AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
my hay fields and hay barn where my son lives

May of 2017
1600x900.png.5c9f4663ef514550a5b2f0e926754cc9.large

Oct 13th 2018
1600x900.png.325f75a00bda470f82f90ff9ee44af5a.large

M-5":fgeiueg4 said:
Redgully":fgeiueg4 said:
Amazing how much it smashed the trees. I wonder if more trees would have been better or worse.
More trees = more to clean up. It was non discriminate .

Depends. Twice as many trees would have meant twice as much to clean up, but 200 X as many would have blocked a great deal of the wind--would have taken some of the energy out. I've seen it myself in hurricanes here in the middle of the national forest. Rita and Ike both laid down a lot of trees but they were trees that were out in the open or trees that were on the edge of an opening. Homes and barns that were surrounded by national forest (like mine is) fared very good and all out here in the countryside, there was very little structural damage, but inside town limits and closer to town, where there were very few trees, structure damage was everywhere. Of course, if you have that many trees, you won't have much grass either, which defeats the purpose you have set your course on..

greybeard":de05bn1l said:
M-5":de05bn1l said:
Redgully":de05bn1l said:
Amazing how much it smashed the trees. I wonder if more trees would have been better or worse.
More trees = more to clean up. It was non discriminate .

Depends. Twice as many trees would have meant twice as much to clean up, but 200 X as many would have blocked a great deal of the wind--would have taken some of the energy out. I've seen it myself in hurricanes here in the middle of the national forest. Rita and Ike both laid down a lot of trees but they were trees that were out in the open or trees that were on the edge of an opening. Homes and barns that were surrounded by national forest (like mine is) fared very good and all out here in the countryside, there was very little structural damage, but inside town limits and closer to town, where there were very few trees, structure damage was everywhere. Of course, if you have that many trees, you won't have much grass either, which defeats the purpose you have set your course on..
I sure didn't see that to hold true with hurricane Michael. The Apalachicola river swamp is destroyed at Blountstown, and the older planted pine trees are snapped off about 15' or 20' up, thousands of acres are ruined. But yet in the Apalachicola national forest where the pine trees have been thinned and burned look good.

Latest posts