Got some I'm starting!

Help Support CattleToday:

They don't look thrilled about the idea, but don't look freaked either.. I haven't done much this summer on the halter breaking front.. maybe in a couple months after weaning I'll have a couple relearn the deal (they were haltered at a month old for a while)

Keep posting your progress, I tied up 2 of my heifers for first time on Sunday and again today. I am a novice at this so will be interested in your progress.

Ken

I understand why you're doing this. But how do you go about it? Tie them up for a bit. Use treats and get them used to you? I'd like to know how from someone who is doing it.

I personally, have never showed cattle. But, some very good friends of mine who have a daughter who has won a ton of shows offered to show them for me, if I paid for everything. I'm hoping that this will help me get my name out there about my registered cattle. I try and be there every evening to do what I can to help and learn. I pulled them off mamma and took them there where we worked them and put halters on in the chute then wrestled them to a tie up spot and let them stand for a couple hours then went to them and started petting them some. Unfortunately, the bull in the first picture kicked something and injured his left rear foot. So, for now we took his halter off so he could heal. But, it's been only 3 days and with a stick they can grab their rope and with someone walking behind they are being lead! They we're naturally pretty quiet to start with. In case anyone was wondering left to right in first picture= PB Gelbvieh bull, PB Gelbvieh heifer and 50/50 Balancer heifer. Second picture= 50/50 Balancer bull. Pretty interesting. B&G

I halter broke a Brahman bull calf once,,thought I'd get him where I could handle him and show off a bit...I soon decided he could breed cows without my help... :lol2:

Latest posts