Blue-green algae

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you! So, panic mode. I need to just chill.
I am not saying that at all. There is a freshwater red algae, (3 actually) but they are not the same as the salt water variety we hear so much bad news about.
The freshwater version you have may or may not produce toxins.
You are on the correct path; contacting someone you trust. A vet or someone with your extension service to determine which freshwater red algae you have..

From what I know and have seen cattle as long as they have several sources of water...they will drink the best tasting and healthiest water that suits them. I would only be worried if there was a stagnant pond with blue-green algae and it was their only water source. I rarely hear, in fact, i never hear of mass cattle dying from drinking around deadly algae.

Vet confirmed I was in panic mode, and I opened access. Interesting observation, @TexasRancher. That's exactly what they did; walked pass the area with the algae and drank the clean water. Having said that, I've also seen them use the stock tank & water sources as a toilet - and it doesn't seem to phase them:sick:.

We have live water year round and a stock tank that pulls water out of our field drain line. Since we put in the stock tank the cows don't even bother to go drink out of the open water. They prefer clean water if they can get it. Before we put in the tank you would see them trying to get the water right when it comes out of the pipe, as that had not had the dirt disturbed by their feet. At least that is my observation. When we first put in the tank I thought we would have to fence them out of the live water, but that turned out not to be the case.

@CowboyRam I guess mine aren't that picky. We have a stock tank & pond in both the east & west 80's and they drink out of both. If we have a good rain (which we haven't in forever) and there's standing water in the buffalo wallows, they'll drink out of that. There are a couple springs in one of the creeks in the central pasture and half of them will drink out of that, rather than the fountain at the barn. OR maybe they're just lazy and don't want to travel to the freshest water source, even though it's not that far.

@CowboyRam I guess mine aren't that picky. We have a stock tank & pond in both the east & west 80's and they drink out of both. If we have a good rain (which we haven't in forever) and there's standing water in the buffalo wallows, they'll drink out of that. There are a couple springs in one of the creeks in the central pasture and half of them will drink out of that, rather than the fountain at the barn. OR maybe they're just lazy and don't want to travel to the freshest water source, even though it's not that far.
At the ranch there are ponds and stock tanks, but we are talking between 6000 to 12000 acres depending on what pasture they are in. A lot of space between waterholes; the cows usually spread out pretty good, you would see some on both. Here at the farm they don't seem to drink out of the live water.

It's baaaaack. Yougottabeshittinme!!! Herd was at the lake yesterday, the majority in the east pasture when I checked in the morning. All was good. Went out to feed in the afternoon and total jaw drop. How is it possible to go from "normal looking" algae to blue green in a matter of hours? Still rotten hot, still no rain in sight.

Big fun, moving all of them out. Got all but 4 on the first try because the rest were still congregating at the gate, access out was essentially blocked. Plan B: walk them out the gate to the driveway, across our yard, and in through a gate near the cattle guard. Sounds simple enough but 1.5 hours later, I'm fairly certain I sweat off a good 5 lbs.

Thinking about weaning earlier this year, primarily to conserve what's left of the water sources and (dead) forage in the central pasture.
1662469337985.jpeg
1662469417684.jpeg

Sounds like very trying conditions TC, look after yourself, don't stress out, I doubt that you could afford to lose 5 lbs. Early weaning sounds like a good move. I very early weaned my calves in our drought at 6-8 wks of age and they did well, the heifers at the time are on their 2nd calf now, all bred back early.

Ken

Latest posts