GPS directions

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I use a GPS a lot traveling. Sometimes it sure takes me in some weird places.
Any suggestions on an app to download that keeps me on good roads?
Also how about some tales of where one has taken you.

Going from Prineville Oregon to Hermiston Oregon GPS had me turn on a dirt road, F-450 pulling 8ft x18ft deckover trailer. 40 miles and several hundred sheep and tire chewing stock dogs we got through it!! Had to use 4-wheel 2x. Hahaha

When my daughter moved to Montana I used my standard road atlas and a little that I got from the daughter. I also had my son's GPS. I drove right to it. Had I followed the GPS I would still be driving east. People who follow their GPS to my place always drive right on past my driveway. Some miss by half a mile and some by as much as 5 miles. And there is no cell service passed my place. It is amazing how lost people are with no cell service.

I like Karen best on my TomTom. The one giving directions on my first GPS was a real bitch, worst than having my wife next to me. If I made a wrong turn wouldn't she get up me, do a Uturn, do a Uturn, do a Uturn, just wouldn't let up and not saying it nicely either. I used to make sure I didn't make any wrong turns, I just couldn't stand listening to her bitching.

Ken

I try to study a road atlas before the trip along with the GPS. The GPS will take you on some wild journeys through the middle of nowhere, but you will get there eventually. It got me in a subdivision once and I know I passed the same house at least five times.

Not sure on what app would work best but I bet there might be one that truckers use?
A few years ago me and my dad went to Greenville to buy some ear corn. I had a 24' gooseneck with two gravity wagons on it. We got to the farm where we was buying it just fine. We loaded up and went to leave and the gps told us to turn a different way than we had came in. We ended up on a small one line road that turned into a dirt road with two places where we had to cross through a creek running across the road. We though at anytime the road was going to end with no way to turn around and we was going to have to back back out. But when we finally got to the end we came out on the hwy. It was probably shorter to go that way but not good with a long trailer that barely made it around the curves.

Only time I really find a GPS helpful is when you get to those stupid interchanges where it looks like 2 major roads meet but they don't quite. Oh and in the state of Ohio because their road system makes no sense. Otherwise like most electronics it will make you cuss. They make one for truckers, the regular one will get you hung up if you pull big trailers a lot. You will get pretty good at backing and or turning them around in tight spots though.

Google Maps is my go to...but on trips I'm unfamiliar with I get on a computer and look carefully at the routes it wants to send me on. If you've got it set on the shortest route...be ready to hit some dirt roads. If you've got it set on fastest route....be prepared to drive more miles but at a faster rate of speed and in traffic through cities you really don't need to be in.

I'm beginning to think that the interstates and other roads are more congested these days because gps is putting them all on the major roads and everyone let's them because they haven't taken the time to look at where it's taking them. Our sons are the worst. They never know where they are on trips. All they can tell you is the calculated arrival time the gps tells them.

wife kinda thinks I'm loosing it. Sometimes I'll run both Google maps and the navigation on the Tahoe with the alerts turned off. Easier to keep an eye on Google and where it's taking me and it's kinda entertaining to watch the Tahoe nav go nuts when you go a different way.

Latest posts