Renting Pasture Competes with CRP

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
A neighbor came over a couple of days ago asking to rent my pasture. I said no. He was paying a good price, was willing to put in new fence, patch what I had and so on. Not a bad offer in any way. I told him I want to have cattle out here by year's end.

We went on to talk about all the land around. I commented wondering why there was so much unused pasture land. He said that folks got more from CRP than what a person could afford to pay to rent it.

Seems like CRP is only one letter short of crap. A guy trying to make a profit, trying to make a living, trying to raise food, all with limited resources has to compete with the government, which has unlimited resources. Seems like their resources should be limited.

HDRider":15yioj7n said:
A neighbor came over a couple of days ago asking to rent my pasture. I said no. He was paying a good price, was willing to put in new fence, patch what I had and so on. Not a bad offer in any way. I told him I want to have cattle out here by year's end.

We went on to talk about all the land around. I commented wondering why there was so much unused pasture land. He said that folks got more from CRP than what a person could afford to pay to rent it.

Seems like CRP is only one letter short of crap. A guy trying to make a profit, trying to make a living, trying to raise food, all with limited resources has to compete with the government, which has unlimited resources. Seems like their resources should be limited.

Look at history as to when the CRP started. And also why. Pretty much a welfare program for elder farmers and folks in the city to have income without doing any thing for it.

CRP is to whites like EBT cards to darkies. The government wants as many on the dole as possible. I have a friend who owns a 900 acre farm in the backbelt of central Alabama. The guy lives in North Carolina and uses the farm exclusively for deer hunting for him and a few of us friends. It is fenced really nice and I've tried to lease it to run cows on, he can't justify leasing it at a decent price to give up his 600 acres of CRP money.

We have crep here locals call it crap. You could not lease it for pasture and it work for the price they get. When they had open enrollment a few years back. Several farms were bought just to be put in. It would pay them off in a term.

I had another fellow stop by wanting to rent my pasture.

Pasture land must be very hard to come by. You look around and see unused pasture and unused undeveloped land everywhere.

Here CREP pays double the rental rate based on soil type. Sort of difficult to compete with double the rental rate. The area over by the bride's Mom's place use to be miles of dry land wheat with cattle running in the draws and the rocky ground. Now there is miles of CRP with the fences falling down.

CRP Conversation Reserve Program was designed to take marginal farm land out of production. Goal was conversation and to reduce commodities that the government was buying to support farmers and the storage of these commodities was getting to expensive and having the effect of depressing the market because of the amount in storage. The program was to reduce the amount the government was buying and storing. It seemed it would be less expensive to pay to not have the commodities produced than to store them. That is what I think the CRP was for. Someone else might have a better handle on this than I do.

Dave":1vyn4bg1 said:
Here CREP pays double the rental rate based on soil type. Sort of difficult to compete with double the rental rate. The area over by the bride's Mom's place use to be miles of dry land wheat with cattle running in the draws and the rocky ground. Now there is miles of CRP with the fences falling down.

Why don't they still pasture the draws and rocky ground?

What we have here has to be in a watershed. To improve water quality with all the sink holes that is about everywhere. Its not just marginal ground the good stuff too.

Latest posts