Got hay in the barn (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Well, it was an exciting time the last week. Greased up everything and started baling last Thursday. All went pretty well other than the old 285 wanted to run hot and loose power so it slowed me down. Friday started ok then had a baler fire. Brand new fire extinguisher didn't work. Dumped the bale. Inspected the baler and figured it must have been a stick that rubbed something. Started again and another baler fire. This one almost got away from me due to the wind. It tried to burn up all I had cut but I managed to get it out. Back to the barn.

Found floor chain rubbing a stripper. Replaced two floor chains that didn't look good. Finished that field with no more fires.

Saturday I started baling another field and got about 1/3 done and lost an apron chain gear bearing. Of all the bearings I had, none would work. Tractor supply 31 miles away had 1. Made it there and back in under an hour. Practically had to disassemble the baler to change it. Got it changed and started again Sunday. Got most all of mine up and figured to get the rest Monday and bale the neighbors for him. Baled six bales and both apron chains broke. Spent the rest of the day looking for a contract baler to do the neighbors. Found one and got all his in the next day. Boy it must be nice to be able to bale that fast! My old stuff just won't go that fast.

Lost water pump on the Ford with the FEL.

I have ordered new apron chains ($850), and all new bearings, two gears, some strippers, and some springs ($500). Plan to just do it all while it is apart. Got one field I want to cut but it appears there may be frost on the pumpkin before I get the parts and get them in.

Here is the aftermath.

BaleFire3sized.jpg

Bale2Fire3sized.jpg

BaleFire4sized.jpg

Man-O-Man, you are just one heck of a lucky dude. How much are you selling the burned up bales for?

Billy

After all those problems, it was very noble of you to see that the neighbor's hay got baled too, she must be very nice!

man that is no fun.baler fires will kill you.your lucky you got the fires put out.your going tobe busy overhauling that baler.baler break downs make you sick.

gberry":29ls1i90 said:
You ever just think about buying hay?

Yeah thought about it. Didn't think too long though. Been doing it too many years to give up now. When you use a 80's model baler, you gotta expect problems. I knew it was just a matter of time. Now I have all the parts on order to put her back in shape.

Cabo":hvbgkng8 said:
After all those problems, it was very noble of you to see that the neighbor's hay got baled too, she must be very nice!

He, is a good friend.

flaboy":377jwo9l said:
Cabo":377jwo9l said:

He, is a good friend.

I was going to say that she must be good looking, but now I see she's a he! :shock: :shock: :shock: Starting to wonder if the heat's done got to flaboy.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2ris6est said:
flaboy":2ris6est said:
Cabo":2ris6est said:

He, is a good friend.

I was going to say that she must be good looking, but now I see she's a he! :shock: :shock: :shock: Starting to wonder if the heat's done got to flaboy.

cfpinz

FRIEND! What part of that don't you understand? :lol:

That's the way all the good ones start out "FRIENDS"!
Then one day you and HER are out there 'loading hay' and the sun gets in her eyes (just enough to block some of the ugly from flaboy) and the next thing you know....to be continued...

Bullbuyer":39cd0kdo said:
Then one day you and HER are out there 'loading hay' and the sun gets in her eyes (just enough to block some of the ugly from flaboy) and the next thing you know....to be continued...

Ain't no ugly left in this boy. Heck even my female skin doctor says she wants me to git nekkid for her. :lol:

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Glad you got the bale kicked out before it burnt something more valuable. Also admire your staying with your friend's until it was done. Some folks wouldn't have done this - friend or no friend. Hats off to you.

I am still limping along with an old JD 510 roller but the price of a good JD 435 is looking better all the time. One good roller fire with a lost roller and tractor and a field of hay would pay for it. I think I will dedicate this winter to find a good 435. I wonder if I can get a good one for less that $5000.00?

alabama":3jrvfkt5 said:
I am still limping along with an old JD 510 roller but the price of a good JD 435 is looking better all the time. One good roller fire with a lost roller and tractor and a field of hay would pay for it. I think I will dedicate this winter to find a good 435. I wonder if I can get a good one for less that $5000.00?

That's why I am spending the money to go through and replace all the stuff that gives the problems like chains, rollers, and bearings. I figure it is money well spent as opposed to buying another used unit and not knowing what is weak in it. I will stay with what I know for now.

flaboy":2dxqjr6l said:
Bullbuyer":2dxqjr6l said:

Ain't no ugly left in this boy. Heck even my shemale skin doctor says s/he wants me to git nekkid for her. :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

cfpinz":3jxpocbb said:
flaboy":3jxpocbb said:
Bullbuyer":3jxpocbb said:

Ain't no ugly left in this boy. Heck even my shemale skin doctor says s/he wants me to git nekkid for her. :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah, keep it up joker and we won't let you buy no more junk trucks to play with. Then what ya going to do? :lol:

I sold my old baler a few years ago and bought a new green one with horns. Sure, it cost a lot of money, but when you have 100 acres of grass on the ground with rain coming, you can't afford to be broke.

The new one bales 6 times faster than the old one, and with netwrap, bales 2 times faster than ones using string. I would do it all over again. It's nice to bale and not be breaking something all of the time....

Angus/Brangus":3mnl1cvm said:
:lol2: A better picture than that baler!!!!

Will the baler be salvageable??

Oh yeah, I dumped the flaming bales out and doused the baler with water I carry on the tractor. Thanksgiving day I put 14 new bearings in said baler. The day after Thanksgiving I put a new water pump on one of my pre 80's tractors and put new apron chains on the baler and made all the adjustments. I plan to try to cut some more hay if I can get to it before the first forst down here. I want to check out my work too before next season.

I can usally do 10-12 5x6 bales an hour with this old relic. One of these days I will do a new baler though.

Latest posts