grants

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl

Reaction score
I am new to this board and am looking for any and all advise on starting a cattle ranch (beef). I have looked into land in Tennessee (internet only) and the different breeds of cattle.

I would like to get a grant to start the business if anyone knows where I could get the information to start my venture I would appreciate it.

If anyone knows where this cattleguy - being me - can get a grant -would you please contact me asap?

I'd love to find one as well!

Not interested in loans, I have too many already. :oops:

Thanks in advance,

Bez

Oh Brother - only in America can people actually believe it's possible that the tax dollars of successful cattle people (who have years of experience from the school of hard knocks) should be taken and used to give money to other cattle people who might have a little knowlege but no experience.

That said, I don't know of any grants, but the soil conservation service has matching funds for things such as cross fences, grass and legume planting, tree planting, fertility, pond building and other things of that nature. However, I don't think anyone is going to give you money to go and buy cows.

I did see in this months progressive farmer that there are counties that will give you land if you build a house and live on it for several years. You might try that out.

USDA also has a beginning farmer loan program. Don;t know how it works, too old to be a beginner.

dun

Subsoil":1jrdqqcj said:
Oh Brother - only in America can people actually believe it's possible that the tax dollars of successful cattle people (who have years of experience from the school of hard knocks) should be taken and used to give money to other cattle people who might have a little knowlege but no experience.

I wouldn't mind onna those grants myself. Not sure what kinda taste it'd leave in me mouth,though . 8)

that's right dun. i'm positive they have those programs for beginning farmers. check with your local gov office or with young farmers of america organization.

I do not know one state or province - off hand that does not have a loan program.

The question that was asked was about - GRANTS

It was asked in a manner that - at least to me - indicated there are some. Where are they? Please - someone tell me.

:lol: :shock:

Bez

I call a grant money given to you by the government or foundation that you don't have to pay back. I don't know of any grant that will buy you cows or land.

However, the EQIP program through USDA-NRCS will pay from 50 -75% of the things I mentioned in my earlier post. If you pay $2500 to put in some clover and apply lime and fertilize to get it going and then they you $1875 (75%) back, that just as good as a grant. Other than these cost share programs, I don't know where your going to get money handed to you.

I have found it is pretty difficult to get on to the EQUIP program. We applied and went through the steps last year, we had to fill out tons of paperwork and never got anything out of it. I don't know what we did wrong, but it's not easy.

It's based on a point system. You want to do thing that are rated high in points but don't cost as much. While they offer brush control, it can be expensive and doesn't help the environment that much so they don't give you much credit.

On the other hand, ponds, legumes, and cross fences help the enviroment so they are worth more. Also, if you fence off creek for riparian zones, they will give you lots of point and help make you application get higher priority. Paddocks need to be at least 10 acres each with water if cross fencing.

There may be lots of people in your area doing the program so that could be you problem to. It's semi-competitive.

Sidney --- I think what Subsoil just posted pretty much sums up my experience with the EQIP program. I was given a "contract" on my third year of formally applying. There usually is a local committee that selects the folks that can get some of the very limited $$ allocated to each county. My program was to eradicate huisache, chinese tallow and McCarty rose bushes --- but my agent said my chances of getting selected (getting more "points" ??) would be greatly enhanced if I agreed to do some cross-fencing so I agreed to do so. ( I had intended to cross fence that pasture anyway so that was a no-brainer). The feds like the idea of cross fencing since it assists in rotational grazing and better grass management -- they are of the belief (as probably are most of us) that a pasture with a lot of huisache, wild roses, mesquite, etc. is an indicator of over-grazing and/or other bad management practices. You may have better luck with an EQIP application if you can get your local agent to tell you how to maximize your "points" for your particular county.

Now that I have completed my brush killing program, and completed all the related paper work, I've been waiting more than 3 months for my cost share $$$. I've been getting some song & dance to the effect that "well, there is only one lady in Waco that processes ALL of the EQIP funds dispersal paperwork for the entire state of Texas and we can't tell you when she'll get around to processing your claim....." ---- very frustrating. :roll: :mad:

Actually there are in fact some grants available through the Golden Leaf Foundation, that is money from the tobacco lawsuit/buyout.

We have had several farmers in the area get small grants to either start or add to the herds they already had. As well as other projects.

But like most goverment sponsored programs....they now "own" you. These farmers are constantly complaining about the paperwork, and inspections they have to go through. Not to mention, the 'little' civil service workers constantly bringing the 'bigger'civil service workers around to see what they have done with the money, and I can only assume to justify their own jobs.

So you if you can stand the goverment knowing ALL about your business, and you have a desire to see them regularly.... go for it....

But like most goverment sponsored programs....they now "own" you.

One of my brothers went through all that. Cross fencing, build a pond, etc for erosion control in a water shed area ( more points ). The only catch was he had to build every thing to goverment specs., and then like Medic24 said there was a constant flow of paperwork & people coming out to inspect everything.

He got his money but he had to work for it.

;-)

Latest posts