Grassland crp

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Goy an email today from the FSA about it. Very nondescript about details. Anybody know anything about it?

For mine they cancelled my wheat program that had been in effect for god knows how long (They didn't) that came with the property when I bought it. Its basically just a plan to keep your acreage in grass. Their were not many restrictions as long as you did not row crop it. It can be cancelled at any time with no penalty.

It was officially called the Grassland Conservation Initiative.

I ask him if he needed to look at it. He said no, the satellite view was good enough. He said he was familiar with the property.

The funny thing is that for mine it is only for like 60 acres out of the 170 that is out there. They don't care which part of the plot you use for the program.

The details are the most important part. :D :lol:

In the upper Midwest these programs are generally VERY restrictive -- no grazing, no haying. In times of drought they have been released to allow haying.

I know some farmland that sat on the market for 5+ years because it had been put into this type of program. It just recently sold as it was due to come out of the program next year.

The program I wrote about is not the CRP program. It is simply a plan to keep acreage in grass. You can do anything you want with it as long as it stays in grass.

I hate the CRP program. All it does is tie up land and gives the deer hunters a handout. It is mostly crappy land that deteriorates more and more as time goes on. In my opinion, if you have no desire to maintain a piece of property, it needs to be sold to someone who will.

bird dog said:
The program I wrote about is not the CRP program. It is simply a plan to keep acreage in grass. You can do anything you want with it as long as it stays in grass.

I hate the CRP program. All it does is tie up land and gives the deer hunters a handout. It is mostly crappy land that deteriorates more and more as time goes on. In my opinion, if you have no desire to maintain a piece of property, it needs to be sold to someone who will.

I agree 100%

I swung by the local FSA office this morning to check up on it. The folks there don't know much about it.
But... the few details they could give make me think that it's probably not gonna work for us.
$25/acre, if you qualify and they choose you as a 'winner', once they go through the scoring process.

If you sign onto it, NRCS will come out and prescribe a rotational grazing program, and they'll mandate how tall you have to keep the grass. Don't know if they'll mandate that you kill off KY-31 or any other existing forages and replant the their choice... but it wouldn't surprise me. We sold all the cows last fall - except for one heifer, and have two horses... but they couldn't tell me if there was a minimum requirement for how many head of livestock you'd have to have to qualify... just a maximum number(140 head).
If you sign onto it, NRCS will come out and prescribe a rotational grazing program, and they'll mandate how tall you have to keep the grass. Since we sold out, I was looking to pull out most of the cross-fences to facilitate mowing/haying... but doubt they'd allow that, now. And, since my place is fenced with 2 strands of electrified HT wire - even the perimeters - I suspect they'd require that I put in 'more substantial' fencing, even though this has served just fine for 25 years. (Heck... 20 yrs or so ago, when I was looking at putting in an upland pond in a recently logged-off stand of ice-storm-damaged pines, 1000 ft or more uphill, through the woods, from the cow pasture, they were going to require a 5-strand barbed wire fence around it... even though there were NEVER going to be any cattle anywhere close to it.)
No haying or mowing between May 15 and Aug 1 - like so many of these FSA/NRCS programs, they seem to be more concerned about 'ground-nesting birds' than about farming. If you're concerned about making any sort of decent quality hay... forgettaboutit.

Probably more to it - and more hurdles to jump over than they could tell me - but, it looks like almost every other FSA/NRCS/USDA program I've dealt with... the requirements/mandates/restrictions are so onerous that it's not worth the trouble for me.

Lucky_P said:
I swung by the local FSA office this morning to check up on it. The folks there don't know much about it.
But... the few details they could give make me think that it's probably not gonna work for us.
$25/acre, if you qualify and they choose you as a 'winner', once they go through the scoring process.

If you sign onto it, NRCS will come out and prescribe a rotational grazing program, and they'll mandate how tall you have to keep the grass. Don't know if they'll mandate that you kill off KY-31 or any other existing forages and replant the their choice... but it wouldn't surprise me. We sold all the cows last fall - except for one heifer, and have two horses... but they couldn't tell me if there was a minimum requirement for how many head of livestock you'd have to have to qualify... just a maximum number(140 head).
If you sign onto it, NRCS will come out and prescribe a rotational grazing program, and they'll mandate how tall you have to keep the grass. Since we sold out, I was looking to pull out most of the cross-fences to facilitate mowing/haying... but doubt they'd allow that, now. And, since my place is fenced with 2 strands of electrified HT wire - even the perimeters - I suspect they'd require that I put in 'more substantial' fencing, even though this has served just fine for 25 years. (Heck... 20 yrs or so ago, when I was looking at putting in an upland pond in a recently logged-off stand of ice-storm-damaged pines, 1000 ft or more uphill, through the woods, from the cow pasture, they were going to require a 5-strand barbed wire fence around it... even though there were NEVER going to be any cattle anywhere close to it.)
No haying or mowing between May 15 and Aug 1 - like so many of these FSA/NRCS programs, they seem to be more concerned about 'ground-nesting birds' than about farming. If you're concerned about making any sort of decent quality hay... forgettaboutit.

Wow, no way I'd do all that. Thanks.

My brother has a place in the CRP at like $240, and a guy down the road is at $150. Both of those places have been row cropped. A place like mine, that's only had cattle on it, doesn't qualify for anything.......Until I heard about this program. Way more aggravation than it's worth though.

Probably more to it - and more hurdles to jump over than they could tell me - but, it looks like almost every other FSA/NRCS/USDA program I've dealt with... the requirements/mandates/restrictions are so onerous that it's not worth the trouble for me.