Handheld gps

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
I was looking for a handheld GPS to mark certain features, boundaries and what not
I was also wanting to do some mapping for cross fencing and water sources and etc
In my research I came across a free app called commander compass lite in the App Store
Its a free app and has done everything I've needed so far
It saved me from buying GPS and since its on my phone I have it handy at all times and not something else I have to keep up with or keep batteries in
I thought someone else might find it handy

Gawd, everyone is telling me where to go and when to come, do I really need this on my phone??

Spose so!!!

I have something similar. I don't know why anyone would buy a handheld GPS anymore, for stuff like this.

I didn't have a smart phone for a long time and didn't think I needed one, but now I do and after all it ain't to bad.

I thought all internet cowboys had that app?

You're losing credibility. If you like to buy more, just send me your credit card number and expiration date and I can get you a menu to choose your desired amount.

cross_7":o040uf99 said:
I was looking for a handheld GPS to mark certain features, boundaries and what not
I was also wanting to do some mapping for cross fencing and water sources and etc
In my research I came across a free app called commander compass lite in the App Store
It saved me from buying GPS and since its on my phone I have it handy at all times and not something else I have to keep up with or keep batteries in

Awesome for you - as long as you have telephone service.

Question - I assume you still need cleeular service to make this app work?

In my part of the world you have to drive about 10 miles from my house to get solid cellular connection.

Hopefully that will change but we still use the old fashioned radio to communicate with folks on equipment or out in the field right now.

I am so cheap I still use a compass. Laugh, but I have been out and about and had no batteries - sucks when they die and you are 20 miles from a plug-in.

Bez

snake67":3ng25n4j said:
cross_7":3ng25n4j said:

Awesome for you - as long as you have telephone service.

Question - I assume you still need cleeular service to make this app work?

In my part of the world you have to drive about 10 miles from my house to get solid cellular connection.

Hopefully that will change but we still use the old fashioned radio to communicate with folks on equipment or out in the field right now.

I am so cheap I still use a compass. Laugh, but I have been out and about and had no batteries - sucks when they die and you are 20 miles from a plug-in.

Bez
I'm sure there are alot of places like that. But around here there's just not really anywhere I have been that doesn't have decent cell service. Your right about the batterie thing, my phone won't stay on for more than about 8 hours at the most, if I use it very much. They make a thing smaller than a phone that will re charge it a couple times, I don't have one but I have heard they work pretty good.

The hand held jobs can throw you for a loop as well if you are not careful.

Was up in the Rockies hunting with a buddy. He looked at a topo map and decided he wanted to take a trail around a mountain over to a spot to hunt the next morning. The lines were really close together on the back side, and I told him it wasn't a good idea. After a bit of discussion, we didn't come to a consensus so he was going to go his way, and I was going to take the longer route and climb up and over. Long story short, on the way back to camp that evening, I saw him walking in a water way below toward camp- probably a mile out. I finally hit a trail and made it back to camp. He should have beat me there, but his dad who'd busted up his ribs the first day hadn't seen him. I saw elk between he and I on the way in, so I thought maybe he was watching them or something. A short bit later we see this lantern making it's way to the top of the mountain behind us, through the thickest group of fallen dead pines you'll ever come across. We watched that poor soul, whoever he was, fighting his way through it while warming ourselves by the fire. When the lantern got to about 3/4 of the way to the top, it stopped and started back down in our direction.

His GPS apparently didn't have a good satellite signal, so during his trip back to camp, it somehow had it marked way up the mountain side behind us. :lol2: It wasn't until he just about got there, that it re-calculated and sent him back in the right direction. He was probably within 200 yrds when he went by the first time.

I knew better than to harass him when he finally made it in. But the next morning, he didn't say a thing other than, where are we going? :lol2:

Latest posts