Grazon P+D versus Grazon Next

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Grazon P+D is picloram + 2-4-D === Grazon P+D Next HL is aminopyrlid + 2-4-d . The Grazon next is quite a bit more expensive. What are the advantages of using Grazon Next over Grazon P+D ? It has to be an advantage to sell for a higher price. Both products are made by Dow Agi . Any help with correct answer would be appreciated.

patent protection on Grazon P+D is about to or has expired. Grazon NEXT is the "new, latest and greatest mouse trap"....so it is more expensive. Not so much that is better, but that is what the marketing will tell you.

cowboy43":1calce0n said:
Grazon P+D is picloram + 2-4-D === Grazon P+D Next HL is aminopyrlid + 2-4-d . The Grazon next is quite a bit more expensive. What are the advantages of using Grazon Next over Grazon P+D ? It has to be an advantage to sell for a higher price. Both products are made by Dow Agi . Any help with correct answer would be appreciated.

I have never seen any advantage to Grazon P+D except for the seed companies.
I quit using it year's ago to only using 2-4-D. Grazon kill's your seed bank.
It can't tell weed seed from clover or rye grass.

You might also look at Dow's Pasturall product. It has the same ingredients as Grazon Next just not as much aminophylid. Quite a bit cheaper and available in the high load formula.

Supposably Grazon Next has a 18 month residual effect on broadleaf plants and a shorter time period from spraying to harvest of hay than P+D

B&M Farms":3fn3m09a said:
Supposably Grazon Next has a 18 month residual effect on broadleaf plants
Not just broadleafs. In pre-emergence and just emerged stage, it doesn't know the difference between a broadleaf and a grass, which is why Dowagra includes the following in their specimen label for Grazon Next:

graz2.jpg

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld8C6012.pdf

Remedy otoh, has no "Next season" restriction, which is why I like it over Grazon. 3 weeks at the most and that is only with certain grasses.

Grazon Next H\L will kill dewberries. I have tried a lot of sprays to kill dewberries and the H\L does it. 3 quarts to 100 gal. of water and the berry vines are dead. Looks like it might kill McCartney Rose also. I use P&D for the rose though but it looks like the H\L will kill it also.

Dewberries are biennials. You have to spray the first year's growth (primacane) to kill it. The second year's growth (floracane) is going to die whether you spray it or not.

JWBrahman":337sznwa said:
Grazon will stunt the Bermuda around here for a month.

Here in Texas I have never stunted my coastal with Grazon P+D.
As far as the new formulation goes, the poster above is correct. The patent has expired on P+D so they had to come out with a new formulation so that you will buy their product and not a generic.

We've been using P+D on our rosehedge and sedge, and it has been doing a good job. It is supposed to work a lot better on those than Next. Also have been using it on huisatche. Just about all of the ones I sprayed last year have failed to come back. It also knocked back the Chinese tallow pretty good. .....we have a lot of bad stuff here.

Latest posts