Grazing pastures with Red Clover this year?

Help Support CattleToday:

gwece

Reaction score
I'm in Southern Illinois with about 90 acres set up for rotational grazing. Paddocks (grass & red clover) are about 10 acres each and I have about 65 head of angus including calves. Hay was all custom cut about a month ago and we have had plenty of rain since - needless to say the clover is growing great and starting to bloom. My question is can I still graze without to much worry about bloat or do I need cut hay again? I really don't need any more hay. If I don't cut, will the cows just eat the grass and trample the clover in to the ground? The clover ranges from light to medium in places and heavy in spots. I've been here since 1984 and have never been blessed with a year like this....big difference since last year! Your advice is appreciated! Thanks!

We graze fescue pastures every year that are up to 75% red clover and have never had a problem. You might want to put out a bloat block a couple of days ahead of moving them to it for the first time then keep it avaliable for a while till they get adapted to it. Ours just graze through the clover just like they do the fescue. They don;t hunt it out or avoid it, it's just a natural part of the grazing movement.

My new seeding came to well over 75% clover. You had to look for grass, and the red clover was over waist high in the low spots where thistle held it up... I was nervous at turnout but full cows in the afternoon had no issues. All you could see was about a foot of their back as the dozed through it. I did let it get to full bloom even though there was a bit of color clash between the blue Chicory and the red Clover.

One of the great things about red clover is it tramples so well. They eat half and the rest becomes a moisture saving summer mat. The neighbors drive by and then ask how they slicked it all up. I tell them it is the training. :cowboy:

I have seem bloat - - but it was on alfalfa hay or white clover regrowth.

gwece":2rza83wr said:
I'm in Southern Illinois with about 90 acres set up for rotational grazing. Paddocks (grass & red clover) are about 10 acres each and I have about 65 head of angus including calves. Hay was all custom cut about a month ago and we have had plenty of rain since - needless to say the clover is growing great and starting to bloom. My question is can I still graze without to much worry about bloat or do I need cut hay again? I really don't need any more hay. If I don't cut, will the cows just eat the grass and trample the clover in to the ground? The clover ranges from light to medium in places and heavy in spots. I've been here since 1984 and have never been blessed with a year like this....big difference since last year! Your advice is appreciated! Thanks!
I am rotating thru some paddocks that are heavy in red clover but its mature, I've had no problems.
I think the problem with clover is when you have a weather change, specifically from real dry to wet. 2 inches of rain on clover after a long dry spell. I think they can founder like a horse on clover at times too. But some cows it doesn't seem to bother as well.

Thanks for the replies guys! Makes me feel better to hear from you all on this issue. Dun, I've got a bloat block coming from my local Farm Service Coop. I'll keep a close eye on them and ease them into grazing the clover. Again, thanks ever so much!

Latest posts