Got duped

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
It came to our attention that there was a homeless woman with her teen aged child in need of help. There they were without a penny sleeping in their car in the parking lot. My wife, the angel she is, told me we had to help them so to keep her happy I agreed and we put our heads together and came up with a plan. A few phone calls later and we had this woman a full time job and a really nice place to stay for six days free of charge till she would be able to get a place in gov't housing. Food was collected and stocked in the apartment with the intent that this would get them over the hump and the owner of the apartment even stocked it with junk food for the teenager so he would have something to snack on while his mom was at work.

People at her new job were briefed on the situation and they all welcomed her and even took up a collection for her and SHE asked if she could work as many hours as she could and this was acceptable to management even though it meant overtime wages. Management even gave her an advance on her pay.

First day on the job she did beautifully and everyone thought they had done a good thing and helped their fellow man. Second day she seemed to want to play on her phone more than she wanted to work even though phones use is prohibited except during breaks or lunch. Third day she didn't show up. Seems she found her accommodations too nice to leave.

Long story short, she is gone now. Learned she is actually homeless but this is her forte. Dragging her child around, sleeping in her car, playing on her phone and playing on the good will of others. I think its people like this who hurt the poor more than anyone ever could because many have been left with a bad taste in their mouth. You can try but you can't help some people. Some people are beyond help.

Will I help someone again. Yes. Most likely but I will say this, it would be wise for any panhandlers to give me a wide berth for a few weeks unless they want to see my bad side. Of course, maybe I'm just jealous because she has an obummer phone and I don't.

What you do to the least of these.....

Sometimes your charity helps Jesus, sometimes it helps the devil..we have no way of truly knowing.

We have been there and done that too. These days it is hard to know who really does need help or who is just using the system. But it is one of those things as kenny said, if you don't help and later find out that they really did need help it makes you feel bad. Those who try to cheat the system will get theirs. But the worst thing is what they are doing to their kids. You can only hope that the kids can see the wrong in taking advantage of people's good nature in trying to help and make better choices for themselves.

I agree. I will help again. Maybe not tomorrow. I normally do my homework but in this case it seemed important to act quick. In a weird way its bittersweet. Seeing so many give of themselves was a good but seeing so many being duped is bad. Its folks like this that hurt those who are truly in need. I believe in karma and with karma you don't get what you order but are served what you deserve and this isn't going to be a good thing for this girl when she's burns all her bridges.

We have a group here that has a phony letter that they are on the housing waiting list living out of their car. They had worked about half the churches in town pulling basically the same scam Jo.
Law got to investigating and they found out they just moved from town to town pulling it over and over. We no longer give money we will put you up in a hotel and buy some food amazing how many are not interested with no money involved.

We get a few people in the summer time stop in the hotel looking for a free room. Mostly young men with a pack on their back walking across the country for some reason. We usually offer them a shower and some food, but not a free room. One guy said he didn't need a shower or food but could he just have some cash? :roll:

millstreaminn":282an3z2 said:
We get a few people in the summer time stop in the hotel looking for a free room. Mostly young men with a pack on their back walking across the country for some reason. We usually offer them a shower and some food, but not a free room. One guy said he didn't need a shower or food but could he just have some cash? :roll:
I would have told him sure! Here's the work I need done for the pay you will get.

A few months ago, I was on craigslist and a particular help ad caught my attention I communicated with the lady and she had a believable story of being out of work no food in the house and her kids had nothing to eat. I thought I vetted it pretty good. I went to the grocery store and bought a couple hundred dollars worth of food and took it to her house. when I arrived Her Kids came to help get the groceries , They were full grown kids and even though she was sincere with her thank yous , I told her that I was glad to help but if she wanted to really help them boys she would push them to get a job and help out. I saw the same ad a week later begging for food again. and even though she had my number she did not call me again.

We've helped a lot of people and almost all of them wind up right back in the same spot. You can hand them the world but you can't force them to change the behavior that got them there in the first place and if they saw how harmful their actions are they wouldn't do them in the first place. That used to make me mad but now I help because I'm selfish. I know it won't turn out well but I do it because it makes ME feel good to give them the chance to do right.

Hoboes never had it that good.....and I remember when the only bum I ever knew about just said 'I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today'..

I don't mind helping folks in some aspects but I feel these days the more someone tries to help the more free loaders we will have so I don't help anyone unless its someone I truly know.

greybeard":1o6k2lur said:
Hoboes never had it that good.....and I remember when the only bum I ever knew about just said 'I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today'..

And Wimpy didn't even have a phone.

I could relate story after story after story of helping...but here's my philosophy and I try as best as I can: Hebrews 13:2.

BTW....you know why it wrong for a woman to brew coffee....the Word says Hebrews :cboy:

I think most of us has been there and done the same thing one way or another. I tried to help a young man who said he needed $600 to have a water pump put on his old Chevy PU. He was on his way back to college and truck broke. I told him I would not give him the money but would tow him back to my place and replace to water pump free. I left to get a tow strap and when I returned the cops had him handcuffed and placing him in the squad car. I tried to explain I was going to help him but they told me he was a scammer and it was a good thing I hadn't taken him to my place. It's embarrassing and it pi$$es you off to get taken. Would I do it again? Yea - probably.

Latest posts