Got meat back from butcher.

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
I'm not sure what she weighed going in but I'm sure she was over 1000 lbs. She was 625 lb hanging weight. we got:
HB 84 lbs
T-bone 12 @ 1.34 lbs
Round steak 29 @ 2.40 lbs
Roast 18 @ 5 lbs
Brisket 4 @ 7 lbs
Ribs 9 @ 2 lbs
Ribeye 12 @ 1.34 lbs
Sirloin 18 @ 2.5 lbs
Stew 6 @ 1 lb
Liver 6 @ 1 lb
Heart 1 @ 1 lb
Soup bones 5 @ 2 lbs
for a total of 391.20 lbs

Does this seem right? I thought we would get more then 12 Ribeyes and 12 T-bones?

Yes that is about right. You got any were from 12 to 14 ribeyes out of a ribeye roll depending on how they are cut. We use to cut them any where from a 1" to 1.25" thick.

from most reports i have seen, you just have to remember 60 - 62%

hanging weight = 60 - 62% of live weight

1040 * .60 = 624 lb
1040 * .62 = 645 lb

packaged weight = 60 - 62% of hanging weight

624 * .60 = 374.4 lb
645 * .62 = 400 lb

IMO the weights were fairly close.
Here is what we expect from one of our steers. We slaughter at over 1200# and at around 18 months alot depends on the animal, last two were 1410# and 1235# on the hoof.
Steaks cut 1" and right at 1# depending on the animal.
26-28 rib steaks
26-28 T-Bone
8 Porter House
2 Tenderloin
The sirloin and round yield depends on how the roasts are cut
We have four chuck roasts, four arm roasts eight chuck steaks cut and grind the rest.
Hope that this helps. DMc

Seems light in the ground beef area to me. I usually get at least 35% ground beef. I think our smallest yield was 415lbs take home from 1000 lb animal not including liver, heart, and tounge. Mine are 15 month fedout Red Angus steers. What was her history?

Sidney, just curious, did you have to tally all the different cuts yourself, or did they give you a sheet with the number of this and that?

I guess the number of steaks depends upon how thick you cut them. The important thing: have you tried it yet and is it GOOD?

I hope I never have to buy meat at the grocery store again! It's so nice to go to our (little, ha ha) freezer and take out something I know will be good (even though I occasionally have to dismiss a vision of the steer running over to me for his dinner, aaaacccckkkk!)

I got my first beef back from the butcher yesterday and I must say,,,,,Wal-Mart will never sell me any beef again. I am very pleased with how it turned out, the marbling in the ribeye was fantastic and I do believe you could cut it with a fork.

I used a bag feed (Auburn Bull Test Feed) and added soy hull pellets, I worked up to 25lbs of feed per day and fed him 3 times a day. I think the steer turned out pretty good, he was around 1000 lbs live weight and hung 550lbs and we got about 410 lbs of wrapped meat. I only want the butcher to do more trim work on the steaks next time for a few friends (customers) on the next 2 steers. This will cost a few cents more per pound.

BEEF,,,thats what's for DINNER

CB,,,,that Tiger was mighty fine eating.

Doesn't the amount of rib eyes depend on the size of the rib eye area? and the thickness that they are cut?

For instance: 3 steers: 1300#+ had a 9.5 rib eye area
1200#+ had a 9.5 rib eye area
1068# had a 13.5 rib eye area
when they were ultrasounded.

What's kinda funny if we would have eaten one, we would have sent the biggest by weight to the butcher.

mom

She was a 28 mth old PB hereford we raised. She had a calf, but didn't have any milk come in at all. Vet said there was only a 50% chance she would ever milk so we decided to butcher her instead of take the chance again. She was fed a small amount of grain from weaning to butcher, and free choice hay, and grazing - nothing special and we didn't really feed her out like you would a butcher steer.

We haven't eaten any of it, we have it pretty much all sold. If there's any left we will eat that, money is more important out of her right now since we have no income out of her and 2 yrs lost profit.

I tallied the list myself so we would know what we had to sell. My goal was to make $1000 off the cow. It cost $300 for the processing, and if we sell all the meat it will turn out that we will make about $700 on the cow. I don't know if she would have brought more then that at auction?

I tallied the list myself so we would know what we had to sell. My goal was to make $1000 off the cow. It cost $300 for the processing, and if we sell all the meat it will turn out that we will make about $700 on the cow. I don't know if she would have brought more then that at auction?
A naked, open cow, I doubt it.

Sidney, not to change the subject on your thread........ but.....

Happy Jack Milkade (yes its for dogs but I've tried it on cows now and it works) will bring in/increase their milk........
The ingredients in this according to the bottle are:

Sodium Acetate, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Gluconate, Lactose and Thiamine Hydrochloride
(minimum guaranteed analysis: Thiamine Hydrochloride 3%)

I don't know why the mineral companies can't come up with a decent mineral for lactating and breeding season (seems like we have a season for everything else).

Also, doesn't the $300 for processing sounds high to me as last year I paid $135.00 for 280 pounds of meat.

We tried oxy on her and nothing. The processing was $25 kill fee and $0.43 per lb hanging weight. The other processer in the area charges $25 kill and $0.45 per lb hanging. I guess it's cheaper in other parts of the country.

sidney411":2r43p1d0 said:
I'm not sure what she weighed going in but I'm sure she was over 1000 lbs. She was 625 lb hanging weight. we got:
HB 84 lbs
T-bone 12 @ 1.34 lbs
Round steak 29 @ 2.40 lbs
Roast 18 @ 5 lbs
Brisket 4 @ 7 lbs
Ribs 9 @ 2 lbs
Ribeye 12 @ 1.34 lbs
Sirloin 18 @ 2.5 lbs
Stew 6 @ 1 lb
Liver 6 @ 1 lb
Heart 1 @ 1 lb
Soup bones 5 @ 2 lbs
for a total of 391.20 lbs

Does this seem right? I thought we would get more then 12 Ribeyes and 12 T-bones?

I got July back yesterday. Little over 400 pounds. We got two freezers full. I didn't get as many steaks this time. Lots of roast. We like our roasts around here. And tons of burger, as usual. We actually ran out of burger last time, though. I was suprised at that.

sidney411":2mibo250 said:
The processing was $25 kill fee and $0.43 per lb hanging weight. The other processer in the area charges $25 kill and $0.45 per lb hanging. I guess it's cheaper in other parts of the country.

The processor I used costs $0.49 per lb hanging for freezer wrap or $0.59 per lb vacuum pack. That includes the price to kill. They want proof of age (for under 30 months). They will take 30 months or older, but it costs way more to have one of them processed and you will not get T-bones, or Porterhouse or anything involving the spine. It is a facility with a USDA inspector.

Katherine

Latest posts