grants

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl

Reaction score
I would like to thank those people who responded to my question regarding getting a grant. I have contacted the USDA for information and I also have 2 real estate agents looking into getting a grant through the goverment. At least there are people out there willing to help find the information. And being a woman will probably help also.

If you want to get into the cattle business, I think that is great and I wish you a lot of luck. On the other hand, if you're wanting us taxpayers to finance it for you, I think that really sucks!

You know, this country already gives you a grant---it grants you the freedom to work for what you want. The opportunity to have your dream and work to achieve it. There's only so much burden the taxpayers can stand. Am I the only one that feels that way?

Why should being a woman help? Are you less intelligent? Is being a woman a handicap to success? Think you deserve a little special treatment?

Hey! Maybe I need a grant, too. Why don't we all get a grant? Give us a break! :mad:

texan, have you looked at the price of land & cattle lately, not to mention the ave. age of farmers. it is almost impossible to start up from scratch on your own. if we don;t help our own ,countries lke japan will buy up our farms.

Its not a God given right that you get to have whatever everyone else has! If you want to do something, then save your money or go to a bank and borrow some, like most of us have had to do to either start or expand a business. If for some reason she loses her arse on this project, she gets to walk away and we get stuck footing the bill in the long run. I got a daughter in college now that I have to write a helluva check for every year because Uncle Sam tells me I make to much money to get any grants or gov't assistance. Sounds to me like I am being penalized for being successful and having a little luck and owning a business that happens to be profitable.
I've been racking my brains out for a couple of weeks trying to decide if I want to buy replacements at the salebarn for $1000 or go to a breed sale and pay $1500 ea. Heck, if the gov't is going to give me the money, then my decision is an easy one, give me the high dollar cows!

I've got no problem with a bank lending you money to start your operation, since they are taking the risk/making the profit, but you've specifically stated again, in this post, that it is grants you are after.

Texan":26v5oe6a said:
If you want to get into the cattle business, I think that is great and I wish you a lot of luck. On the other hand, if you're wanting us taxpayers to finance it for you, I think that really sucks!

You know, this country already gives you a grant---it grants you the freedom to work for what you want. The opportunity to have your dream and work to achieve it. There's only so much burden the taxpayers can stand. Am I the only one that feels that way?

Why should being a woman help? Are you less intelligent? Is being a woman a handicap to success? Think you deserve a little special treatment?

Hey! Maybe I need a grant, too. Why don't we all get a grant? Give us a break! :mad:
Texan,That was my thoughts exactly.There are too many people with their hands out wanting something for nothin'.Then when they start talkin'about it ,they think they are taking it from the Gov.(we are the Gov.)I'm havin' a hard enough time paying my own way,i sure don't need many more freeloaders.The foreners are comin' over here to the good old U.S.of A. takin' all they can get to buy shrimp boats, motels,resturants and conv. stores and never have to pay it back(from what i've heard) I think enough is enough. :mad:

If anyone deserves a grant in here, it should be myself! Iwasn't priviligized enough to grow up on a farm like most of you guys, therefore I have had to learn about cattle from other ranchers and the internet. That just doesn't seem fair, how am I supposed to compete with you more experienced folks who have been around cattle all your life? I believe they should take part of the sale money you get from each cow and put it aside for us guys who are just learning, so we can compete with you experienced guys. ;-) :cboy:

I have to agree to some extent with Eric and Texan... there comes a point when all of us get frustrated "giving" to folks that should have the same opportunities we all did when we acheived our ranching goals.. or are working towards.

I'm a Realtor, and I could tell you horror stories of FHA and VA loan misuses.. some of which are coming back to haunt everyone in foreclosures. It's really getting bad in this part of the country.. and when the loans come back, there is no equity in the property and the gov't (you and me) are eating the losses.

Eric, I think you're misjudging a lot of the folks on this board as well. We were not raised on a ranch.. neither myself nor my husband came from "wealthy" families or ranchers for that matter. We lived in a cheap rent house and saved our money, and slowly worked our way towards our ranch .. learning as much as we could on the way.

