GPS

Help Support CattleToday:

I use my GPS in my pu to do my day job and I call her Betty Sue. That makes her initials B S. Some times she is Betty Sue and other times when she is just BS.

Friday I took the afternoon and helped a friend by field cultivating so he could finish planting corn(it is really wet here) and his new tractor has GPS and I used it to field cultivate. The hardest part Is keeping my hands off the steering wheel. Other than that it is handy, gives you more time to watch the implement.

Hubby is determined to take my Jetta to th states this summer for holidays instead of flying. Pretty sure I will be using a trusty map and not the GPS ;)

chippie":f1kbrk4b said:
Take a GPS and a map & be sure that the GPS is updated.
They really are helpful when driving in cities.

X2, very good and lots of help in cities.

We took ours to Honolulu a few years ago, it was entertaining listening to the computer voice pronounce Hawaiian street names. Honolokialulu ave. :lol:

Several years ago I got a tomtom for both kids. They were teenagers at the time and i set an alarm for speed if they went over 5 miles per hour above speed limit. I set it as a mooing cow and did not tell anyone. I figured if it happen one of the kids would say something about it. It rocked on for maybe a year and I had forgotten about it. One day my wife came in and said. I used one of the tomtoms yesterday, how does it know there are cows on the side of the road. I thought for a second then busted out out laughing, she said everytime it would moo there were cows by the road. Me and the kids still bring this up from time to time. Yes, shes blond.

Alan":3nodmeh7 said:
We have a Garmen and like it fairly well. "Greta" is a big help when we travel to different cities, but she will lead us a stray in rural areas. I alway that they should make a GPS that the voice has some attitude, instead of saying "recalculating" should say something like "hey jerk! You missed your turn! One more time and I'm shutting down!"
Our TOMTOM has a programme that does that, it is two young Yorkshire lads talking to you and if you miss a turn it calls you a bam pot, and to turn the he!! around and try again. it can be quite funny on a long drive, as if you have a few straight miles to go, it will come in after a mile and say things like 'phew this is a long drive' or 'not made that mile yet' it can elevate the boredom.

You have to remember it's a device and not infallible, sometimes you need to shut it off and think for yourself. But I think there are times when they are invaluable. Garmin saved me on one particular trip. It was a small town just over the New Mexico border from the Texas panhandle. But by golly they have an airport there and I agreed to give someone a ride to catch a 5 am flight. It was dark, the terrain is flat and all looks alike, and there were a bunch of lefts and rights between the motel and the airport. We could follow signs to get to the airport, but getting back - well I would have been wandering around New Mexico at least until daylight if not for the GPS.

I have garmin nuvi and a garmin off road cs76....both are old....
sure they can screw up some times...but not much in life is 100%....
all in all I would rather have them than not have a clue where I am.....
I call the one in the truck Dorothy....the off road does not talk so it does not get a name....but it has topo maps and I use it to record where we ride the horses....also know the distance we ride on any given day....

Latest posts