Gooseneck on Short Bed Pickups

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
Some of the new pickup trucks have extremely short beds. For those who have purchased a short-bed pickup, how difficult has it been to rig it for a gooseneck? And once rigged, have you encountered situations where it was extremely difficult to maneuver the truck and trailer? Were those situations few and far between?
Thanks for your input.

Wife's got a 99 Dodge 2500 Ext Cab 6' bed. Had to do a little cutting to get a store-bought hitch put in it. (She wanted a pop-up and all my trucks have homemade ones.) It doesn't turn as sharp as my regular cab long bed Ford and won't hold a light to the flatbeds. I see plenty of folks out there with this type set-up, you just need to pay a little more mind to your cab corner.

cfpinz

I've never seen what the problem is with running a shortbed with a gooseneck.

Most of the hitches are the same, and go just ahead of the rear axle just like on a long bed. I've run a 97 ford shortbed for a long time pulling both a flatbed and stock gooseneck without any problems. I can't imagine wanting to turn one so tight you have to worry about hitting the cab.

I run an '03 Chevy 2500HD with a 6'6" bed with the B&W Gooseneck Hitch which fits 4" in from of the rear axle. I have no problems.

Unless you are in a BAD bind when would you ever want to get the trailer anywhere close to 90 degrees to the direction of the truck?

The biggest problems arise from gooseneck stock trailers that have the tapered hood draping over the box. In those cases, I have heard of more than one guy busting out his back window when turning a corner with a 6 foot box.

Aaron":3byx2i0h said:
The biggest problems arise from gooseneck stock trailers that have the tapered hood draping over the box.

Or worse yet, an untapered box.

cfpinz