Texan":17wq8brq said:

Very well said!

I need a grant too.....cus my daddy used to punish me when i did wrong as a child........in today's world that is child abuse. I need another grant because some kid made fun of me at school when I was young and I am afraid it has scarred me for life.
I deserve yet another grant because I ONLY have 65 acres and a few head of cattle I deserve so much more.
But the reality of it all, like it or not, I would much rather see someone in agriculture getting grants then some idiot with some lame idea that everyone with a brain knows will never work, but yet he or she gets the big money.
Or some freaky artist who gets free money to make a protrait of Jesus out of Human excriment....remember that really did happen several years ago.

Or some one who gets grant money to help the underpriveliged terrorists in other countries, and yes that has happened as well.

Or yet another freaky artist who spends hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars to spread a pink cloth around San Fransico bay for a day just to take some pictures. and yes, that happend some years ago too.
Would much rather see a hard working agricultural enterprise get it.
After all, out goverment is goint to give it away anyway...... better a good reason versus some freak show.

Or even worse yet...giving billions to Iraqi's so they can continue to propogate and come back later to terrorize us some more. And yes that is happening now.

First of all I don't think that because I am a woman I am better than any other MALE or FEMALE out there who has gotten a grant to start a business.

Secondly, Why should we as US citizens give away money to all of the foreigners that just come here and have everything handed to them, they don't have to pay taxes, they can live in Mexico get a P.O. box in Texas collect our welfare, social security and what ever else the goverment will give them and then cross back over to Mexico. If any one has a right to get a grant from the govermant it is people that live work and pay taxes in the US, not every Tom, Dick and foreigner that doe not.

You would think that ranchers and farmers would be glad that there are people who want to keep the industry going instead you want to bash people because they want to get help from a source that the AMERICAN PEOPLE are putting into to service the AMERICAN PEOPLE.

It is nice to know that there are citizens that like to support non citizens, but when it comes to supporting there own they think we are getting the hand out.

I suppose we should be gald that you are interested in $$$ to start a business instead of going on welfare.

As far as the "WOMAN" card--you pulled that one.

Good luck--with lots of very hard work you can make it!

I dont think anyone [/i]likes to see our tax dollars go to support anyone but our own family, neither foreigner nor citizen. Most of us in here have either done without or lived below our means in order to achieve this life we choose to live.

Many years ago, 1940's, small grain prices were at a low point as were livestock prices. I asked my grandfather why all the local farmers didnt get to gather and with hold their products. (Sorta like a union action). He said "we farmers are to damn independent" its true today except when it comes to one of their own. :D

Earl":3pf7knh1 said:
First of all I don't think that because I am a woman I am better than any other MALE or FEMALE out there who has gotten a grant to start a business.

Secondly, Why should we as US citizens give away money to all of the foreigners that just come here and have everything handed to them, they don't have to pay taxes, they can live in Mexico get a P.O. box in Texas collect our welfare, social security and what ever else the goverment will give them and then cross back over to Mexico. If any one has a right to get a grant from the govermant it is people that live work and pay taxes in the US, not every Tom, Dick and foreigner that doe not.

You would think that ranchers and farmers would be glad that there are people who want to keep the industry going instead you want to bash people because they want to get help from a source that the AMERICAN PEOPLE are putting into to service the AMERICAN PEOPLE.

It is nice to know that there are citizens that like to support non citizens, but when it comes to supporting there own they think we are getting the hand out.

I don't think I should have my money go to support foreigners who are here illegally or abroad. But I don't want my money going to support you either. I have my own family to support. I paid my way though college, bought my own house, my land, and my cattle. I didn't even grow up in a farming/ranching home. Get a job, support yourself and your ranch. If you can't manage money well enough to get yourself started then how are you going to manage a ranch. Quit looking to take my money. There are to many people after it now.

Earl":35a50jer said:

So what did you mean when you posted this? " And being a woman will probably help also."

Did you mean that you should get special treatment since you are a woman? So why should you get special treatment?

Latest posts