Got plowed...

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Got several inches of snow overnight. A 45 minute trip to work this morning, took twice as long and a whole pot of coffee.

Make it safely to work. Parked my car (2018 Jeep Cherokee) and the plow comes by and PLOWS my car. Not bury me in snow, literally plowed it.

I am HOTTER than Haiti's when I realize what happened. As soon as the gentleman rounded the vehicle, I realize it is an old man, who I've met before and is always as sweet and kind as can be. I went from 60-0 in no time flat.

When I do leave here today, I get to go home and work cattle. We are freeze branding 40 head and doing Cidrs on another group 60+ head. So I'll save my frustrations for when all of them start getting hot headed too and we'll just have a jolly ol' time. :cboy:

Years ago I was driving over to Yakima to look at a horse. Up over White Pass. There was six inches or so of snow. I got down the other side by Rimrock Lake where the road flattens out and the snow there had turned to slush. I pulled over in a big wide spot for some reason. I had been there for a couple minutes and went to get out. My feet no more than hit the ground and a snow plow came by at a fairly high rate of speed. He covered me and filled the inside of my pickup with a wall of slush. Apparently I should have looked in my mirror before opening the door.

I really didn't know what to expect when I came in here ----- a cowboy's wife tells everyone she got plowed. Only so many ways for me to process that and winter weather was not one of them.

Aaron said:
I really didn't know what to expect when I came in here ----- a cowboy's wife tells everyone she got plowed. Only so many ways for me to process that and winter weather was not one of them.
Same here........ :hide:

Named'em Tamed'em said:
Just don't take it out on your Hubby when you get home! :)

Dang the luck!

He'd have been the first one subject to my wrath. But he so kindly messaged me and apologized for being such a jerk this morning. Smart man.

Bet by 3PM, we're all just drinking beer and staring at heifers.

Aaron said:

I like attention grabbing headlines. :cowboy:

Misery loves company. I backed my Jeep into my pickup two weeks ago. Not paying attention. The tailgate opens and closes just fine on the jeep and it's impossible to hurt my cannonball bale bed but I sure felt stupid. Sorry about yours.

Question on your freeze branding? Did you use liquid nitrogen or dry ice? If you used dry ice, how long did you keep the irons on? I've freeze branded for years with varying levels of success. Last couple of years, I've used liquid N because it was less expensive and quicker but now it's more expensive than dry ice. My brands last year, using liquidN, aren't very readable and we held them on a few seconds longer than recommended. 28 seconds to be exact. I have 30 heifers to do and think I'll try dry ice.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Misery loves company. I backed my Jeep into my pickup two weeks ago. Not paying attention. The tailgate opens and closes just fine on the jeep and it's impossible to hurt my cannonball bale bed but I sure felt stupid. Sorry about yours.

Question on your freeze branding? Did you use liquid nitrogen or dry ice? If you used dry ice, how long did you keep the irons on? I've freeze branded for years with varying levels of success. Last couple of years, I've used liquid N because it was less expensive and quicker but now it's more expensive than dry ice. My brands last year, using liquidN, aren't very readable and we held them on a few seconds longer than recommended. 28 seconds to be exact. I have 30 heifers to do and think I'll try dry ice.

We use dry ice and we actually go for 90 seconds. Last year was the first time we had went that long. Prior years, when we had the vet do it, they didn't go but 60 I believe. We were happy with the results but felt they weren't as clean (not as bright and a lot of hair that isn't pure). We opted to buy the brands last year and do it ourselves. Upon another recommendation, we held them longer when we did it. Our 1700's are very bright and easy to see.

Interested though in the liquid N. Does that keep longer by chance? It is so difficult to hunt down dry ice here. Can actually get it for free from grocery stores when they get deliveries but they don't have the quantities you need during the colder months since those trucks don't need to keep up with the temp as hard.

I switched to LN because of what you said. A local grocery store sells dry ice for $2.99 a pound. I've been all set to brand and they were out. I found a couple of LN tanks through my ABS rep. He knew these tanks were close to failing. I bought them for like $20 apiece. They'll hold for awhile but not long enough to maintain semen. The last time I had one filled was right at a year ago and it cost $75 to fill one. Regulations are in effect now and if I'm in the Jeep or a passenger car, they won't fill the tank. It has to be transported in the back of a pickup or similar vehicle.
Last years brands aren't as good as I'd hoped. It was March 21. Hair was clipped and hide was soaked with 99.9% alcohol. Wind was out of the southwest at 10mph. Ambient air temp was 65 degrees. We used LN, kept the irons on 27-28 seconds.
I've read that freeze branding needs to be done on the coldest day of the year. Hair needs to be actively growing.
I own my brand on both shoulders. If I hot iron my brand on the shoulder it distorts as the animal ages and becomes something completely unrecognizable.
I'm having trouble finding the right number of seconds to hold the iron on the hide with LN. Otherwise, it's a lot faster than dry ice.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
I switched to LN because of what you said. A local grocery store sells dry ice for $2.99 a pound. I've been all set to brand and they were out. I found a couple of LN tanks through my ABS rep. He knew these tanks were close to failing. I bought them for like $20 apiece. They'll hold for awhile but not long enough to maintain semen. The last time I had one filled was right at a year ago and it cost $75 to fill one. Regulations are in effect now and if I'm in the Jeep or a passenger car, they won't fill the tank. It has to be transported in the back of a pickup or similar vehicle.
Last years brands aren't as good as I'd hoped. It was March 21. Hair was clipped and hide was soaked with 99.9% alcohol. Wind was out of the southwest at 10mph. Ambient air temp was 65 degrees. We used LN, kept the irons on 27-28 seconds.
I've read that freeze branding needs to be done on the coldest day of the year. Hair needs to be actively growing.
I own my brand on both shoulders. If I hot iron my brand on the shoulder it distorts as the animal ages and becomes something completely unrecognizable.
I'm having trouble finding the right number of seconds to hold the iron on the hide with LN. Otherwise, it's a lot faster than dry ice.

I called several stores today trying to hunt some down in a fairly large city since I was close for work. Notta. Googled it and happened upon a place that sells it by the brick. Got it for $1 per pound! I told my husband that was far less than Hy-Vee charged me and that I won't get it anywhere else going forward. That stuff was solid. Not the bagged up stuff that's half gone by the time it's sold.

It's a one time a year event and we always end up on the coldest day. Thankfully they all know I get cranky when I'm cold and pulled the nemco out. I melted my gloves today. Lol.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
https://brand-a-bull.com/?utm_source=web&utm_medium=ShoofNZ&utm_campaign=brandabull

That is interesting but we hit all numbers at once. You'd be forever working all your cattle. Wouldn't be bad for a brand. But numbers would be painstakingly slow.

I put my registered brand on the left shoulder and a number designating their birth year on the left hip. This year, the heifers will have an 18 on their hip. I don't do their in-herd number because I don't have the extra help. I try to make the freeze brands unique. It's self-defense against a neighbor who believes if an animal gets on his side of the fence, it belongs to him.

Latest posts