Grazing freshly fertilized pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Tarheel

Reaction score
Applied 34-0-0 fertilizer to pasture today. Rain was forecast, but weatherman was wrong. Is it safe for cows to graze or do I need to remove cattle from pasture until it rains? Appreciate your suggestions.

Need to be real careful and make sure you did not spill any. Takes a very small amount of 34-0-0 to kill a cow. I would wait till it rains.

I would get them off of there asap until you have a very good rain and then some. They will lick up fertilizer until it kills them. Depends on how much you put on and are there spots where it is heavier due to overlap, stops etc. jmho. Jim

hillbillycwo":15o433cc said:
Will the cows try to lick it up even if they have free choice mineral?
You have to remember we're talking cows here. If they will go out of their way to drink from a nasty muddy peed in puddle rather then drink clean water you can bet they would lick the fertilizer from the gorund if there is enough of it

Guess your right Dun. Thanks. I will pen them in my reserve lot for a few days with a couple rolls of hay and that old nasty pond until it rains on the fertillizer then move them to fresh pasture.

Latest posts