Grass Fed

Help Support CattleToday:

Fat chance on that happening.

ollie":2kl2eyxn said:
3000 head multi breed study. I wonder in the South American countries have heard of this. They may want to switch the country of Brazil from Nelore to Hereford or Angus .

I do not finish cattle on grass, but I do hope that if people are promoting this, the cattle do not get any sort of legumes, corn stalks, wheat, or oats since they are NOT grasses.
If fed any of those, the cattle will not truly be "Grass Fed". Right???

greatgerts":1hjgdpqo said:
I do not finish cattle on grass, but I do hope that if people are promoting this, the cattle do not get any sort of legumes, corn stalks, wheat, or oats since they are NOT grasses.
If fed any of those, the cattle will not truly be "Grass Fed". Right???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;-)

In the program I am in, clover and alfalfa quailfy, all the others in your list do not qualify. Clover qualified because we can't keep it out of our pastures and alfalfa if you happen to have a year like this you might need some as winter feed for heifers. (year like this being one where it was hard to make hay over 7 percent protein because of rain).

Cherokeeruby:

Please list the plants that a cow would "normally eat in a natural environment" such as ND, SD or IA until it is 26 months old.

Now how can I answer what they eat in South Dakota, I don't know what grows there. All I can tell you is what mine eat in Texas.

In the winter they will eat anything green, they browse on small bushes that carry their leaves over the winter, they eat buds on trees and flower blossoms.

In spring anything sprouting including broadleaf weeds are consumed. Any young tender plant is fair game.

Summertime grasses are the main diet component, but they will strain their necks over fences to get to bloodweed or walk along snapping flower heads off of flowers. Or one of my favorites is to watch them bump the pear tree to make the pears fall to the ground

Perhaps you should go out in the pasture and watch what they eat. Or maybe yours won't let you close enough to see.

And by the way, wheat, oats and corn are all grasses.