Spring time on grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3rq0wo3d said:
People do not realize how important the minerals are for the health & reproduction of the cattle.

I hear that all the time Jeanne, but I sure don't see it. My neighbors only put out mineral blocks, and have no vaccination programs. They seem to have very few problems of any kind for some reason, and it's a good thing because it's a rodeo whenever I haul cows for them. I feel their culling practices fix their lack of cattle husbandry. One neighbor has been doing it that way for 60+ years, and he let's me know that whenever I suggest we worm or spray his cows for flies. He just gets up wind and throws some sevin dust and hope it lands on the cows for flies.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1qqhl8nb said:
People do not realize how important the minerals are for the health & reproduction of the cattle.

I agree. We used to put out blocks only. White, brown and yellow. Starting almost 2 years ago we started using a loose mineral also. I have seen an overall improvement in health and fertility and breed back. We gave multi min last year to all the cows and the calves when worked and when weaned. Not sure if we will this year or not. But convince the loose mineral has really helped. Trying to decide if we are going to use a mineral with the fly control in it or not. Not convinced it helped much last year. And whether it is IGR or the Amaferm it is considerably higher. May just go with a solid loose mineral and use other fly control this year.

People complain about flies out here - but, they don't know what a fly problem is. I lived in Kansas for 12 years. We had FLIES!!!! I don't really do anything for fly control out here. We used to hang "bullets" in front of our mineral feeders, but just don't see the need. Yes, we have flies, but nothing compared to other parts of the country.

We have a major fly problem this year, never seen them this bad. Using medicated mineral, Ultra Sabre and spraying with a permethrin mix has only slowed the flies down temporarily. We're putting Bayer insecticide ear tags in asap, and pouring them with a ultra boss home brew. If the results aren't satisfactory I'm going back to using cheap pour on wormer for my fly control. I can't handle seeing a cloud of flies bothering the cattle.

Yes, he is. I just bred another one to him this morning. I don't know if he "needs" a stout big cow to match with or if he has enough on his own. I've been told Innocent Man will give you the right kind, but he needs a stout cow to get any size out of the calves. Frosty is looking like she will make it into our showstring.

this section of pasture is by our bass pond. When the pond was built, this area was where the excess dirt went. Hubby did seed this area to a perennial rye. (I lied when I said we didn't seed any of our pastures - I forgot about this small spot). If you look close, besides the extra dandelions, you can see all the clover that is growing - never seeded by us.