Grass fed beef sucks???

Help Support CattleToday:

Please excuse my ignorance but how long after you pull one off the pasture do you have to corn feed it to get the better or should I say different taste. We catch wild hogs and pour the corn to them for a month or so. Do cattle take longer?

peacemaker":3rzfc5mb said:
Please excuse my ignorance but how long after you pull one off the pasture do you have to corn feed it to get the better or should I say different taste. We catch wild hogs and pour the corn to them for a month or so. Do cattle take longer?

Yes about 90 days at top amount.

Any thing you are going to butcher will taste better if it is corn fed. I slaughter my own pork, beef, and goats. A lot has to do with the home raisen' of the animal with out all the added commercial extras, but feeding any animal a corn diet if you are going to consume him yourself is the only way to go....now if I were going to be feeding the city slicker, find the one that has been in the wild onion or bitter weed to butcher. It is like it is already seasoned.

Can we be honest with the public and admit grass finished beef is "NOT" all that tasty! Why do we put friends and family through the torture of eating our grass finished beef at a supper ect. and then having to tell us how GOOD it was ?? I raised grass finished beef for years and still do for some select consumers but when I pull a steak out of the freezer "to impress" I grab corn finished beef. How about you??

Just to make it clear we are in NO way talking about tenderness but rather JUST taste.

I normally don't agree with SRR, as we seem to have very differnt views on most subjects but i agree today. I'm not alone either, grass fattened cattle don't marble well and the better the marbling the fancier the restaraunt that serves it will be. People like grain fed well marbled beef and pay extra for it. Look at the quality grading system Prime=lots of corn prime also =premiums. The supermarket is alittle different because people have no idea what a good steak looks like. I hope i never have to eat grass beef again. I do prefer it over chicken.

Beef11":15mn35x7 said:
I normally don't agree with SRR, as we seem to have very differnt views on most subjects but i agree today.

I knew it got cold last night but I did not realize that he!! froze over :shock: ;-)

DiamondSCattleCo":15yhlqto said:
Following my new wife's 'we must healthier' demands, I finished my last two beefers on crested wheat/meadow brome grass (summer) and alfalfa hay (winter). No doubt it was lean, but I'm going back to the old, unhealthy, fat dripping from every corner, barley fed beef. Your arteries may harden at every bite, but I don't believe there is _anything_ that could possibly come close to it.

caveat: I've never tried a southern grass finished animal. I understand they're good eating, so hopefully I'll get the chance.

Rod

The alfalfa hay was what killed you, totally low sugar.

No one has mentioned the unregulated use growth hormones. A grass or fed pumped with hormones at max intervals will finish different and taste different than one without the hormones all other things being equal. Same with a corn fed. Also many commercial slaughter houses paint the carcass with chemical tenderizer several times while hanging. Some add nice red food coloring. If I had the choice of feeding cheap bulk grain or nitrogen rich grass, I'll take the grass and and match anyone's flavor and tenderness, at 18 months. Don't forget the minerals.
Steve

Jogeephus":2h3hk37i said:
IMO, Jack on ice with a drop of water is what everyone should drink - the rest is just junk. :lol:
IMO Vodka Preferably Absolut over a few cubes of ice. It will manufacture its own water.

S&J" Also many commercial slaughter houses paint the carcass with chemical tenderizer several times while hanging. Some add nice red food coloring. If I had the choice of feeding cheap bulk grain or nitrogen rich grass said:
The USDA requires an acid (Lactic or acetic) be sprayed on the carcass to control bacteria. Some company's will inject phosphates or ammonia into a cut before packaging. Red food coloring sprayed on the carcass is illegal.
I vote grassfed.

Corn fed is my preference. I have had grass fed in many different countries and have never had any that I thought compared to corn fed at home. I have slaughtered a few on the farm that hadnt had grain and none of them were any good for anything other then stew meat and chili. That being said, I do not know that I have ever had a grass fed that was fed out the way some of you people do it. So, I am not saying that grass fed could not be produced so that I would like it. I am just saying, so far, grass fed isnt anything I would choose. As far as the deer taste comment. The diet of the deer will greatly affect the taste of the meat. Deer in areas of corn, alfalfa, and soybeans will taste far better, to me, than the deer we have at home that are on a pure acorn diet for 2 months before hunting season.

stocky":2wiosuz7 said:
Corn fed is my preference. I have had grass fed in many different countries and have never had any that I thought compared to corn fed at home. I have slaughtered a few on the farm that hadnt had grain and none of them were any good for anything other then stew meat and chili. That being said, I do not know that I have ever had a grass fed that was fed out the way some of you people do it. So, I am not saying that grass fed could not be produced so that I would like it. I am just saying, so far, grass fed isnt anything I would choose. As far as the deer taste comment. The diet of the deer will greatly affect the taste of the meat. Deer in areas of corn, alfalfa, and soybeans will taste far better, to me, than the deer we have at home that are on a pure acorn diet for 2 months before hunting season.

In the PI I had carabao (water buffalo) thtat had probably died of old age and the only grain he would have gotten was the rice that he plucked while he was working the paddy. The fillet was fairly tender and absolutly the best beef type meat flavor wise that I've ever eaten.

dun

You can't take an animal that's been on a well used pasture all summer, have it slaughtered and call it grass fed. I call that barely fed. Soil testing as well as grass analyzing is a must for good grass feeding, just like we do with the hay to determine if the needs are being met. Proper grass feeding takes good management. Also with proper rotation of the pastures there is little to none of the worming problems. By the way, have you ever compared steaks from a young Holstein or Jersey steer to Hereford or an Angus? The former will have a better beef flavor than the latter. Let's don't fool ourselves into thinking that fat equals flavor. Heck, cheap hamburg is many times ground up eight year old cows with another animals fat mixed in just for weight and "flavor."

As a child in the 60s my dads description of grass fed beef at the sunday dinner table was ,, Eating the camels Hoof .

toby":1nj5ysn0 said:
Have found that beer feed and massaged beef is very good. Had it once at a remote radar site in N. Japan when 8 of us pooled our money to buy some Kobe Beef and have the Japaneese cook fix it for us one Sunday PM. :D Probably need a couple of pumping oil wells to afford it today. :roll:

I've spent a lot of time there and the beef in general isn't so great. Really fatty. Notice how many beef recipes in Japan are designed to stretch beef.

Far as grass fed vs grain fed goes I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

shaz":mlqkjmch said:
toby":mlqkjmch said:
Have found that beer feed and massaged beef is very good. Had it once at a remote radar site in N. Japan when 8 of us pooled our money to buy some Kobe Beef and have the Japaneese cook fix it for us one Sunday PM. :D Probably need a couple of pumping oil wells to afford it today. :roll:

I've spent a lot of time there and the beef in general isn't so great. Really fatty. Notice how many beef recipes in Japan are designed to stretch beef.

Far as grass fed vs grain fed goes I'm not sure I can tell the difference.

I can. Give me grain fed.

The venison comment was valid in the sense that one persons venison doesn't taste like another persons venison. If it's not handled right, yeah it tastes "gamey". In that case gamey doesn't equal "wild", it equals "rotten".

Along the same line, if i ate beef somebody called "grass fed/finished", but it was really just taken off some goobers pasture and butchered, it's not a true test.

I like grain fed, but I can't honestly say I've ever tried grass fed that was done right.

Latest posts