Great Weekend / Bad start to my week.. grr

Help Support CattleToday:

The bad day that just wont end.... My FIL just told my wife and her sis that he has cancer in his lungs brain and the treatment didnt work and he now has been giving 6 months to live at best.... GEEZ ... My wife is upset and not talking to me nor kids that much its gonna be a mess in the sky household for a while.

So very sorry to hear that.... I feel for your FIL, and your wife and the rest of the family. It's going to be a tough go. :(

Exactly... It definately put things into perspective. Thanks denver.

Lazy thank you very much yes its gonna be tough kids do not know anything yet and I want her to tell them unless she specifically asks me too with a clear head or we both tell them.

I was at home this morning and got to the shop later this morning at 930am My mechanic said the guy I fired yesterday was waiting in there since 630am he had bought me a pack of donuts and asked could he talk to me i said sure he explained he had 4 small kids and that he had lost his job when a local store closed and he really needed a job and could i give him another chance to redeem himself he was so anxious to work and impress everyone he made mistakes and the reason he was late was he had car issues and didnt have the $ to get a new battery so he has to push start his truck if no one can jump him he offered to let me keep his first 2 weeks check to take care of the fuel loss and stuff the mechanic did to the chipper...with the current stuff going on in my house i didnt have th heart to not give him a chance. I told him come on lets get you on the job site and see what you can do and joked with him about don't touch the fuel can ever again. We talked and I found out he has a CDL I also need another driver for back up so this might just work out. I tell ya I feel bad for the guy I am gonna have my mechanic go pick him up a battery and put it in his truck for him and give him a hand up. I wish I could come up with a fix for my FIL that simple.

He sounds like an all right guy. Good job on giving him a second chance. I'm small beans. I work a neighbor boy on most Saturdays. He's 19, has no car that sort of thing. I go pick him up. He comes out of the house obviously having slept right up untill I pull in the driveway. As soon as we get to my house he has to take his morning crap. He's actually a good laugh to work with when he finally gets started.

Bigfoot said:
He sounds like an all right guy. Good job on giving him a second chance. I'm small beans. I work a neighbor boy on most Saturdays. He's 19, has no car that sort of thing. I go pick him up. He comes out of the house obviously having slept right up untill I pull in the driveway. As soon as we get to my house he has to take his morning crap. He's actually a good laugh to work with when he finally gets started.[/quoteI

I have 3 people with no licenses that have to get picked up every morning for my tree service business. We have 1 guy with no license out of the guys. I hate having to pick people up but its part of the game. I am gonna ask everyone how the new guy did on each crew while handing checks out tomorrow and see what they say. I tell ya I wasnt at the shop when the new guy got back from the days work and had that new battery installed. The guys said he was so happy he had a grin from ear to ear. He called me and drove to my house and shook my hand. It feels good helping people out. I will give you a report back tomorrow on how the guy works

:compute:
skyhightree1":32nkai3r said:
I was at home this morning and got to the shop later this morning at 930am My mechanic said the guy I fired yesterday was waiting in there since 630am he had bought me a pack of donuts and asked could he talk to me i said sure he explained he had 4 small kids and that he had lost his job when a local store closed and he really needed a job and could i give him another chance to redeem himself he was so anxious to work and impress everyone he made mistakes and the reason he was late was he had car issues and didnt have the $ to get a new battery so he has to push start his truck if no one can jump him he offered to let me keep his first 2 weeks check to take care of the fuel loss and stuff the mechanic did to the chipper...with the current stuff going on in my house i didnt have th heart to not give him a chance. I told him come on lets get you on the job site and see what you can do and joked with him about don't touch the fuel can ever again. We talked and I found out he has a CDL I also need another driver for back up so this might just work out. I tell ya I feel bad for the guy I am gonna have my mechanic go pick him up a battery and put it in his truck for him and give him a hand up. I wish I could come up with a fix for my FIL that simple.

The company/man I went to work for in 1987 gave me a chance to come back to work in 1995 after I had quit in 1993 and went broke on my own
I have been grateful every since and I'm sure he has regretted it ever since

My new worker report.. The guys said he is good just doesn't really take initiative sometimes and wait for others to tell him what to do but when they tell him he does it with no quams... They said where he lacks initiative he makes up for it in speed and willingness to work hard. Bad situation seems to be turning around. They said he drags brush like he was born doing it. If he makes it 6 months with me no further problems and still remains the same work wise he will get an increase in wages.

I'd imagine he'd be a little gunshy about initiative after his last go round with the gas. I think it shows intelligence that he is waiting to be told what to do and not taking chances.

It is far scarier for me to see someone trying to be impressive not knowing what their doing, than someone waiting on instructions and getting after it. The second just needs a little training. The first has to be re-wired- "ain't nobody got time for that".

I'm a pretty good arm chair manager from 2000 miles away. Just shoot me another problem. :)

Latest posts