Grain solution.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardnosecattleco

Reaction score
I recently acquired a ton of 36% protein pellets from one of the local feed Mills. I have been cutting it in half with flaked corn. But am wanting to see if I should be doing something different not wanting to ruin the condition of my cow. I was previously feeding a show beef formula was like 20% protein 13% fat. Trying to make something similar to that. I couldn't say no to 2000 pounds of pellets for free.

Posted this link on another thread, it may be of interest to you -
https://www.beefresearch.ca/research-topic.cfm/acidosis-63

And you do not need to pay for FLAKED CORN!! :shock:
Whole shell corn will work perfect. Yes, you will see more corn in the manure - No, you are not losing food value (possibly lose 8% - but price difference more than covers this).
Why are you feeding your cows? "I was previously feeding a show beef formula was like 20% protein 13% fat."

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
And you do not need to pay for FLAKED CORN!! :shock:
Whole shell corn will work perfect. Yes, you will see more corn in the manure - No, you are not losing food value (possibly lose 8% - but price difference more than covers this).
Why are you feeding your cows? "I was previously feeding a show beef formula was like 20% protein 13% fat."
Not sure I understand what u mean when u ask "why are you feeding your cows?".

Feeding bout grain there alot easier on the pasture so it doesn't get run down and they come when I call to grain them that right there is majority why I grain year round even if it's not much

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Why are you feeding your cows anything other than grass in the summer and hay in the winter? Cows should not need GRAIN.

Although I agree with your comment, we all have different situations that require feeding grain to our cattle in summer and winter. Being in the south (Georgia), our summers are very unpredictable. Four years ago, we had NO rain from May through August (and I do mean none). Then, when we got some rain and the grass greened back, we were infested with army worms. Many farmers were feeding hay that was extremely poor quality. Farmers chose to supplement with feed to maintain body condition and hope to keep their cattle versus selling at a low price. This year, parts of the area I live in are in a drought again and farmers have begun feeding hay. With that, grain supplement is also chosen.

Many farmers like to feed a little grain occasionally to get their cattle up so they can get a closer look at their cows and make sure all is OK primarily during calving season. And, I could go on with other reasons too.

In a perfect farming world, yes, cows should eat grass in the summer and hay in the winter and need no grain. However, we all have different reason or issues that require grain to be fed to our cattle. To each his on.

I totally understand different circumstances require different methods of "keeping them alive & happy". Happy cows is a good thing.
Feeding 20% protein with 13% fat seems excessive to me. Plain corn will supplement hay for your cowherd much cheaper. Sorry, I just look for the least cost involved in keeping my operation running with healthy cows.
Sometimes buying corn is a lot cheaper than buying hay. Just trying to help him save money if he is in a position that needs supplementing the cows.