Grass-fed beef grows

Help Support CattleToday:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE

Reaction score
Grass-fed Beef Grows
By Suzanne Bopp
March 16, 2006

It's only been for 50 years or so that cattle have been going into feedlots to finish out their lives eating corn, but the process has become an assumption in the production chain. Now, more and more consumers are asking producers to go back to the old ways.

In Lakeview, Ore., rancher Pete Talbott is responding to that request by starting to sell grass-fed beef. It's still a small portion of his operation??—??last year he sold 12 or 13 head??—??and so far his business is only the result of word-of-mouth advertising, but it has proved profitable and he intends to grow it as long as that holds true. He sells animals, not meat, and since most customers don't want the whole animal, he can have 30 different customers for those animals, which makes his operations somewhat complicated. He facilitates the slaughter at a custom shop that is not federally inspected and delivers the frozen meat to his customers. With the plant four hours away and customers in Portland or the Bay area, it's a time-consuming endeavor.

"The majority of them have not bought beef this way before, so you have to kind of hold their hand," Talbott says. But he was able to get $1.25 per pound live last year, while the fed market was in the 90s; this year his price will be closer to $1.30.

Production considerations

Getting into grass-fed production does require some consideration of genetics; not every animal will finish well on grass. Their size, efficiency and the kind of carcass they'll produce matter. "How well the animal marbles and lays down fat is still important," says Glenn Nader, livestock and natural resources farm adviser for California State University. "You need to select for cattle that are moderate in terms of frame." In other words, typical Midwest feedlot cattle don't work, but more old-style cattle??—??fast-maturing and small-framed??—??do. "Those cattle work best on a low-input operation, whether or not they're finished on grass," says California grass-fed producer Joe Morris.

Talbott also went that direction in his breeding program but was going to do that in any case; his cows were getting too big to be profitable. Because he's selling whole animals, the large frames resulted in too much meat for most customers, even if they were only buying halves or quarters. The smaller animal suits that purpose better. Some producers are ultrasounding calves at weaning to determine which will go in their grass-fed program.

Even with the right kind of animals, it's more than just turning cattle out on pasture. "You have to pay attention to the quality of the forage available," Nader says. Talbott makes sure to save some high-quality forage for his grass-fed animals so they get the cream of the crop. There is an issue of seasonality with forages, too. "A lot of producers are trying to establish irrigated pastures to have grass year-round," Nader says. "But it tends to be a seasonal product. You have to develop a market that is seasonal, or harvest a lot of feed and feed them that." Or sell frozen meat, as Talbott does.

Darrell Wood, a rancher in northern California who started Western Grasslands Beef in late 1999, tried something different. He addressed both the seasonality issue and the consistency issue??—??grass-fed beef can take on different tastes depending on what they graze before harvest. He knew if he wanted to deliver a fresh product year-round, he needed a protocol, so he began backgrounding cattle up to 30 days in a hay lot. Western Grasslands Beef now has cattle coming into the program from Washington, Oregon, Nevada and Idaho. Wood says the people who put their cattle into his program to sell but want to retain ownership get 40 cents to 50 cents per pound on the carcass over Choice-carcass prices pretty consistently.

The changes Wood made to his cattle, which are at least 51 percent Angus, came not so much in their genetic makeup as in the attention he started paying to genetics, EPDs and performance. The results of that were that conception rates went up 10 percent and weaning weights went up 150 pounds per head.

"When you start raising cattle through their whole lives, you start seeing the inconsistencies," Wood says. "You start seeing how some carcasses ring the bell and some cost you a lot of money. Getting rid of poor producers, along with analyzing the nutritional end of things, moving to a high-end mineral program made a difference. After a year or two, the premiums on grass-fed made us wonder why we hadn't started earlier."

The biggest management change may be in simply keeping cattle longer than normal and having the investment in the animal over a longer period of time, but it's not much different from retaining ownership in the feedlot.

Marketing changes

The marketing and distribution of product becomes something to consider for the first time for many producers. "Once they start selling grass-fed, they're selling a product," Nader says. So it helps to have some skill and interest in marketing that product. One rancher told Nader he felt like he'd earned an MBA by selling grass-fed beef.

Unless you sell your cattle to a company like Western Grasslands to sell the product, you will have the cost and logistics of issues such as packaging and labeling; inherent in that is more cost. Inventory management can become a problem??—??what if someone wants to buy the primals but not hamburger? It's very important to have that plan in place before you start to harvest, Wood says, as he learned through experience.

"We go out and do cold calls on restaurants and supermarkets; we have a PowerPoint presentation ready," he says. He explains to retailers how his product enhances commodity beef, rather than competing with it. It allows retailers to reach out to customers who don't want to buy commodity beef but who shop in their store.

It helps to be close to an area with a high concentration of those customers with high disposable incomes who are willing to invest in food products, Nader says. They tend to be concentrated in urban areas. It also helps to be close to a processing plant, ideally, a USDA plant.

It was that opportunity for direct marketing to the consumer, directly from grass, that attracted Morris to operate the way he does. "There is a gap between a rancher and his neighbor," he says. "I wanted to cultivate that relationship." He sends a newsletter to about 600 people; about half of them will place orders for whole animals or a fraction thereof. "We do devote a lot of time to our market and talking to people. Direct marketing is a niche way of marketing," Morris says. "That will never be the norm."

