Got Milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

BTRANCH

Reaction score
Here is proof bag size does not determine milk production. This momma's bag could be described on the smaller side, but as you can see, this baby is getting all she needs.

Gotta love those Beefmaster Mommas!!

nursing_baby.jpg

BTRANCH":ulrfji6i said:
Here is proof bag size does not determine milk production. This momma's bag could be described on the smaller side, but as you can see, this baby is getting all she needs.

Gotta love those Beefmaster Mommas!!

nursing_baby.jpg
i agree to a degree...but under a different circumstance with a terminal calf. say like a char cross. could tell another storey.but her being a beefmaster shes probably a adeqate milker most are.

IMHO, the volume of milk is not as important as the butterfat and solids contained within the milk.

Composition of milk has been suggested as an important source of variation in calf performance.
Christian et al. (1965) observed that total butterfat and solids-not-fat accounted for more of the
variability in weaning weight and preweaning gain than total milk intake during this period

A cow usually hits her peak milk production at or near her first estrus period postpartum. This generally coincides with the calfs rumen being able to digest feeds/forage more efficiently.

The same research quoted above says that at 44 days of age a calf is receiving 86% of it's total nutrients from milk but only about 10% at weaning.

Not much need for those huge uddered cows in the beef business. My 2 cents................

Those higher milk producing mammas cost more to feed and to keep in decent condition for rebreeding.

Let's say a Beefmaster mamma that weighs 1300 lbs vs an Angus mamma that weighs 1000 lbs.

Beefmaster mamma will eat 40 lbs of forage/day Angus mamma will eat 30 lbs of forage/day
Beefmaster mamma consumes 8200 lbs in 205 days Angus mamma consumes 6150 lbs in 205 days
Beefmaster mamma weans a 600 lb steer Angus mamma weans a 550 lb steer
600 x .95 = $570 550 x 1.06 = $583

If a ton of grass costs $100 then the Beefmaster cow If a ton of grass costs $100 then the Angus cow
costs you $410.00 to feed her for those 205 days costs you $307.50.

Do the Math!
Angus---The Business Breed

Which cow just made you the most money? Duh!

Let's say a Beefmaster mamma that weighs 1300 lbs vs an Angus mamma that weighs 1000 lbs

I want to see that 1,000 Angus cow that will wean a 550 calf :eek:

I have always admired women who put their rescources towards taking care of their kids first before they worry about what they look like. :)

simangus23":2jscc8lu said:
Those higher milk producing mammas cost more to feed and to keep in decent condition for rebreeding.

Let's say a Beefmaster mamma that weighs 1300 lbs vs an Angus mamma that weighs 1000 lbs.

Beefmaster mamma will eat 40 lbs of forage/day Angus mamma will eat 30 lbs of forage/day
Beefmaster mamma consumes 8200 lbs in 205 days Angus mamma consumes 6150 lbs in 205 days
Beefmaster mamma weans a 600 lb steer Angus mamma weans a 550 lb steer
600 x .95 = $570 550 x 1.06 = $583

If a ton of grass costs $100 then the Beefmaster cow If a ton of grass costs $100 then the Angus cow
costs you $410.00 to feed her for those 205 days costs you $307.50.

Do the Math!
Angus---The Business Breed

Which cow just made you the most money? Duh!
you can mix and match number's to suit any argument. too many variable in your figure's a 1000 pnd angus in south texas would have to be above average milker to get a 550 weight and maintain condition..plus i aint in texas but my steer calves will be 7+ weight..... keep in mind im running a angus bull at the moment.

You guys are still living in a bubble I guess ---- There are plenty of Angus cows out there that weigh in at 1000 lbs and wean 550 lb calves yearly ----- That is just an average............ These smaller cows cost less to maintain and make you more money in beef lbs per acre. It's just that simple. These steers finish at a lower weight due to a smaller frame. It's ok with me if you want to continue to take it in the shorts for those Brahman influenced cattle--- they just dont perform in the feedlot like the Angus and the baldies do--- never will

simangus23":15ckub3z said:
You guys are still living in a bubble I guess ---- There are plenty of Angus cows out there that weigh in at 1000 lbs and wean 550 lb calves yearly ----- That is just an average............ These smaller cows cost less to maintain and make you more money in beef lbs per acre. It's just that simple. These steers finish at a lower weight due to a smaller frame. It's ok with me if you want to continue to take it in the shorts for those Brahman influenced cattle--- they just dont perform in the feedlot like the Angus and the baldies do--- never will

Do you have any pictures of these 1000 lb Angus cows that wean a 550 lb calf?

simangus23":1flbrzmf said:
You guys are still living in a bubble I guess ---- There are plenty of Angus cows out there that weigh in at 1000 lbs and wean 550 lb calves yearly ----- That is just an average............ These smaller cows cost less to maintain and make you more money in beef lbs per acre. It's just that simple. These steers finish at a lower weight due to a smaller frame.
  • >>It's ok with me if you want to continue to take it in the shorts<<
for those Brahman influenced cattle--- they just dont perform in the feedlot like the Angus and the baldies do--- never will
well thats mighty neighborly of you. ..and thanks for telling us what cattle too run.we get that on here from time to time. folks a come on here telling you, your raising the wrong cattle and what type they should be.. but my 7+ weight angus sired calve's....and a couple charolias.... thanks to my neighbors rouge.. brought a dollar are a few cents shy a pound. this past year...by the way i dont wear short's what with the manure and all.

that 550 was just an average sparky -- have you ever retained ownership on these fantastic cattle you are raising over in Bama>?
If not why dont you try it sometime and come back and tell me what they did in the stocker operation for gain and what they did in the feedyard for gain and feed conversions -- then bring me some data on your quality grades and YG-- then we can talk again--- you got alot of work to do yet Sparky...............

simangus23":1nk1xhuh said:
that 550 was just an average sparky -- have you ever retained ownership on these fantastic cattle you are raising over in Bama>?
If not why dont you try it sometime and come back and tell me what they did in the stocker operation for gain and what they did in the feedyard for gain and feed conversions -- then bring me some data on your quality grades and YG-- then we can talk again--- you got alot of work to do yet Sparky...............

Who's Sparky? Do you have any pics of these 1000 lb Angus cows and there 550 lb calves?

Jovid":17zxczee said:
simangus23":17zxczee said:

• Who's Sparky?
Do you have any pics of these 1000 lb Angus cows and there 550 lb calves?
that would be me :cowboy: im sparky. gotta problem with it :p

Latest posts