Effective Options for Coming out of CRP ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Seems like I have become the local patron for converting run down ground into free food plots. Another (deer hunting) owner called and asked if I would please rent his open ground which is coming out of CRP. I poured lots of lime and K on the last piece, and then seeded it to a branch root alfalfa, meadow fescue, and BFT based mix. The owners sons doubled their deer harvest but forgot to say thanks...

No fence or water available, and the old pasture is now hunting only, - - so have you seen success with interseeding or other less costly approaches to an old grass sod ?

Stocker Steve":357tcsiq said:
Seems like I have become the local patron for converting run down ground into free food plots. Another (deer hunting) owner called and asked if I would please rent his open ground which is coming out of CRP. I poured lots of lime and K on the last piece, and then seeded it to a branch root alfalfa, meadow fescue, and BFT based mix. The owners sons doubled their deer harvest but forgot to say thanks...

No fence or water available, and the old pasture is now hunting only, - - so have you seen success with interseeding or other less costly approaches to an old grass sod ?

Intensive rotational grazing does the trick.