grants

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl":5qs3dkah said:
You would think that ranchers and farmers would be glad that there are people who want to keep the industry going instead you want to bash people because they want to get help from a source that the AMERICAN PEOPLE are putting into to service the AMERICAN PEOPLE.

We're glad to see people wanting to get into the industry we just don't want to pay their way. We built ours the old fashion way. We earned it!

Why are yall so angry at Earl? You should be angry with our govt. They are the ones who decide where our tax dollars go. If the govt set aside some of our tax dollars in a program to pay back loans that were taken out to buy cattle or land, how many of you would apply? How many of you guys are tax exempt? Who is paying for that? Why should I pay taxes on my feed, gates, tanks, etc.. when others dont have too?

There's a big difference between a loan and a grant. I don't know of any rancher who's tax exempt unless you're talking about state sales tax but that's another subject. This is about federal handouts.

Craig-TX

If the govt said that they will pay back your loans, Would you inquire? The way I see it, the money that would be used to repay your loans is grant money or "federal handout".

Yes I am talking about state tax. Did you apply to be state tax exempt? "state handout"

9 ER --- are you saying that you have been paying Texas sales tax on items you purchased for agricultural purposes (feed, tools & equipment, fencing supplies, etc. )? If so, all you need to do is tell the merchant that your purchase is for "ag use" and they will possibly make you sign their own form to document the exempt use, but they won't charge any sales tax.

9 ER":gwa9pv30 said:
If the govt said that they will pay back your loans, Would you inquire? The way I see it, the money that would be used to repay your loans is grant money or "federal handout".

No! I would not ask taxpayers to step in and repay debts which I promised to pay.

9 ER":gwa9pv30 said:
Yes I am talking about state tax. Did you apply to be state tax exempt? "state handout"

Yes, I do use the state sales tax exemption for ag related purchases. It would be fine with me if they drop the farm use exemption, but as long as it's there I'll use it. That is NOT a 'state handout' regardless of how you look at it. A handout is when the government gives you somebody else's money for nothing. Any time you can legally avoid giving them your own money – federal, state or otherwise – that's not a handout. That's keeping your own earnings and not handing them out to the government. Huge difference. If I can keep a dollar from being taken away by the govt, that is a dollar of mine that I saved – NOT a dollar given to me. Don't fall for the liberal lie that tax breaks are government giveaways.

Craig-TX

Craig,

It's easy to say you wouldn't take the money now when things are good. But lets compare it to somebody raising corn and beans and not even breaking even. You can choose to sell the farm that has been in your family for generations and get a job in town, or you can get the LDP's from the gov't. I would guess 90% of farmers are getting welfare then.

Let's suppose BSE hits the US really hard shaking consumer confidence and we can't hardly give fat cattle away. The gov't decides to set up a program that puts a floor under cattle prices, would you refuse the gov't help and let your ranch go?

If the Canadians were given the chance to get another dime for their beef don't you think they would have done it?

It would be fine with me if they drop the farm use exemption, but as long as it's there I'll use it.
You said it. If its available use it.

A handout is when the government gives you somebody else's money for nothing.
It doesnt matter if they dont actually give you money. They pay part of your bill so you dont have to. Who pays for the money lost by you not paying sales tax? TAXPAYERS

Look, I'm all for ag sales tax exemption even though Brazoria county says that I dont qualify because I dont own enough land. But to bash a person for trying to take advantage of a system that you yourself use is not right.

Is there anyone else that would not let the govt pay off an ag loan if they offered? How about all you college grads. Would you let the govt repay you student loans?

9 ER":5zdhc1y3 said:
Why are yall so angry at Earl? You should be angry with our govt. They are the ones who decide where our tax dollars go. If the govt set aside some of our tax dollars in a program to pay back loans that were taken out to buy cattle or land, how many of you would apply? How many of you guys are tax exempt? Who is paying for that? Why should I pay taxes on my feed, gates, tanks, etc.. when others dont have too?

The reason that I'm mad at Earl is that she is actively seeking our tax dollars to fund what we have worked so hard to build. If it wasn't for people looking to sponge of the sweat of others the Gov. would have never put in such grants.

No one is paying for the exemptions. Every dollar that is not taxed is another dollar the Gov. can't give away to people that did not work for it. The Gov. has no right to take my money to give to someone else that did not earn it. I decide what charities I give to not the Gov.

