Grapette Just for Fun

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":kbfcywyn said:
I'm collecting hundred dollar bills. You never know they might be worth something someday.

At the rate our currency depreciates, better to spend it now!!!

slick4591":3s8hbtn6 said:
wacocowboy":3s8hbtn6 said:
slick4591":3s8hbtn6 said:
Popular back the 30's & 40's. My bottle contained syrup that you would mix with water and make your grape drink and when empty it became a bank. This bottle is called the Slick-Eared Elephant if you want to read about it.

Interesting. So did they all have an interesting design?

There's another elephant which there's an abundance of. They also put the syrup in cat and clown shaped bottles under the Grapette name. Snowcrest also sold the syrup in a Bear shaped bottle. All of those were banks when you emptied them. The slick-eared is valuable because of the glass shortage in WWII. They made that bottle out of much thinner glass which were broken easier. I don't have proof, nor can I find any, but it's been said by other collectors there's only 35 to 40 of those in accounted for.

Cool I learned something new today.

Bright Raven":1n7jj1lb said:
slick4591":1n7jj1lb said:
Would you pay $650.00 for this bottle?

Most people probably wouldn't and I don't guess I could blame them. I've been collecting Grapette memorabilia for about 25 years and bought that bottle 22 years ago for $500.00. I've come to realize none of my kids give a crap about my collection and it would either end up in a garage sale for a pittance or trashed after the wife and I are gone. I've been kicking that thought around for a while and have decided to liquidate the collection. Just ran this bottle on Ebay and didn't sell, but a guy contacted me and said he wanted it if I would let him pay it out, so I'm selling.

Dennis,
I am going through the same phase of my life. For example, I have a case knife collection. Some very nice pieces. If I passed away tonight, my son might sell them for a fraction of their value or put them in the attic to rust away. I need to sell them and send him a nice IRA contribution.

I also have some very nice trophy mounts. Bighorn sheep, pronghorn, elk, mule deer, Rocky Mountain Goat, Bushbuck, Kudu, Cape Buffalo, Eland, etc. I need to dispose of those too. Material possessions that I don't use on a regular basis no longer have the appeal they once did.

If you ever have time I would love to see photos of the knives and mounts. I have a knife collection should be bigger but had some stolen. My dad gets me the Case Christmas knife every year. I think they are neat wish I had somewhere to display them.

wacocowboy":1zmec4gp said:
Bright Raven":1zmec4gp said:
slick4591":1zmec4gp said:

Most people probably wouldn't and I don't guess I could blame them. I've been collecting Grapette memorabilia for about 25 years and bought that bottle 22 years ago for $500.00. I've come to realize none of my kids give a crap about my collection and it would either end up in a garage sale for a pittance or trashed after the wife and I are gone. I've been kicking that thought around for a while and have decided to liquidate the collection. Just ran this bottle on Ebay and didn't sell, but a guy contacted me and said he wanted it if I would let him pay it out, so I'm selling.

Dennis,
I am going through the same phase of my life. For example, I have a case knife collection. Some very nice pieces. If I passed away tonight, my son might sell them for a fraction of their value or put them in the attic to rust away. I need to sell them and send him a nice IRA contribution.

I also have some very nice trophy mounts. Bighorn sheep, pronghorn, elk, mule deer, Rocky Mountain Goat, Bushbuck, Kudu, Cape Buffalo, Eland, etc. I need to dispose of those too. Material possessions that I don't use on a regular basis no longer have the appeal they once did.

If you ever have time I would love to see photos of the knives and mounts. I have a knife collection should be bigger but had some stolen. My dad gets me the Case Christmas knife every year. I think they are neat wish I had somewhere to display them.

I will take a picture. I have a wall glass case. In fact, 2 of them. It might be harder than I think selling my knives. Not so much the trophies.

Bright Raven":1fjj8wpf said:
callmefence":1fjj8wpf said:
I'm collecting hundred dollar bills. You never know they might be worth something someday.

Need to buy gold dollar not worth anything.

Bright Raven":28fecmh9 said:
slick4591":28fecmh9 said:

Dennis,

I know where you are coming from. One of my fears is that I'll kick the bucket and my wife will sell all of my traps for what I told her I paid for them. :cowboy:

Farm Fence Solutions":nybln852 said:
Bright Raven":nybln852 said:
slick4591":nybln852 said:

Dennis,

I know where you are coming from. One of my fears is that I'll kick the bucket and my wife will sell all of my traps for what I told her I paid for them. :cowboy:

Sorta the reason my wife made me stop catering. She was afraid it would kill me and she wouldn't what to sell the commercial for.

hurleyjd":2w0wqr8a said:
Bright Raven":2w0wqr8a said:
callmefence":2w0wqr8a said:

Need to buy gold dollar not worth anything.

