Great Weekend / Bad start to my week.. grr

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I had a great weekend took my grandma to my moms for her surprise birthday party we threw her. We surprised her with her last remaining living sibling and had a blast. I left the kids there with my mom and my grandmother life is good. I thought great start to my week.... WRONG..... My foreman asked me to hire his cousin since I need another groundsman. I was reluctant but told him his cousin is his responsibility he said no problem. He was supposed to be here at 7:00am got to the shop to clock in at 7:19am already got on my wrong side. so i let that go. I was at my desk catching up on paperwork 8:47am foreman calls me tells me he is on his way back to the shop I asked why he said his cousin was trying to be helpful and put gas in my chipper that is DIESEL and has a huge sticker on it saying that. They caught him after he had put a few gallons in the tank I told my foreman bring your cousin with you and fire him either there or when he gets back to the shop. He asks for another chance for him I told him I can't afford mistakes like that he has to go. He said I was being to hard but he respects my decision. I can't believe that guy I just can't have mistakes like that. I told my mechanic to siphon out the gas with the pump and refill it he said no I am gonna drain the tank and blow out the lines and change all the filters and the chipper should be ready atleat by 12 or 1 so now I got a job on hold because of stupidity... Thats my morning so far I hope yalls is going much better. :mad:

if they aint started it, it should have been ok to just empty the tank....granted he should have been on time.. even early...i think anyone willing to work needs a chance.. what about it Alison? :cowboy:

he was going to start it he cut the key on so my mechanic wants to make sure none got in the lines whatsoever he is really thorough and picky. Doing treework is dangerous I don't want a fool that doesnt pay attention out there cause there is many times a groundsman that gets sucked up into a chipper and chipped. Him being late on the first day really rubbed me the wrong way. I told the foreman we will talk about it but not today im too mad.

I don't know rather he should have had another chance or not. But I'm impressed if you don't have stuff like that happen all the time.

denvermartinfarms":lcx4knqp said:
I don't know rather he should have had another chance or not. But I'm impressed if you don't have stuff like that happen all the time.

LOL... I have stupid stuff happen all the time just nothing like someone being late on the first day and putting gas in a diesel piece of equipment. I think my biggest problem was him being late I am an A-HOLE about being on time. I don't have many rules in place but the Time and Attendance I do not play with.

Station filled my diesel truck up with gas one time. When it finally got to the gas it just died. No harm done

Here is my bast story for why a employee needed a day off "I have to exercise my fighting chickens".
And this is one of the top five mess up's, one of our better guys was hooking up the rock breaker to the excavator, he hooked the lines up first, then picked up the breaker and locked the quick coupler, oops it wasn't locked on, he lost the breaker off in the ditch and ripped the plumbing off the excavator and broke the lines.

ALACOWMAN":25ts35im said:
if they aint started it, it should have been ok to just empty the tank....granted he should have been on time.. even early...i think anyone willing to work needs a chance.. what about it Alison? :cowboy:
Yip ;-)

denvermartinfarms":7jylsp0f said:
Here is my bast story for why a employee needed a day off "I have to exercise my fighting chickens".
And this is one of the top five mess up's, one of our better guys was hooking up the rock breaker to the excavator, he hooked the lines up first, then picked up the breaker and locked the quick coupler, oops it wasn't locked on, he lost the breaker off in the ditch and ripped the plumbing off the excavator and broke the lines.
How about "I couldn't come to work because my neighbors wife had a baby"

denvermartinfarms":1lj5bt5c said:

***** FIRED *****

skyhightree1":jntog3yb said:
denvermartinfarms":jntog3yb said:

***** FIRED *****
Pretty much, we were about done with the job we were on and he didn't move with us to the next one. Had another guy on that same job that was on his first week, had him on the excavator carrying a manhole, hooked a phone line with the stick and took down the phone, a 3 phase power line and broke 4 poles. All he had to say was " that wasn't the first time I did that and I'm sure it won't be the last".

Then we had another guy that was kinda suposed to be running the jobs me or dad couldn't be on, taking 2 hours at lunch,lying about his hours and collecting our chains, shovels and other small tools, we fired him. And then before the next big rain we had he came to a job we were on one nite and took 3 manhole lids off on a line that run down a creek bottom. Filed about 1500ft of 8" line with mud and gravel. We had to dig it up re lay all of it, then he filed for unemployment and we couldn't prove he had done anything so he got unemployment from us for a long time.

This is why I love Va.
1.If an employee believes he has been terminated unfairly, does he have a legal right to challenge the termination?
Virginia is an employment-at-will state; this means the employer may terminate any employee at any time, for any reason, or for no reason. As a general rule, therefore, the employee has no right to challenge the termination. There are a few very limited exceptions. For example, an employee may not be discriminated against or terminated because he has filed a safety complaint or exercised his rights under OSHA law. Virginia Code § 40.1-51.2:1. Also, federal law protects employees from discrimination because of age, race, sex, religion, national origin or handicap.

Whenever someone is fired they send me a notice that a former employee wants unemploy and you can dispute it and go to a hearing and they dont get S...

Dad whent and disputed it till he was blue in the face more than once, made sevarel calls and they just said that we couldn't prove that he did anything. It all works out though, this was about 4 years ago and since then he has got to making this k2 fake marijuana stuff, he seems to have had a pretty big deal going, in the last month he has been all over the news, and had about 3 million dollars in over seas bank accounts and another million in ammo cans at his house. Sounds like he is going to prison for a long time.

Latest posts