture. That said, I talked to my vet yesterday and, assuming the forecast is correct, we should get rain & lower temps probably tomorrow evening and should be able to confidently open access by the weekend.
That quickly? Really? That's amazing.

I certainly hope your right!
I'm gonna wash all the cars and leave the square baler outside in hopes it pours for several days!

That quickly? Really? That's amazing.
It usually goes away within 2-4 weeks, closer to 2 if weather conditions change, i.e. rain, lower temps, higher wind. Weather sources are already posting alerts for potential flooding, starting tomorrow, and a 20 degree drop in temp. Yes, please!!

It usually goes away within 2-4 weeks, closer to 2 if weather conditions change, i.e. rain, lower temps, higher wind. Weather sources are already posting alerts for potential flooding, starting tomorrow, and a 20 degree drop in temp. Yes, please!!
I'll dance around in it stark ar$e naked!
Like a raving friggin lunatic!

Sorry.
No pics of that....

Can't remember being so excited about rain

Wrong!!!!! I haven't seen a trace in over a week and was going to open the gates and allow access today. Glad I checked first. Not only is it back in the southwest corner, there's a little on the east bank. We did get rain - a whopping .5". And cooler temps - until Wed when it's back to 100. I have some unhappy cows, but it's better than dead ones.IMG_20220730_154618596.jpgIMG_20220730_154639663.jpg

Wrong!!!!! I haven't seen a trace in over a week and was going to open the gates and allow access today. Glad I checked first. Not only is it back in the southwest corner, there's a little on the east bank. We did get rain - a whopping .5". And cooler temps - until Wed when it's back to 100. I have some unhappy cows, but it's better than dead ones.View attachment 19641View attachment 19642
Well that stinks!
We got rain 2 early mornings til 10 or noon.
Not as much as I would've liked. But more than half inch. So much for flooding rains. Drama weather forecasters strike again!

Am I seeing things?? Are those friggin oysters?

That's probably one of the 'heelsplitter' mussel species. There's a bunch of them.
They're all over the pond here at the house, and at our lake place, 20 miles away, but I also find quite a few 'pistol-grip' mussels in the swimming area around the boat dock there.

I didn't know the algae hurt cattle? Do they have to eat it or drink the water or what?

Pretty sure we have it in some also.
Unless you check your ponds every day, the first sign is generally a bunch of dead cattle.

The algae is always there but has to have the right conditions to bloom before it becomes toxic, similar to potentially toxic grass/forages like johnsongrass.

Pretty good explanation in Beef Magazine:

I didn't know the algae hurt cattle? Do they have to eat it or drink the water or what?

Pretty sure we have it in some also.
Last year they were advertising on the radio to watch out for the blue/green algae as it was toxic to drink or even come in contract with.

Last year they were advertising on the radio to watch out for the blue/green algae as it was toxic to drink or even come in contract with.
Quite a few lakes in Kansas have it and they've essentially shut down. I certainly wouldn't eat a fish in a condemned lake, even though the algae is generally around the banks. We didn't get a lot of dead fish, but quite a few turtles.

When I found opened mussel shells it was usually because raccoons had drug them out and opened them and feasted.
Pretty common. Those shells were pretty thin & smooth compared to a rough and thick true oyster shell.

Have a call into my vet but it's after hours. From what I've read, toxic algae can also be orange/reddish in appearance, generally in the early stage of bloom. This was on the east shore of the watershed, noticed it late this afternoon. There was only a handful of cows/calves at the lake and I moved them out, shut off access except for the west bank (and they all seem perfectly fine).

Anyone else with experience on toxic algae? Am I over-thinking or in panic mode?

Side note: nothing but an occasional .5" of rain and rotten hot. You can see how low the lake is. Still have water in the ponds, but not a lot.
1661988044273.jpeg

The toxic red algae that sometimes blooms along the gulf coast is usually from a species that does not grow in fresh water.

Latest posts