Got a question?

Help Support CattleToday:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If any of you guys sold a steer for say 600 bucks and it won one of the majors, say Houston and sold for 500,000 then the next year you would have 1000 kids and parents at your door wanting to buy your steers. Are you telling me that with that much demand for your steers you would still sell them for 600 bucks. I don't think so! "

In 2001 we sold a Brahman cross steer to a young man in Navasota for $500. He was Reserve Champion American Breeds Cross, and the steer brought him $40,000.

We still sell steer calves for $600. Sorry to prove you WRONG

In 2001 we sold a Brahman cross steer to a young man in Navasota for $500. He was Reserve Champion American Breeds Cross, and the steer brought him $40,000.

We still sell steer calves for $600. Sorry to prove you WRONG

I am talking about having consistant winners. Maybe he was just a one shot wonder, one of those "good deal" I was talking about on another post. I am also talking about winning Grand Champion at a major. Nobody real big time pays much attention to the ABC's

I see. Winning that wasn't good enough for your comparison.

I didn't say that I think its great that you calf did so well!!! :lol: :lol:

All I am saying is that the CONSISTANT winners are the one's in high demand.

What show was that? I didn't see anybody from Navasota even placing in the ABC or Brahman class in 2001 in Houston or San Antonio.

Showing cattle is like showing horses...Its all politics, I hate politics.

My father raised and trained 4 world grand champion Foxtrotting horses.
I didn't follow him into the business because of the politics.

When a judge looks up to see who is riding or leading the critter, I don't like it. They can't help to notice who's critter it is, but that shouldn't factor into the results....It does!

It took my dad 30 years to win the "Big One" the first time.
The other three came in less than a decade, he had "paid his dues."

If its not a physical contest I'm not interested.
If the winner or loser is decided by someones opinion, leave me out.

Lets hook those steers up to a weighted sled and see who can pull it the farthest...That should be the winner in my book.

Hillbilly

hillbilly":1irxp98v said:
Showing cattle is like showing horses...Its all politics, I hate politics.

My father raised and trained 4 world grand champion Foxtrotting horses.
I didn't follow him into the business because of the politics.

When a judge looks up to see who is riding or leading the critter, I don't like it. They can't help to notice who's critter it is, but that shouldn't factor into the results....It does!

It took my dad 30 years to win the "Big One" the first time.
The other three came in less than a decade, he had "paid his dues."

If its not a physical contest I'm not interested.
If the winner or loser is decided by someones opinion, leave me out.

Lets hook those steers up to a weighted sled and see who can pull it the farthest...That should be the winner in my book.

Hillbilly

I agree and most of the Moms and Dads are playing the game it's not about the kids. If you want to find the really best calf you need a real cattleman like yourself judging the calves. Not some Ricky Rodeo college professor, that doesn't know the difference from cow flop and wild honey.

How can a steer be worth $40,000. That would be some high priced hamberger meet. But i also know somebody would pay that especially if it went to charity.

In Texas there is a cap on what goes to the kid. The rest of the money goes into a scholarship fund.

txshowmom":d8ee55bx said:
In Texas there is a cap on what goes to the kid. The rest of the money goes into a scholarship fund.

That is a very good idea but not all shows are for JR.S.

txshowmom":2f82b31c said:

So what if the kid doesn't go to college so therefore has no use for the scholarship? :roll:

OldTex":3eqy4e9b said:
txshowmom":3eqy4e9b said:

So what if the kid doesn't go to college so therefore has no use for the scholarship? :roll:

The scholarship fund that showmom is talking about is not for the kid that sold the steer, it's a fund where HLS&R funds the scholarships that they give out.

I would like to see that $50,000 aluminum trailer that I keep hearing about on here. My aluminum trailer was only $10,000 for a 24 foot brand new.

polledbull":1l3dsl3y said:
I would like to see that $50,000 aluminum trailer that I keep hearing about on here. My aluminum trailer was only $10,000 for a 24 foot brand new.

Maybe one with living quarters in front?

polledbull":1j19da8c said:
If you bought a 24' all aluminum trailer for only $10,000 you stole it. I would like to know your dealer. Here in east Tn. they are anywhere from $14,000 to $20,000 for a new one $10,000 for a real good used one. :roll: :???:

Latest posts