Goose hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Don;t know when the season opens but based on the solid stream of geese pouring over here all night there should be a helluva supply of geese south of us.

Flight birds going over here on Friday and early Saturday. Some places got up to 18" of snow north of us, and that helped to move birds. I deer hunted Saturday PM in fog and rain at 34 F. Hundreds of black geese landed in an open field next to me and stayed all afternoon. They would get up, fly around the field. and then land again after a rifle shot.

What is the best thing to keep exterior scope lens from fogging up during soupy weather?

Geese are a major pest around here also. I've never eaten goose, how is it to eat? Seems like there'd be a lot of meat on one.

ohiosteve":2iv5xhw3 said:
Geese are a major pest around here also. I've never eaten goose, how is it to eat? Seems like there'd be a lot of meat on one.

You can eat almost anything with enough cranberries :nod:

ohiosteve":cm8rw7r1 said:
I like them cooked in a browning bag with a wire rack inside the back so the fat doesn;t soak into the back. Stuff them with a couple of different kinds of apples and bake away. Same thing I do with ducks. Some good eating.

ohiosteve":36hlwzec said:
It seems rare these days around here for someone to hunt them, much less eat them. Ducks is a whole nother story.

HDRider":2rrd64yh said:
ohiosteve":2rrd64yh said:
It seems rare these days around here for someone to hunt them, much less eat them. Ducks is a whole nother story.

HeII you have to bring a lawyer with you now to dicipher the regs.
By the time he does they are out of range.

"What is the best thing to keep exterior scope lens from fogging up during soupy weather?"
Keep it and yourself in the house where it's warm, windless, and dry.

greybeard":jpt68o9n said:
"What is the best thing to keep exterior scope lens from fogging up during soupy weather?"
Keep it and yourself in the house where it's warm, windless, and dry.

Virtually everyone on the Washington coast uses those flip up scope covers. i think they are made by Butler Creek? They work but are not 100%. The last elk I shot I had them closed because it was drizzling. I opened them up, shot the elk and right about them the skies opened up. Got down within 30 yards of the elk and he stood up. Flipped up the scope covers and all I could see was fog. Luckily he only went about 30 yards and fell over.

I've tried about every one of the anti fog preps. Just seem to make it worse. Rain-ex was about the only thing that work at all.

Geese must be wherever they're going. Haven;t heard any for the past couple of days/nights.

We are not in the flyway but seems like when I was a kid we would hear them flying over during the night. Maybe they still do and my house is insulated enough that I don't hear them. Growing up we could have thrown a goose through the wall it was so thin.

dun":1if4xdsk said:
Geese must be wherever they're going. Haven;t heard any for the past couple of days/nights.

Still some in the north on deep lakes. As long as there is not snow cover they can work the corn fields.

Folks have been tracking mallard migration by attaching some micro electronics. Said the average move is about 675 miles - - so when they catch a wind they really go.

kenny thomas":fgy96muy said:
We are not in the flyway but seems like when I was a kid we would hear them flying over during the night. Maybe they still do and my house is insulated enough that I don't hear them. Growing up we could have thrown a goose through the wall it was so thin.
Or maybe your ears don't work as well anymore.
Or the geese don't hook as loud. :mrgreen:

jedstivers":2egcges9 said:
kenny thomas":2egcges9 said:
Clearer skys so maybe they are flying higher or the clouds aren;t bouncing the noise down to earth

dun":1nojbjfc said:
jedstivers":1nojbjfc said:
kenny thomas":1nojbjfc said:
Clearer skys so maybe they are flying higher or the clouds aren;t bouncing the noise down to earth
Jeds probably right. My wife says I don't hear so good. Ain't got the heart to tell her I ain't interested in what she is saying.

kenny thomas":3042qvrl said:
dun":3042qvrl said:
jedstivers":3042qvrl said:
Jeds probably right. My wife says I don't hear so good. Ain't got the heart to tell her I ain't interested in what she is saying.
The heart or the balls?

Latest posts