Greatest Texas Longhorn Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

LonghornRanch

Reaction score
For the Longhorn Breeders on the board. In you opinion what is/was the greatest Texas Longhorn Bull.

Longhorn Ranch,
It is very hard to answer this question directly becasue of the lack of consistency within the longhorn breed and there are many different types and kinds to choose from. My bull list will be different than most because in my humble little program I put no emphasis on horn and concentrate 100% on things such as beef character, milk production, maternal ability, muscle etc... Show cattle if you will. With that being said I will give you my top ten all time bulls (in no particular order):

Senator
Country Liberator
Measles Super Ranger
Impressive
Circle K Donovan
Bail Jumper
Cowcatcher
Bar M Don Abraham
Overwhelmer
Jet Jockey

Problably for todays bulls I will give you my top five because there is only about 5 I like (in no particular order):

HD Leading Edge
NP Redeemer's Remption
Sunrise Admiral
4K Daytona
"Ike"

I am not saying there is anything wrong with all of the "Horn" bulls out there they just don't work for me. Sorry, it is very long but that is my opinion and I hope it helps.
Thanks,
Googly Moogly

Unlike "googly_moogly" I'm not afraid to identify myself when talking about great Longhorn Bulls. And, we are members of both ITLA and TLBAA and advertise regularly in both the "Drover" and "Trails". Our dual membership facilitates transfers to our customer base where some customers are only a member of one association.

That aside...

WE definitely chase HORN as well as Body and other important genetic attributes. We have a number of famous sires in our bull and cow's lineage (parents, grandparents). Some of ours include:
  • Roundup
    Senator
    Phenomenon
    Overwhelmer
    Measles Super Ranger
    Cowcatcher
    Unlimited
    Texas Ranger JP
    Etc., Etc., Etc.

As far as the show circuit is concerned (aka Highly Political Expensive Activity) we sell as many as we want to sell without winning ribbons...and get decent prices for our Longhorns.

Everyone has their program...no two operations are the same...and we have our program... ;-)

Quality is Quality. I agree with Mr. Moogley (who has nothing to hide, he knows more about longhorns and the industry than anybody else I know.) in that this is an extremely hard question to answer and a short list is the best way to do it. I like bulls that produce quality animals. For me, horns mean very little but I do like horns. here's my list:

(in no particular order)
Senator
Circle K Donovan
Impressive
Texas Ranger JP
Country Liberator
Measles Super Ranger
Bail Jumper
Quinado Fandago
Cowcatcher
Jet Jockey
WR Trails

Current Bulls: Like Googley said, there are only a handful of bulls that I really like that are still around and active today.
NP Redeemer's Redemption
Sunrise Admiral
HD Leading Edge
4K Daytona
The "Ikester"
Maybe even through in Saltgrass

Bill,
What does advertising in two magazines has to do with the greatest bull(s)... ??? And the show circuit is not nearly as political as you probably think. Trust me. But with the inconsistency and diversity in the breed, most people will have different opinions on what is "Great" and that is what is good about our breed.

Ryan

Ok Ryan...no offense intended. My reference to the 2 Associations/advertising was obviously a "sidebar" to the topic since Mr. Googley's (real name?) post alleged TLBAA emphasis (aka not that interested in horns).

Incidentally, I know Ryan and respect his/their program! On the other hand I'm aware of a lot of significant names of cattle people in the Longhorn Industry; however, must admit I've never heard of "Mr. Googley". His "handle" as a poster just stuck me as a little funny for what it was worth. No insult intended! My sincerest apologies if I have offended anyone...!

With every different cattle breed; and, when there is more than ONE registration association for a given breed, there is bound to be "friction" observed among all the opinions. It was also obvious with the Peruvian Paso horse associations (PPHRNA and AAOBPPH) until they had a meeting of the minds and formed a single USA association, "NAPHA". Maybe it will happen with the 2 Longhorn associations...lol...but, probably not in my lifetime... ;-)

Those two associations may merge and become one "Longhorn Registry," but the only association -maintaining- pure longhorn genetics and conformation is the CTLR- Cattleman's Texas Longhorn Registry.

The TLBAA and ITLA have so much controversy, politics, egos, and crossbreeding involved that the fact that a longhorn is registered does not appeal to me so much, as it could have some brahma, and likely watusi, in its bloodlines. This is fairly known among longhorn producers and i'm sure fellas like Ryan and RA Bill try to steer clear of contaminated genes and those who use them to "profit" -

I understand the desire to "improve" one's breed, but skimming through month after month of TLBAA's magazines, the animals pictured look less and less like longhorns and more like mutant cattle that people brag about by making outrageously misguided claims on.

