CRP

Help Support CattleToday:

Pay to not farm. Originally intended to reduce crop production which in turn created higher rents and competition for land as uncle Sam set price minimums. Worst program ever!!! Now they justify it as environmental cr@p

AllForage":1gvshbgz said:
Pay to not farm. Originally intended to reduce crop production which in turn created higher rents and competition for land as uncle Sam set price minimums. Worst program ever!!! Now they justify it as environmental cr@p

Well said! :nod:

bball":zrlllhjt said:
AllForage":zrlllhjt said:

Well said! :nod:

When did all of this CRP crap start.

I have been looking for land and a lot of what was good farm land years ago is now 10-15 year old pines. One realtor told me the crp was paying people to plant them. And i thought he said they were getting a yearly payment for growing them. And it may have been on here someone getting paid to leave the land alone for some birds or such.

CRP has been around for over 20 years. It is suppost to be for highly erodible land. That kind of ground that should have never been broke out in the first place. So they require you to plant it back to grass. Of course they don't allow you to graze or hay the grass. So the government pays you to have your land sit there and produce nothing. I know of people who got into the program early on. They bought land and put it into CRP. In ten years the CRP had paid for the land.

Dave":3uev8sji said:
CRP has been around for over 20 years. It is suppost to be for highly erodible land. That kind of ground that should have never been broke out in the first place. So they require you to plant it back to grass. Of course they don't allow you to graze or hay the grass. So the government pays you to have your land sit there and produce nothing. I know of people who got into the program early on. They bought land and put it into CRP. In ten years the CRP had paid for the land.

The newer programs you can hay 1/3 of it every year, more or less to keep the trees out of it. At least in our geography. It has turned from a farm program to a wildlife program over the years.

Yes Jake, up here it is a shelter for hunters to have their play land without paying the proper taxes. They also claim "tree farm" and get away with building non-dwelling. After that they can split it up any way they want. Shyt really p$sses me off something fierce!!!!!!!!!

Started as crop reduction then they pulled an Obama changing the language to highly erodable, birds, or wetland.

AllForage":39389q1z said:
Yes Jake, up here it is a shelter for hunters to have their play land without paying the proper taxes. They also claim "tree farm" and get away with building non-dwelling. After that they can split it up any way they want. Shyt really p$sses me off something fierce!!!!!!!!!

Started as crop reduction then they pulled an Obama changing the language to highly erodable, birds, or wetland.

Yep, and highly erodible, birds and wetland definitions are HIGHLY subjective. It has evolved into nothing but a circle jerk for the city hunters who want to come and play on the weekends. :bang:

In some counties they will pay you enough to set land aside as wetlands to pay for the entire farm. It varies by county. My understanding is that the wetlands program is permanent though and you really can't do anything productive with the land. The credit officer at my bank got paid over $10k per acre for what he set aside.

Latest posts