Grass seed

Help Support CattleToday:

firemen122

Reaction score
well after planting my bahia seed we had 2 days of light rain here. when i walked my fields i found quite a bit of seed on top of the ground. birds are having fun. is this the norm? my gut says set disc straight hit light as possible and pull tire drag over. i already returned the field roller i used. any recommendations it is expensive bird food....... just dont wanna get too deep, but i cant hardly stand to see a bunch just waiting to be bird food....

Thanks Jim

What kind of birds? Disc light and leave off the tire drag might be better. Try it and see what it looks like.

Well i always called em snipes dont know if that is the proper name,a few finches and robins. I have pretty sandy soil and moisture leaves pretty fast thats why I was thinking drag after the disc to pack in a little. Thanks for the reply

I've tried the same thing you're talking about and my drag tended to roll up clumps of dead grass and soil into piles- and in so doing also rolled the seeds into the piles.. This may not happen in your field with your drag. It won't take long for you to find out. I don't think Robins or Snipes eat seeds. Finches and sparrows have an endless appetite for them.

I'd leave it be. Better to see some seed on top than none at all. Also keep in mind that bahia is going to germinate in stages since you have some hard coat and soft coated seeds. There is a general rule in seed planting that ideally you don't want the seed planted any more deeper than than three times the width of the seed. (yes I know you can go as deep as 1/2 inch) With bahia, turnips, rape and other small seeded plants - this is almost on top of the ground. I suspect many of the birds are just out there getting grit.

edit - correction due to brain flatulance :oops:

appreciate the replys. Makes sense about the clumps of grass. Guess i will leave well enough alone. I think i will send me 9 year old boy out with the 410 :mrgreen:

Latest posts