The organization, in my opinion, has lost track of its mission. CTLR is the way to go for quality longhorn cattle with a fair pricetag.

Check out DWD Longhorns @ http://www.dwdlonghorns.com/ and tell me what you think of their animals. And they sell them for about 750/cow, 1000/pair flat. Their cattle are registered with CTLR and TLBAA.

Bill,

May I ask where in the world does the name Googly Moogly have any affiliation to the TLBAA? Just for clarities sake I picked the name up at a sale when a pedigree reader noticed a cow with a name Moogly, I think, simular to my "Handle" and the pedigree reader made the joke "yeah she goes back to that good ole' Goggly Moogly bull" as a joke and I just thought it to be a funny name so that's why I use it today.

Trust me, I am in no way affiliated with either membership with the exception that I am a member of the TLBAA and though I have not been a member of the ITLA for some time I am an active member in one of it's affiliates. I think two associations is good for our business so that one association cannot have a monopoly, if you will, on us poor breeders. Competition is what America was founded on and needs to stay in every business in my humble opinion.

Also, just to clarify, I do like cows with good horn but I cannot stand cattle with great big horns and weigh 700 pounds and cannot raise a calf. Heck, I even have some cows with tremendous horn but I will not jeopardize all of the things that are important to me for them.

But isn't that the great thing about our breed of cattle, I can raise show calves, Joe bob can raise horns, Curly Sue can raise Riding Steers and we can all be friends. These cattle are a great pastime and a part of history that needs to be cherished.

Googly Moogly

P.S. Bill, I looked at your web site and I guarentee you that I would be proud to have many of your brood cows in my program.

Without getting into a debate over who's program is best, I'll say that I am after the total package in my program. Horns and body are what is important to me. That said, in no particular order;

Overlord
Senator
Overwhelmer
Phenomenon
Texas Ranger JP

warpaint":2v6xjn93 said:
Without getting into a debate over who's program is best,

Thanks.. I believe this topic got way off topic very quickly... and I am very interested in other breeders' responses to the Original question.

Ryan

I like a Longhorn that appears to be all Longhorn-not something that looks like one of it's grand parents was a British or Continental beef bull. I do like beefy animals but I want to make sure that my cattle can easily be identified as a member of the Longhorn breed. Now after having said this I will start with my list:

1 Texas Ranger JP-big, beefy bull (Phillips breeding) was said that he possibly possessed either 1/4 Hereford or 1/4 Brahman blood. I'd say it was probably Brahman but I still like him.

2 Man o' War-was supposed to be out of Milby Butler's herd but it's been said that he probably came from another breeder and wasn't all Butler. I still like him.

3 Monarch 103

4 Classic

5 King

6 Tin Horn-Butler and Yates breeding-body and horn

7 Ranger's Ranch Hand

8 Whelming King-now deceased, goes back to King-good body, horn and milking ability on his daughters

9 Diamong W 505

10 Dixie Hunter

11 Tabasco

12 Hondo

13 Zhivago

14 Bail Jumper

15 Cow Catcher

16 WR Trails

17 Quill

These are all bulls that I like and have some of their genetics in my herd. I would/will AI to some of these.

Living bulls:

1 Coach

2 Round Up

3 all of the bulls that I have at my place-

BT Heineken Dark
Snow Queen's Levi
Virginia Gentleman
WD Shenandoah Conquest
Earl Grey and a few others. You can see some photos of them at http://www.btfarms.net

Since most of the longhorn breeders on this sight have already responded to the original question (i don't want to completely hijack this topic so keep the greatest bull ever answers coming), i have another one that goes along with the original question. What bull that is relatively unknown, flying under the radar maybe, or are just young, do you feel will have a big impact on the breed or could become something really "Great"? Like what bull will become the "Next Big Thing"? Show or Horn.

My two:
SD Horizon - Out of two world grand champions. full brother to the all time winningest texas longhorn ever. a very strong pedigree. already has one crop of calves on the ground that look great. I know i might be biased b/c he is apart of the ranch I work for, however I think he could end up being better than even I thought.

O'Bryan 2 Iron Kettle - was a very flashy, showy bull that did decent on the show circuit. has lots of frame and size to him, really kept growing after his show career was over. good enough horns, correct conformation, and plenty of muscle. i have seen his 2006 calf crop and they look very nice.

Anyone else?

Ryan

Latest posts