Gooseneck trailers with dovetail

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 20+5 flatbed gooseneck trailer. Either new or used but in good condition. Looked at a couple brands already but find things I dont like about each. I like the Gatormade best so far. What do you recommend?

Yes to haul tractors but only the smaller ones. Also to haul hay. I have a 20ft now but it is flat with no dovetail. Makes it pretty steep to load the tractors on.

kenny thomas":6pna3wrv said:
Looking to buy a 20+5 flatbed gooseneck trailer. Either new or used but in good condition. Looked at a couple brands already but find things I dont like about each. I like the Gatormade best so far. What do you recommend?
Big Tex

kenny thomas":3tmnfm75 said:
Yes to haul tractors but only the smaller ones. Also to haul hay. I have a 20ft now but it is flat with no dovetail. Makes it pretty steep to load the tractors on.

There is good and bad with both. That dove tail in like dragging and anchor around. It will hang you up on the slightest hill.

We got a Big Tex just like your talking about last year. It's been fine. Has two 10,000 lbs axles under it. Ramps are a little heavy letting them down, not bad picking them up because of the spring assist. If I remember I'll text you a pic.
Don't know how good they are but GoBob has some good looking trailers.

Corn pro makes a heck of a good trailer. They have a 20 + 5 with a foldable dovetail, it uses a jack to raise and lower it and pins to hold it in position. My neighbor has one its a 24000 lb trailer and its a beast.

I have the PJ Trailer in 20+5 and it's worked out fairly well. The ramps are spring assisted for storage. The only thing I don't like about it is where they located the license plate. It gets crunched by the ramp supports when the ramps are in the loading position.
It is true that with the dovetails, going over a high spot will allow the tail end to drag. While I don't recommend it, I have learned that when I forget to store the ramps and start driving off (on dirt), the ramps kick up and store themselves.

jedstivers":141bfcda said:
We got a Big Tex just like your talking about last year. It's been fine. Has two 10,000 lbs axles under it. Ramps are a little heavy letting them down, not bad picking them up because of the spring assist. If I remember I'll text you a pic.
Don't know how good they are but GoBob has some good looking trailers.

Put hydraulics on the ramps jed .. I had an equip trailer at one time that had hydraulics that lifted them and lowered them

just sold my 20+5 gatormade single tandem, debated the dual tandem when i got it now i need a 25+5 dual tandem to haul tractor and roller together. looking at getting a Big Tex there 3500 cheaper than the gatormade just cant see that much difference in the 2.

PJ all the way. Me and two neighbors got a 25+5 with three ramps for a 30 flat deck when needed. Built extremely well and a nice powder coat. Dump trailers are great too.

If you're only hauling smaller equipment, I go with 7K or 8K axles with single tires. Pull it with a 3/4 ton and you can avoid potential CDL/DOT issues that can come with the dual tandem trailers.

Subsoil":1xfn4z62 said:
If you're only hauling smaller equipment, I go with 7K or 8K axles with single tires. Pull it with a 3/4 ton and you can avoid potential CDL/DOT issues that can come with the dual tandem trailers.
I was going to go the other way a little, Kenny I'm sure you know what you need, but I am going to say while we are on trailers, I go alot of tight places and I have never wished that my 27+5 was a 20+5. Seems like to me that there are a lot of things that just do't haul very good on a 20+5 :2cents:

Subsoil":sbajm0u7 said:

It will be pulled with a 3500 Dodge with a diesel and six speed and Im ok with the single wheel I think. 16,000 is big enough for this trailer for sure. The main tractor I will be hauling on it only weighs 4500lb plus the 1000 lbs or so of weights that will also be on the trailer to add to the tractor for pulling. The largest tractor I have will not fit on it but the other 5 will.
Other thoughts. I have recieved some good ideas here and on PM.

Angus Cowman":2hrlpra6 said:
I would recommend a 359 XH pete with atleast a 425 cat with a 13 speed and a 53 ft spread axle aluminum drop deck

but then again the only trailer I have ever pulled I borrowed from a neighbor and hauled my wifes push mower on it
Now thats the way to go, but mine's a 379 with a 500 detroit.

denvermartinfarms":2unitut9 said:
Angus Cowman":2unitut9 said:
I would recommend a 359 XH pete with atleast a 425 cat with a 13 speed and a 53 ft spread axle aluminum drop deck

but then again the only trailer I have ever pulled I borrowed from a neighbor and hauled my wifes push mower on it
Now thats the way to go, but mine's a 379 with a 500 detroit.
I'll wave to y'all as I'm blowing by you on the big hill in my Dubya 9 with the 550. Just try to stay to the right, that 13'8" blade on the new D6T hangs over a bit.

Latest posts