Great start to New Year

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Sometime around midnight New Year's Eve:
Cow is 3 yr old, Eye Candy - won Supreme over all Supremes last year as Cow/calf pair with a bull. This is a HEIFER!!

2 yr old, Firefly, full sister to Eye Candy with a heifer, born 1-2.

2 yr old, Fre-Anna - won a Supreme last year with a heifer born 1-2

Picture of Fre-Anna's heifer "Hi-Anna"

Had a 4th calf born to another 2 yr old (1-2-20), bull calf that we castrated. Dam is super easy to handle, not crazy, but nervous/timid. I do not want a nervous bull.
Now we have a lull. Got 17 due from 1-21 to 1-31. That's a lot for our facilities.

Here is a link to Facebook with a video of Eye Candy and her new baby:
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=philip%20paradis&epa=SEARCH_BOX
Calf was about 10 hours old. Have high hopes for this pair.

Our 17 head due in 10 days decided no one wanted to come early. Got down to 8 days for the 17 head and finally had a calf.
1-23 bull by 20-20 - 87#
1-24 heifer by Mr CCF Clarified (20-20 son) 78#
1-25 steer by Milestone (108#)
1-26 heifer by Classified 90#
1-27 heifer by Two Step (haven't weighed yet - just born)
1-27 heifer DOA - embryo by 20-20 - was 2 weeks early so was still down in the bottom winter lot. Checked her yesterday & decided she needed to come up today. Had a heavy snow fall during night, calf was DOA when we found this morning.

Got two c/c pairs in pens & have 5 ready in pens for night - with 7 outside quite due/ready and another 2 head added to the group due 2-3 and 2-5. Not doubling up pens because it is very mild temperatures and we put down hay bales for bedding outside.

This is Red Hots E81H, the Red Answer heifer out of Eye Candy born 1-1-20 (growing like a weed)

This is a Classified heifer born 1-26

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Our 17 head due in 10 days decided no one wanted to come early. Got down to 8 days for the 17 head and finally had a calf.
1-23 bull by 20-20 - 87#
1-24 heifer by Mr CCF Clarified (20-20 son) 78#
1-25 steer by Milestone (108#)
1-26 heifer by Classified 90#
1-27 heifer by Two Step (haven't weighed yet - just born)
1-27 heifer DOA - embryo by 20-20 - was 2 weeks early so was still down in the bottom winter lot. Checked her yesterday & decided she needed to come up today. Had a heavy snow fall during night, calf was DOA when we found this morning.

Got two c/c pairs in pens & have 5 ready in pens for night - with 7 outside quite due/ready and another 2 head added to the group due 2-3 and 2-5. Not doubling up pens because it is very mild temperatures and we put down hay bales for bedding outside.

This is Red Hots E81H, the Red Answer heifer out of Eye Candy born 1-1-20 (growing like a weed)

This is a Classified heifer born 1-26
OOH, I like her already!

Red Hots IS fancy. Of course, she has a little age now (nearly 4 weeks in pic) compared to our newborns, but, she was born with "the look" that I like. Having the chrome doesn't hurt!! Unless something drastically changes, she & mom will be our Cow/Calf pair this year (3rd year for dam showing). Last year's bull calf was 900# in that picture. Should have been weaned, but wanted to get that one last show in. :D It was only 2 weeks after the NYSF show that they HAD to compete in (Supreme)
This was the dam as a yearling:

and this was her last year, won Grand Champion at this show, but was also Supreme of All NY Supreme Champions.

thank you, Uplandnut - the little girls are my money makers. Males are just cash flow, but my girls make me a living.

Another interesting day. Had a cow spit out twin heifers by Pays to Believe. So, we brought up the cow that had the dead embryo. Put her in a pen with the 2nd twin heifer - with some Orphan-No-More on the calf. Totally ignored calf. Put her in the chute, cinched her up, got the calf to suck on her pretty good. Put them in a pen together & left them alone while we brought up more cows getting close to calving.
When I got in the house, I checked the camera and the cow was licking the calf's rear end while the calf was sucking away. WooHoo Absolutely great timing for a set of twins.

Ken - Our weather is so up & down this year - but, my guess is the calf was born dead for whatever reason. It wasn't major cold. We did have a snow storm - only about 8". Calves are pretty hardy, she was on the edge of woods, so wind shouldn't have been a problem. Just one of those things. Frustrating that I didn't have her up close. Always wonder if there was something we could have done. But, shyt happens. It was a blessing to have twins the next day. That doesn't usually happen!!
We have 3 pairs in the barn in pens, and another 6 "ready" each in a pen. And another 8 or so outside the barn, hoping they keep their legs crossed!!! lol
Edit to add: the snow isn't the problem - it's the MUD under the snow. Makes it really hard on newborns trying to get up, their little legs sink out of site.

If a guy or gals gonna have bad luck, I reckon that's the kind to have. It always breaks my heart when a mama loses her calf for any reason. I have one that lost hers after about a month and could not find a graft calf to save my butt.
Good on you and that mama!

Yes, it was perfect timing. Not normally that lucky. I do have my fair share of twins. Had two sets that all survived out of my 5 fall calvers (Sept/Oct). The two dams are each raising their pair. I am supplementing those calves and will wean in March probably.
Had a bull calf born yesterday by Wide Track (94#) and a heifer by TKCC Classified this morning - still wet, haven't weighed.
We were -3F last night and beautiful sunshine today, no wind. Crisp - nice. Supposed to get up to 30F.

Latest posts