Gray or Grey?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
Just of late I have noticed in the Brahman Journal that advertisers have been using the word "Grey" for their Brahmans where as in the past they have consistly used "Gray". I'm puzzled as to why the change? Here in our country we spell it "Grey".
Can someone enlighten me?
Colin :?

My Crayola crayons spell it gray so that must be correct. But seriously, either is fine in USA. Gray is deriviation of the kings grey. We just changed it to plss him off. ;-)

I was under the assumption that gray was the precursor to grey, but both are widely accepted because no one knows any better.

VanC":1l2v2kyh said:
I always spell it gray, but either is fine. Don't know why the Brahman Journal made the switch.

This rule might explain the reason. The color is gray and the colour is grey. The latter is used and signifies a higher class or top of the line. Splitting hairs but someone is thinking hard if they did it for this reason. Same principle applies with the use of the word theater and theatre.

Sounds feasable thanks jogeephus. We do spell lots of things differently over here and in England. To be truthful the way you US people spell certain words is far more sensible than we do.
Thanks
Colin or could that be Colon (like Colon Powell) I would not like to be called Colon,because your bowel is your colon.
My name is Collin.
:banana:

Australian Cattleman":salm1p49 said:
Sounds feasable thanks jogeephus. We do spell lots of things differently over here and in England. To be truthful the way you US people spell certain words is far more sensible than we do.
Thanks
Colin or could that be Colon (like Colon Powell) I would not like to be called Colon,because your bowel is your colon.
My name is Collin.

:lol2:

Whats the theatre/theater thing?

I always thought Americans were gray and English/Australians were grey.

Keren":gyvfn3gg said:
Australian Cattleman":gyvfn3gg said:
Thanks
My name is Collin.

:lol2:

Whats the theatre/theater thing?

I always thought Americans were gray and English/Australians were grey.

If you are going down to the movies to watch the Smurf's, you will probably go to the Theater. But if you are going to watch a play like Cats, you will probably be going to the theatre. Of course a movie theater that wants to advertise itself as being better or higher end might also call itself theatre as well.

Seems whenever we americans have changed a pre-existing english word to suit our spelling, the original spelling is reserved to be used by those of higher learning and class. This could possibly go back to the post revolutionary days when there were still a lot of loyalist who lived in the coastal communities. There was a big rift between the folks living inland and those living on the coast. The loyalist tried to keep things tight with the England while the inlanders and hill folk tried to seperate as far as possible and show a lot of distinction between themselves. This also carries over toward their feelings on other things like slavery. Hill and inland folks didn't believe in slavery and most didn't own them and by doing things different it set us apart from the loyalists. Of course the inland folks and hill folks were viewed as trash while the coastal folks were the elite. This still carries on today with your terms redneck farmers and hillbillies. (this is also why there is a big rift concerning ideas on why the civil war was fought. Depends on your location as to why.)

I haven't seen the word catalog spell as catalogue for a very long time.

Gage and gauge is another one of those confusing scenarios.

Another good example is plantation. With the exception of the plantations set up by the northern industrialists in the 20's, most of the inland farms were called farms and run by farmers. Farms along the coastal communties were called "plantations" and run by planters. If you were a planter you were considered rich while the farmers subsisted on grits and fatback.

Earl Thigpen":2uczs9bi said:
And then there's check and cheque. Startin' to see the later show up around my neck of the woods lately.

And don;t forget Czech

Patty and Pâté - both taste the same but the latter you got to pay for the former is ..... well you know ..... we've all had a taste of it. ;-) :lol:

If you're a woman,you're a COOK
If you're a man,you're a CHEF...

I've always spelt it grey.
Centre is another one that can be spelt with an re instead or er.
Of course we add in an extra "u" that Americans don't and we get from the UK - colour, honour, armour, flavour etc.

Latest posts