Spring time on grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you!
Nothing is predominant on this farm LOL. Have OG, Timothy, Fescue, Brome, Clover, Birdsfoot Trefoil - probably others also.
Out here, if you keep the weeds down/cut/grazed - you keep great pastures. Clover just comes in - native.
I moved here in 1978 and we have NEVER plowed or planted our pastures. I have put out different varieties of clover with an ATV spreader a couple times over the years.
Hubby knew all the different grasses & legumes. It's just good grasses & legumes to me!!! LOL
Not sounding very scientific or knowledgeable here am I???
We spread a little manure on them - rarely have ever fertilized - although 2 years ago I put down lime on all the hay fields & pastures.

Lookin good! Your grass is a bit ahead of mine. We are going to hold off another 2 weeks and get some more growth on it, and use up some hay. Of course, every day I'm singing that song "Tonight There's Gonna Be a Jail Break" (while I look at them eyeing the fence of their winter pasture, over at the green stuff so.close!)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2p3raln5 said:
Thank you!
Nothing is predominant on this farm LOL. Have OG, Timothy, Fescue, Brome, Clover, Birdsfoot Trefoil - probably others also.
Out here, if you keep the weeds down/cut/grazed - you keep great pastures. Clover just comes in - native.
I moved here in 1978 and we have NEVER plowed or planted our pastures. I have put out different varieties of clover with an ATV spreader a couple times over the years.
Hubby knew all the different grasses & legumes. It's just good grasses & legumes to me!!! LOL
Not sounding very scientific or knowledgeable here am I???
We spread a little manure on them - rarely have ever fertilized - although 2 years ago I put down lime on all the hay fields & pastures.

Your very lucky Jeanne. It seems to me where you get snow coverage over winter the moisture when it melts gives the grass a good kick start.

Ken

HaHa - moisture is not usually a problem in Upstate NY. Baleage is made heavily around here, because it is a rare occasion to get 3 days of sunshine in a row for drying hay in June. July - you generally will get a string of sunshine, but by then it is too mature. Ask me, that is what I fed all winter and I have very thin cows right now. Look at the 2-yr old in the 4th picture with her heifer Fre-Anna.
Dairy farmers will start putting up haylage any time now (green chop) - if not already started. We will stay green & lush through Sept/Oct. The snow usually comes before we run out of green growing pastures.
The ground is designed to receive moisture quite regularly. We can get a pretty good rain, and the next day farmers could be out disc-ing.

Yeah, Frosty might have to make it into our show string.
We had her mom up in our close up pen, but had not started to put her in the barn at night because she was still 2 weeks away from due date. Got up one morning and she had a set of heifer twins - one up & going the other dead. The one up and alive was almost snow white because it was soooo cold during the night - thus "Frosty".
You wouldn't think of NY as being a c/c state, but we grow grass - from late April (most years) to "snow's too deep for them to graze". Very difficult to save the grass for them to forage under the snow, because the snow gets too hard for them to forage. Even the deer are unable to forage thru it.

Nice cattle. I don't think I've ever seen more info written on ear tags!

Lazy M":1yy6xv2g said:
Nice cattle. I don't think I've ever seen more info written on ear tags!
Date born (month & day) - Sire - calf's tattoo number (which represents the dams ID & the year letter)
Heifer calves are tagged red in left ear - males yellow in right ear.
When people walk around the pastures, they don't need me to hold their hand for info. Pretty clear. Although, I am a detail/data nut and I always have a typed spreadsheet for people to carry around with them. LOL

Top form Jeanne. Do you struggle with keeping copper levels in line? Only asking because of the red tinge to the black calf.

Many of the Simmental black calves are "off" colored until they lose their baby hair. Some are hard to tell if they are red or black, except they have the jet black around their eyes, muzzle, feet & end of tail. Some calves are a nice jet black, and they are usually homo black. But, yes, copper is deficient like many minerals around here & it is supplemented in their free choice mineral. Everything is still winter "woolly" .

This area is so high in Molybdenum that we are feeding a near toxic level of Copper to offset it. Since we started using a custom mix mineral built for our specific operation, health and conception have greatly improved.