His premiums are a result of the direct marketing, more than the production. He estimates he devotes about $150 per head in marketing to each animal, but when fed-cattle prices are in the upper 80s, he'll get about $1.30 live weight, and his business is growing by about 20 percent per year.

Still, the majority of consumers in this country are grain-fed oriented and not frequently exposed to grass-fed beef. "There's no denying the production problems. They don't get as fat as fast; they're tougher because they're a little older," Nader says. "That provides a challenge: to fatten animals and get the quality needed for purchases on a return basis. They might buy it once, but you have to get it right or customers will leave you."

In addition, the feedlot system we use today is efficient for beef production. "It takes less land base the way the system is designed," Nader says. "We could not go back and produce the amount of beef we produce today."

The future

How big can grass-fed beef become? "It will always be a small portion of production, but it's rapidly expanding," Nader says. "Those (who get) in early will be those who will control it."

But others disagree about that assessment and point to the organic- and natural-foods category; the same thing was said of those, but sales continue to climb.

In fact, Morris thinks grass-fed beef, or at least forage-fed, can become the norm. "I think it's reactionary to say it's a niche and always will be," Morris says. The industry structure could remain the same, with those who specialize in finishing animals doing that with grass or forage. "We could produce every bit as much beef as we do now," he says. "We don't know how to grow grass year-round, but we could figure it out." It might mean moving cattle around the country with the seasons, but he can see the possibilities for a grass-fed future.

Yet another reason to go back to the older basic breeds and crosses (like the Murray Grey, which is angus/shorthorn),that do exceptionally well on grass!
;-) :cboy: :D

I've been looking into grass fininshing and I just don't see how I can make it work. And one of the main concerns I have is marketing.

The only grass I have seen in the last six months is the grass my neighbors are smoking. I don't think there is enough grass in the U.S. to provide a competative supply of beef. Just my thought.

KMacGinley":2lkc8jtt said:
LLoyd can I send my cows down to you in the winter so that I won't have to feed them stalks and silage up here?
All you gotta do is plant the ryegrass.

Well with good warm season grass then cool season grass for fall and spring and wheat pasture for winter I Could make grass finishing work. I guess my biggest two questions would be where can I market the beef and where can I find enough grass for this type of operation. Then there is the problem of genetics. My cows are too big for grass finishing.
Then I have the question of profit???
What is the bottom line? Is it really more profitable or not?
I think not...

There is grass in some places of the US that will work.

In some places hay will have to be fed during the Winter.

It will work if you know what you are doing.

It will not work with some of the pseudo-Angus we now have.

You'll have to do your homework to find the ones that work.

Most of them will probably be in some mom and pop herds, as any of the big boys buy into the high performance deal, so their won't work.

Pharos won't work very good either, in spite of what he says.

At this point, none of the grassfed guys are actually checking for choice, either, so quality is a ral crapshoot.

It can be done, but just be sure you pay yourself enough to do it.

By the time you totally overhaul your ideas, and management, all that must be taken into consieration.

mtnman

For hot, arid or humid areas the Tuli is tailor made for grass feeding, all mine were 'Veld reared' with only mineral suppliments. I would choose to use a Tuli based cross for commercial production. I would be interested to see some Murray Grey/Tuli crosses they should be a good blend judging by the crosses between old style British breeds and Tuli as we bred in Africa for finishing at three years on grass for a trademarked product.
I helped a friend near Salisbury, England, to set up a butchery selling grass fed beef,free-range pigs,chickens and eggs.
We reasearched local interest in these products and started with 1/2 steer, 3 pork pigs, 1 bacon pig and a neighbour providing the eggs and chickens.
To start, we worked late cutting and packing the carcasses and making sausages . We doubled production in a month, and a full time butcher was employed after only four months,all through word of mouth advertising. The initial reasearch is crucial to starting up,and at least one person able to butcher carcasses down to saleable cuts. Cost of approved premises must be considered or the cost an existing butcher to do the work for you.

Some genetics will work, and some will not...even among
the breeds known for tenderness. DNA testing for the
presently-known tenderness genes, plus ultrasound will
tell you which animals should be your seedstock---if they
are also correct size-wise and have good muscle attributes.

Tallgrass beef company does check for quality before
buying steers. They will buy your steers, and pay a
very nice premium as I understand. We do not market
through them, and sell all our beef direct to the customer.
they have 'custom finishing' people that take 800-900lb
animals and finish them out on forage.

OK Jeanne":h1ac77c9 said:
Some genetics will work, and some will not...even among
the breeds known for tenderness. DNA testing for the
presently-known tenderness genes, plus ultrasound will
tell you which animals should be your seedstock---if they
are also correct size-wise and have good muscle attributes.

Tallgrass beef company does check for quality before
buying steers. They will buy your steers, and pay a
very nice premium as I understand. We do not market
through them, and sell all our beef direct to the customer.
they have 'custom finishing' people that take 800-900lb
animals and finish them out on forage.

I talked to them guys at tallgrass beef and they said i would have to go with completly different genetics.

Some of pharo's probably will, the rest is hype.

They probably would have worked better 5 years ago when they really had the lower performers mixed in there.

Now, it's a bunch of Ohldhe stuff too. Good cattle, but not grass finishing cattle.

The Ohlde stuff Kit is using just has too much power for grass fattening.

They look like they will work, but they generally won't.

They are smaller bulls, but a lot of that is just smaller because of environment, not smaller because of genetics.

Some are, most aren't.

mtnman

Latest posts