Good weight for a nine month old black angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Lots of variables but I always felt 100# per month of age was alright.

I sell Angus steers straight off their mother at 9mths and aim for 300kg (660lb), a bull I kept last year was 400kg (880lb) at 9mths, but he was my best yet, 300kg is easily achieved on just grass and milk.
Ken

At 9 months I would expect more like 800 to 900, but at least 700. Most bull calves will wean at at least 700 at 6-7 months

tkjpierce3":3r5nq33p said:
To look at him he looks like around 400 to 450
Unless you are way off on the weight he should be a steer calf instead of a bull calf.

harry":i3bzwc1m said:
Lots of variables but I always felt 100# per month of age was alright.

I agree. Around 800# (+/-) While there are variables to consider, Much less than that, I don't think I would be interested weight wise for a herd sire.

fitz

Thank you for your responses, Of course if you can not tell he is my first bull calf to purchase, I have three heifers (first ones too). I am learning. Maybe I just don't have the true eye for weight and just need to have him weighed.

tkjpierce3":1wgj16ym said:
Thank you for your responses, Of course if you can not tell he is my first bull calf to purchase, I have three heifers (first ones too). I am learning. Maybe I just don't have the true eye for weight and just need to have him weighed.
There are tapes thatyou can buy that you use to measure the heart girth that will give you a fairly decent SWAG. Or I'm sure there are sites on the internet that probably has a table for the weight by measuering the heart girth if you only have a tape measure.

I couldn't get the link to work, but this is the formula I've used from Univ. of Arizona.
A google search may work for you. It's a .PDF document that has a drawing that shows where to take the measurements.
I've found the formula to be within 3-5% accurate.

Beef Cattle
1. Measure the length of body, from the point-of-shoulder (A)
to the point-of-rump or pin bone (B).
2. Measure the circumference or heart girth (C). Measure from
a point slightly behind the shoulder blade, down the fore-ribs
and under the body behind the elbow all the way around.
After these measurements are made in inches – use the
following formula.
3. (Heart girth X heart girth X body length) ÷ 300 = weight in
pounds.

dun":1eem74wc said:
tkjpierce3":1eem74wc said:
There are tapes thatyou can buy that you use to measure the heart girth that will give you a fairly decent SWAG. Or I'm sure there are sites on the internet that probably has a table for the weight by measuering the heart girth if you only have a tape measure.
I use a tape and checked it against my brothers scale and was really pleased with how close to the real deal that tape is! Only varied by a few pounds. I just "weighed" my six month old bull calf at weaning and he taped at 63 1/2 " which put him at 715#.

I got the measuring Tape and measured him and he was weight wise 546lbs according to the tape. I guess this is small but he will grow. I will measure again in a week to see his progress. Thanks again for all ya'lls input it was very helpful.

Isomade":xp801rf6 said:
tkjpierce3":xp801rf6 said:
To look at him he looks like around 400 to 450
Unless you are way off on the weight he should be a steer calf instead of a bull calf.
Absolute top notch "low birthweight" bull selection don't cha know..... :lol2:

tkjpierce3":o8dh7ey0 said:
I got the measuring Tape and measured him and he was weight wise 546lbs according to the tape. I guess this is small but he will grow. I will measure again in a week to see his progress. Thanks again for all ya'lls input it was very helpful.
Not a bad weight for a calf at early weaning time

I agree that it can vary, but I would say that he is underweight. We wean off at 750 on the cow/grass only (no creep feeding). Our big bull calves that we send to customers (frame 6) calves will push 900 pounds. What kind of bloodlines and what kind of area do you have him in?

If you are using him on a few heifers no big deal. Get them bred then steer the bull. Find a better bull for your next calf crop. Just hope that you did not drop too much :2cents: for him.

wrightwayangus":2rcrp5r6 said:
I agree that it can vary, but I would say that he is underweight. We wean off at 750 on the cow/grass only (no creep feeding). Our big bull calves that we send to customers (frame 6) calves will push 900 pounds. What kind of bloodlines and what kind of area do you have him in?

Sire: TC Total 410
Dam: Future Direction Daughter
I am in Gulf coast of Texas....He has gained 46 lbs according to the measuring tape in one week. I hope he will grow I am concerned though considering ...

tkjpierce3":1i564ghw said:
wrightwayangus":1i564ghw said:

Sire: TC Total 410
Dam: Future Direction Daughter
I am in Gulf coast of Texas....He has gained 46 lbs according to the measuring tape in one week. I hope he will grow I am concerned though considering ...
I would try measuring him again. By my poor math skills thats better then 6 pounds a day

Latest posts