Well apparently 6 and half of em will still get you a empty soda bottle.

greybeard":2cev77fg said:
I probably drank the equivalent of nine RR tank cars of Grapette in my youth. By far my favorite.
Suncrest and Mission after that.

Not me. I've been drinking Dr. Pepper for 50 years.

Rafter S":1vu0mbae said:
greybeard":1vu0mbae said:
I probably drank the equivalent of nine RR tank cars of Grapette in my youth. By far my favorite.
Suncrest and Mission after that.

Not me. I've been drinking Dr. Pepper for 50 years.

Member of my family owned Dr Pepper didn't leave me one thin dime when they sold out.

I used to collect a lot when I was a kid. I collected sports cards. Then the bottom fell out and I was left with thousands and thousands of expensive bookmarks. I like to collect little things now, that pertain to important historical stuff or pop culture. None of it is worth anything, and never will be, but I'm also not paying out big bucks. I think the most interesting thing that I have is a Nazi coin from 1939 that I paid $2 for. It's an interesting thought to think where that coin has been. I also have a Kennedy campaign pin and a newspaper from his assassination. I don't knock collecting, it's just that you have to do it right. You have to know what you're looking at, what it's worth and the market for it. I don't have the time to keep up on that stuff, so I just "enjoy" others' collections.

Farm Fence Solutions":19tbffiw said:
Bright Raven":19tbffiw said:
slick4591":19tbffiw said:

Dennis,

Are you a trap collector? You would be amazed at my neighbor's collection. I mean AMAZED

Edited to add: if you get down my way, I will ask Adrian to show you his collection. He has hand foraged traps that were made by native American trappers during the Frontiersman age. Some are bear traps. Every kind of mouse trap ever made.

Bright Raven":332stzud said:
Farm Fence Solutions":332stzud said:
Bright Raven":332stzud said:
Dennis,

Are you a trap collector? You would be amazed at my neighbor's collection. I mean AMAZED

Edited to add: if you get down my way, I will ask Adrian to show you his collection. He has hand foraged traps that were made by native American trappers during the Frontiersman age. Some are bear traps. Every kind of mouse trap ever made.

I'm not really a collector, but I used to do quite a bit of trapping. I've got a few hundred, but nothing that's really old or valuable. I'd like to see your neighbors collection some day when I get down your way.

Of all the material things I've collected over the years, this one is my favorite. 56' Les Paul Custom that my Grandpa bought new when he got home from Korea. This thread makes me realize that I need to sell all my junk and get to collecting memories instead of junk.

Farm Fence Solutions":1dg0jiko said:
Bright Raven":1dg0jiko said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1dg0jiko said:

I'm not really a collector, but I used to do quite a bit of trapping. I've got a few hundred, but nothing that's really old or valuable. I'd like to see your neighbors collection some day when I get down your way.

Just meeting Adrian is an experience. He is 72. He has over 100 antique anvils. Every type of forging tool ever known to man. He will drive to North Dakota to buy one item at an auction. He literally, I mean literally has 3 barns completely full of collectables. He has one room in a barn with nothing but different types of hammers.

He has a 4th grade education and if you show him a part from a rake, roller, baker, etc. He will make it. He can talk metallurgy with the best of them. But be warned, he is eccentric. No one on this forum can hold a candle to some of his philosophy. I was at the Mayslick mill one time. Some how the subject of religion came up. He said "I believe in God but I will be damned before I will spend my time with such nonsense!"

Bright Raven":xoziqb5z said:
Farm Fence Solutions":xoziqb5z said:
Bright Raven":xoziqb5z said:

Just meeting Adrian is an experience. He is 72. He has over 100 antique anvils. Every type of forging tool ever known to man. He will drive to North Dakota to buy one item at an auction. He literally, I mean literally has 3 barns completely full of collectables. He has one room in a barn with nothing but different types of hammers.

He has a 4th grade education and if you show him a part from a rake, roller, baker, etc. He will make it. He can talk metallurgy with the best of them. But be warned, he is eccentric. No one on this forum can hold a candle to some of his philosophy. I was at the Mayslick mill one time. Some how the subject of religion came up. He said "I believe in God but I will be damned before I will spend my time with such nonsense!"

That is the kind of people I like to meet. Hammers are my weak spot, but the anvils, tongs, pritchels, forges, etc are starting to stack up around here too. Antique fence tools are another hobby I need to get away from. :bang:

Bright Raven":1ulhbjtu said:

You've got to get some pictures of those old, old traps. That's something I'd like to see.

Bestoutwest":uy3oq7nz said:
Bright Raven":uy3oq7nz said:

You've got to get some pictures of those old, old traps. That's something I'd like to see.

Adrian will not let me take pictures. If Farm comes down, I think I can arrange a visit. He has several full size bear traps. Newhouse. Victor. Etc

Latest posts