I let them pay off some. I taught school in a poor district that had a hard time getting teachers to come teach and got some paid for me. I thought that was a good trade. I only made 25 grand per when a man I graduated with made 35 at a nicer school. What I don't like are the ones taht don't even try to work or make a crop be it cattle or corn. Growing up I saw a lot of cotton farmers work the system and my father try because of pride. They came out about the same. Only difference was my dad made a product to sell and they went fishing. :mad:

Won't even touch the thought of inercity.

Scotty

9 ER":11ar6fmd said:
It would be fine with me if they drop the farm use exemption, but as long as it's there I'll use it.
You said it. If its available use it.

A handout is when the government gives you somebody else's money for nothing.
It doesnt matter if they dont actually give you money. They pay part of your bill so you dont have to. Who pays for the money lost by you not paying sales tax? TAXPAYERS

Look, I'm all for ag sales tax exemption even though Brazoria county says that I dont qualify because I dont own enough land. But to bash a person for trying to take advantage of a system that you yourself use is not right.

Is there anyone else that would not let the govt pay off an ag loan if they offered? How about all you college grads. Would you let the govt repay you student loans?

We do not ask for other people's money just to keep the money that we earned. Your views of taxes are idiotic. You talk like the Gov. has a right to every dollar that we make and we should be thankful for any money they let us keep.

9 ER":3isea2tt said:
Look, I'm all for ag sales tax exemption even though Brazoria county says that I dont qualify because I dont own enough land.

Are you talking about property taxes on your land or sales tax on you feed and other ag related things?

Property taxes are completely different from sales tax. Most counties have a certain amount of acreage and number of cattle to get an ag exemption on property.

If you are paying sales tax on cow feed at the feed store, then your feed dealer is getting that extra money. Also, Brazoria county has no say so on paying sales tax on ag exempt items at places like feed stores and Tractor Supply and other places that you buy equipment, fencing supplies, etc. from.

All I'm saying is those who use the system(govt help....federal, state, or local ) should not criticize others that try.

We do not ask for other people's money just to keep the money that we earned

How idiotic is that? What profession doesnt.

9 ER":2a3s2q7b said:
All I'm saying is those who use the system(govt help....federal, state, or local ) should not criticize others that try.

We do not ask for other people's money just to keep the money that we earned

How idiotic is that? What profession doesnt.

Those that don't need to shouln't.

Scotty

Those that don't need to shouln't
Thats a good point. Does Todd or Craig or any other person who ripped Earl really need the exemptions? If not, then why take it? Because its available and keeps money in their pockets would be my guess. No difference in Earl looking for a grant because they might be available and it will keep money in her pocket.

Some dont think that there is any difference. Some do

Earl was taking a beating and will probable be afraid to post anything again. I dont mind getting ripped. I'm a coach. I get yelled at about my decisions and opionions all the time.

9 ER":mb0yuhqm said:
Those that don't need to shouln't
Thats a good point. Does Todd or Craig or any other person who ripped Earl really need the exemptions? If not, then why take it? Because its available and keeps money in their pockets would be my guess. No difference in Earl looking for a grant because they might be available and it will keep money in her pocket.

Some dont think that there is any difference. Some do

Earl was taking a beating and will probable be afraid to post anything again. I dont mind getting ripped. I'm a coach. I get yelled at about my decisions and opionions all the time.

Just can't stand the fact that the Gov. doesn't have all my money can you.

It is very different. I am keeping as much of my earned money as I can. Earl is asking for money that she did not earn and was taken from people like me.

Looks like a good liberal,conservative discussion.
Some earn some take away. Few more liberal cattlemen won't be anybody left to raise stock be to busy trying to get grants to hire someone to do it for them.

Poor money managers way in.

9 ER":3dthh3ah said:
I'm a coach.

Now I see why you have a problem with property tax exemptions. What is the matter, want a new stadium?
How is this, I have to pay property tax to fund the local school system even though my wife and I home school our children. I pay for all our learning material out of my pocket. But my children will be better off for it. At least my children will be taught to be self sufficient. If there was a voucher system I could decide as to whether or not I wanted to receive the voucher.

Caustic Burno":2s92wslk said:
Looks like a good liberal,conservative discussion.
Some earn some take away. Few more liberal cattlemen won't be anybody left to raise stock be to busy trying to get grants to hire someone to do it for them.

Poor money managers way in.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a liberal cattle farmer?!? That's an oxymoron isn't it.

I thought all farmers were conservative? At least the ones that have been farming very long anyways. All the ones I know are, and that's quite a few. :D

Latest posts